Most unlistenable album you spent good money on...

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited June 2015
    mike_l said:
    Samgb;665726" said:

...And Justice For All is the No.1 album in history that would benefit massively from a complete remix/remastering.
    Have you heard st anger?

Justice needs remixing and remastering, the songs are awesomes. especially live, when the bass is audible.

This has been around for a while.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2015
    Reverend said:
    Death Pierce Me is fantastic. 
    One if the best dsbm records ever.

I'm guessing the likes of Sutcliffe Jugend, WOLD, Prurient etc might be might be of interest. .. ha ha
    @Reverend You know more about this sort of thing than me (or most people to be fair)... what do you think to the rumours? Obviously a lot of it is bullshit, but do you think it's all bullshit?

I think Sutcliffe Jugend is somehow related to Whitehouse, isn't it? I've listened to Whitehouse and found it extremely unpleasant. I also listened to "Hole in the Heart" by Ramleh, who I found out about at the same time, and I was blown away by how great it was.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22829
    I've never heard of DSBM before, had to look it up.  You learn something new every day...

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Philly_Q said:
    I've never heard of DSBM before, had to look it up.  You learn something new every day...

I like most metal a great deal but I can't really hack depressive black metal to be honest.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149

In agreement with many others re Trout Mask Replica, remember buying that, trying to listen to it several times and eventually giving up. Just as a good riff got going the Captain went off on a weird one and it totally threw me. I seem to recall it went to my brother as a Christmas gift.

Grace by Jeff Buckley, another album I just couldn't get in to.

• XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Wulfhere said:
    Inspired by this thread, I'm driving to London and back tomorrow and have put a playlist together with RHCP Stadium Arcadium and Gorillaz Demon Days. I enjoy a challenge.
    Further to my earlier answer, I did my trip to London yesterday with both these albums on. Actually I think they might be growers! Demon Days was good - I liked Gorillaz first album but I was put off with this at the time, I think the track 'Kids with guns' was what did it for me... sometimes I can find Damon Albarn a bit patronising.

The RHCP album was a surprise, this was the first time I'd listened to it all the way through. I think the heavy dynamic range compression and harsh midrange hadn't suited any environment I'd listened to it before (namely either decent headphones or speakers), but at 70mph on the motorway with tyre roar and climate control on full the background noise made it much more bearable. I don't think either album is up to the standard of their forbears (especially Blood Sugar Sex Magic), but I've got a bit more driving to do over the next couple of days and I'm going to keep them on.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    Wulfhere said:
    The RHCP album was a surprise, this was the first time I'd listened to it all the way through. I think the heavy dynamic range compression and harsh midrange hadn't suited any environment I'd listened to it before (namely either decent headphones or speakers), but at 70mph on the motorway with tyre roar and climate control on full the background noise made it much more bearable. I don't think either album is up to the standard of their forbears (especially Blood Sugar Sex Magic), but I've got a bit more driving to do over the next couple of days and I'm going to keep them on.
    I really like Stadium Arcadium - although it may have been better as a long single album, there's quite a bit of duff stuff on it - and BSSM is my least favourite RHCP (with Frusciante) album…

I like Gorillaz too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    ICBM said:
    I really like Stadium Arcadium - although it may have been better as a long single album, there's quite a bit of duff stuff on it - and BSSM is my least favourite RHCP (with Frusciante) album…

There's a minority opinion. I don't entirely disagree- BSSM is way too long and everything starts to blur in to one long trudge through slap-bass whiteboy-rap hell after a while. The false teeth era Frusciante albums are much more varied and shorter (with the obvious exception of Stadium Arcadium).

What do I know though? I like One Hot Minute.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Rickyd said:

The biggest sacred cow ever. There are 4 good songs on that album and he didnt write 2 of them.

Jeff/Tim = Julian/John
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    Samgb said:
    Rickyd said:

The biggest sacred cow ever. There are 4 good songs on that album and he didnt write 2 of them.
    And worse, every single time anyone mentions "covers that are better than the original", Hallelujah 'by Jeff Buckley' is always right at the top of the list…

It really isn't. It *is* better than Alexandra Burke's version, but Leonard Cohen's original trumps any other version by an enormous margin, and always will.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    CHRISB50 said:

I bought a Black Country Communion album, I think the self titled one.

Utter shite.

Have to agree with that.  Bland, lifeless and by the numbers.

Mine is Miles Davis Bitches' Brew - especially the first half.  Smack induced din of the worst kind. (And I'm a Miles Davis fanboi)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    ICBM said:
    Samgb said:
    Rickyd said:

And worse, every single time anyone mentions "covers that are better than the original", Hallelujah 'by Jeff Buckley' is always right at the top of the list…

It really isn't. It *is* better than Alexandra Burke's version, but Leonard Cohen's original trumps any other version by an enormous margin, and always will.
    John Cale's version is better as well
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Jalapeno said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Utter shite.

I was daft enough to get the second album too.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Samgb said:
    John Cale's version is better as well
    Wise words.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Jalapeno said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Utter shite.

me too - the triumph of optimism over experience. I think it's the first track on the first album I like and then it's all meh. The truly abysmal production doesn't help, although Glenn Fat Thin Fat Thin Hughes is in good vocal form.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22829
    Jalapeno said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Utter shite.

me too - the triumph of optimism over experience. I think it's the first track on the first album I like and then it's all meh. The truly abysmal production doesn't help, although Glenn Fat Thin Fat Thin Hughes is in good vocal form.

I was very disappointed with the first album and I don't think I bought the second (...but maybe I did).

I was looking forward to hearing Joe Bonamassa in a hard rock context.... it was really quite surprising to find that "Joes does rock" actually means "Joe does a not-very-good impersonation of Eric Johnson".  The songs weren't much cop either.