Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    FarleyUK;1112636" said:
    Yep, that seems fine now ta - I didn't realise all the blocks after the return block are actually the FX loop :)

However, I've noticed what I think is clipping - especially when hitting the bottom E and A strings. Kind of like a 'quack', sounds like the clipping on the GT100 I used previously. What's the best way to eliminate this?

Should I alter the return and send values? Or the path send?
    Do you mean clipping coming through your amp? You're going 4cm yeah?

Or do you mean through pedals that you have in the loop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    Oooh matron!

My knob is fully engaged as I was advised that leads to unity gain. Discovered last night that by reducing the return block to -5db the clipping goes :)

The clipping was via 4cm in the Helix.
  • I always disable the volume knob (oo er) and it seems to be at unity as standard. Plus no chance of knocking it during a gig.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    FarleyUK said:
    Oooh matron!

My knob is fully engaged as I was advised that leads to unity gain. Discovered last night that by reducing the return block to -5db the clipping goes :)

No it is at unity about 1 o'clock Full up is way too hot (obviously it's patch dependent)
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    All the demos I've heard of the Helix sound great, but they have one thing in common: a subtle delay effect on the tail that serves to make the sound 'big'.

What does the Helix sound like if you turn that effect off?
    Not as good :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice rig
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

5 pedals BESIDES the Helix ? What are those 5 things that them there pedals do better then ? Is that an SP Compressor I sees ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular;1116438" said:
    Nice rig
    Why thank you :D

siraxeman;1116565" said:
    5 pedals BESIDES the Helix ? What are those 5 things that them there pedals do better then ? Is that an SP Compressor I sees ?
    Lol yeah, the compressors on the Helix are great but I've always thought there was a little magic in the SP... Although I can get really close in the helix, the SP just makes me want to play it.

The three drive pedals... Well, like a lot of us I've been through a shit load of drive pedals but I never ever ended up with an OCD or Timmt or Rat or basically any of the drive pedals in the Helix so even though some of them are pretty good I'm going to stick with the ones that took me 20 years to settle on!

The other thing is a Lovepedal Vibronaut. The vibe on the Helix just doesn't do it for me whereas that pedal literally makes me a little giddy
    edited June 2016
    Ps. The BB, ODR-1 and SP are in the loops. The Vibronaut and Zendrive are out front.

That's ok though because when the Zendrive gets switched on there will only ever be a bit of reverb or short delay and that's it. Shits about to go down :')
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited June 2016

I expect to see your Helix in the Classifieds also....soon! ;) What DO you actually use and like in the Helix on a regular basis ?

edited June 2016
    siraxeman;1116638" said:
    I expect to see your Helix in the Classifieds also....soon! ;) What DO you actually use and like in the Helix on a regular basis ?
    Nah I'm not a huge gear flipper.

I've only recently got the Helix but things I've been using are:

Throaty wah- A/B'd it against my Buddy Guy and RMC Picture wah and I think I might actually prefer it

Deluxe Compressor- great compressor, will still use this for certain applications

Tape Delay for general delay purposes and the Elephant Man for everything else

Chorus is great and I prefer it to the 70's one which is strange because I usually go for Ce1 emulations

63 Spring reverb

Script Phaser is great

Amp model wise I've been using the Soldano clean and crunch live. I haven't knocked up a cable for it to change my Cornford channels yet so I was using the Soldano clean and my amp dirty channel with a high and low cut on the Soldano but not on the amp channel and switching between them with one button in a patch

I also like the Bogner shiva amp model, the Plexi brt (squirelly bits aside) and the Matchless channel 1.

Mainly I like the big fuck off screen, the ease of use, USB audio and the flexibility.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Oooh matron!

No it is at unity about 1 o'clock Full up is way too hot (obviously it's patch dependent)
    I think going 4CM needs the volume at 100%. Tried it at 1 o'clock at the gig on Saturday, and the volume was much quieter than direct to the amp with the guitar; with the Helix volume at 100% it was the same level.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    FarleyUK;1117715" said:
    Cabicular said:

FarleyUK said:

Oooh matron!

No it is at unity about 1 o'clock

Full up is way too hot (obviously it's patch dependent)

I think going 4CM needs the volume at 100%. Tried it at 1 o'clock at the gig on Saturday, and the volume was much quieter than direct to the amp with the guitar; with the Helix volume at 100% it was the same level.
    Seems to depend a bit on the amp/loop, maybe? At full whack the helix is way too hot 4cm into my tweaker. Midday to 1 o'clock seems about right.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24407
    Are there any FRFR powered cabs that are any good with bass?

I have a lovely guitar and bass cab, but I swap instruments a lot and the cable swaps annoy me.
    I think you'd need a sub in the equation TBH
    We do route the bass through the PA but only when we have the sub.. otherwise its a waste of time
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Are there any FRFR powered cabs that are any good with bass?

I have a lovely guitar and bass cab, but I swap instruments a lot and the cable swaps annoy me.
    It really depends on how loud you like things.  I've used a RCF 715a with bass and it sounds great, just don't expect the thump of a wound up Ampeg stack ;)
    done a quick run through of the new pickups in my PRS using Helix, dont know if anyone cares... and i mean it was a quick one take run through!