Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    FarleyUK said:
    I'm going to ask a possibly dumb question.... I'm using the Helix in 4CM, but would like to try some of the in built amp models. How do I go about setting this up?

Is it something like Guitar input -> S/R block -> Helix Amp Block -> Output?

And then just disable the S/R block so only my amp's poweramp is in use, and the Helix's Amp model can be used properly?
    Yes 
    Just take the 1\4 out into the amp return and disable your S\R block. You might still want to put some cab emulation in (some do.. I don't)
    Be aware you will have to roll off a TON of top end to make it sound decent. Best way is to put a simple EQ block in that you then diable when you go back to 4cm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    I'm going to ask a possibly dumb question.... I'm using the Helix in 4CM, but would like to try some of the in built amp models. How do I go about setting this up?

Is it something like Guitar input -> S/R block -> Helix Amp Block -> Output?

And then just disable the S/R block so only my amp's poweramp is in use, and the Helix's Amp model can be used properly?
    Yes 
    Just take the 1\4 out into the amp return and disable your S\R block. You might still want to put some cab emulation in (some do.. I don't)
    Be aware you will have to roll off a TON of top end to make it sound decent. Best way is to put a simple EQ block in that you then diable when you go back to 4cm

Great, cheers - just tried the new Line 6 2204 Mod preamp - sounds awesome!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    there is a lot to be said for keeping everyhting in the box in terms of flexibility
  • FarleyUK said:
    Updated, but don't use the in built amps. People are saying it sounds like Line 6 have somehow made everything sound tighter as well....

I've found a couple of snags with Snapshots though:

1. My snapshot 1 has a delay block that has the time param controlled by EXP2. However, in snapshot 2, I want the delay time to be locked to a specific time; doesn't look like this is possible.

2. I use MIDI to connect to my JVM410HJS and change channels etc. Previously I used Program Changes but was advised to use the CC messages in Command Center (as the PC messages are not stored uniquely across setlists - so any PC messages on 01A of setlist 3 will be the same for 01A of setlist 4 etc.). However, the CC messages in Command Center on Snapshots will not let me change the CC# between snapshots - only the value.

1) Yep. Set Global Settings > EXP Pedals > EXP 2 Pedal Position to "Per Snapshot."
    2) Answered on the Line 6 forums.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • the Line 6 dud eon the forum says they haven't touched it. They are either talking shit or I'm going mad
    I believe Ben might've tweaked a couple tiny things in the background, but we're far from finished. The model defaults were changed as well, but anyone could've gotten there before.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28230
    Mr Igloo - any indication on MIDI clock?

Also good work and all that. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Digital_Igloo;1142372" said:
    johnonguitar said:

the Line 6 dud eon the forum says they haven't touched it. They are either talking shit or I'm going mad

I believe Ben might've tweaked a couple tiny things in the background, but we're far from finished. The model defaults were changed as well, but anyone could've gotten there before.
    Well whatever happened that plexi model I'd been moaning about doesn't bug me anymore so that's me pretty much happy. It means even the onboard pedals sound better through it.

Cheers guys. Jobs a gooddun as far as I'm concerned
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    So I made a quick recording - updated - did the same recording

Pasted together.

Can you hear a difference

P90s loaded Tele into the Plexi Brt - amp and cab module as it loads up in helix

Teetonetal;1142592" said:
    So I made a quick recording - updated - did the same recording

Pasted together.

Can you hear a difference

P90s loaded Tele into the Plexi Brt - amp and cab module as it loads up in helix

I'm on my iPhone but the second clip chords and lead sounds like the 2.0
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited July 2016
    Cabicular;1135760" said:
    And when I say amps I mean Amps with a capital A
    Give you an example of what gets left behind when I take the Helix out
    Friedman BE100
    Matchless DC 30
    Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
    DR Z Maz 38 anniversary
    Mesa Boogie MKIV
    Fender Twin
    Blackstar Artisan 30 and 15
    Budda Superdrive (pre peavy)
    Two rock studio 35, Jet 22 and Gainmaster 22

So I'm not just someone who doesn't know what a good amp sounds like ..

It's THAT good?!?!
    I have some similar amps but no Helix...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    It's brilliant.

Over the last few years I've had Mesa. Suhr, Friedman, Fender, EVH etc and although they went before I got the Helix I don't miss them at all.

And for bass use I've managed to cut my frankly stupid pedal board to just needing 2 external pedals in the Helix loops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nearly forgot, I said a couple pages back about he Helix freezing after the tuner. With a massive latency thingy. Turned out it was Logic and nothing to do with Helix. Although it was strange that it kept getting triggered by the tuner. Either way the helix was solid
  • andyoz said:
    Cabicular;1135760" said:
    And when I say amps I mean Amps with a capital A
    Give you an example of what gets left behind when I take the Helix out
    Friedman BE100
    Matchless DC 30
    Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
    DR Z Maz 38 anniversary
    Mesa Boogie MKIV
    Fender Twin
    Blackstar Artisan 30 and 15
    Budda Superdrive (pre peavy)
    Two rock studio 35, Jet 22 and Gainmaster 22

So I'm not just someone who doesn't know what a good amp sounds like ..

It's THAT good?!?!
    I have some similar amps but no Helix...
    It is that good. I have had numerous amps over the years, pared down now to two Fenders (Blackface Twin and tweed Blues Deluxe) an all original Marshall single channel no reverb JCM800 50wt (with an original 1968 cab circa 1968) A Mesa/Boogie Subway Rocket and a rebuilt 1960's rebadged Selmer upright 2 x 12" 40wt combo by John Dickinson. Each has its good and bad points. My old rig (when I still had folk to carry stuff around for me) was an old-fashioned pedalboard the size of a Victorian child's coffin and the Marshall one side and the twin the other. I now use the Dickinson 2 x 12" and the Helix...and it is better and more versatile by unmeasurable factors. And a damn side lighter too. And the sounds are fab, the flexibility amazing...and the waiting list has just gone up to three months or so.

edited July 2016
    the waiting list has just gone up to three months or so.
    Andertons are saying 10+ in stock.
  • xtroublextrouble Frets: 84
    Just bought one of these, will be here tomorrow. 

So much for downsizing !

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    My "yet another covers band" is just starting to take shape and I've come to the conclusion that:

a) I'm shit at tap dancing with pedals

b) I need a few different sounds

I have the obligatory handful of drive peals even though I play "clean" most of the time.

I have also started to use the Strymon Mobius that I've had for 2 years but has sat doing nothing.

I've come to the conclusion that the Helix offers a good / flexible solution and that I can patch in drive pedals if I really can't replicate the tones with the Helix. I'm happy with that scenario.

However - I don't really want to have a Pedal board that has Helix AND Mobius. So, my question is, can the Helix replace the Mobius?

I use the Mobius for Light Chorus (think its the "digital model" that I use - I set the mix low so that its pretty subtle). 

I also use the Phaser for a few songs and I have to say that I'm hooked on the sound that it produces. I think its the 12 stage Phaser (maybe its only 8!) but I love the thick and chewy tone that it gives for funk playing.

I suspect that this is the sound that the Helix won't be able to cover - any ideas whether it can get close?

• Sporky said:
    the waiting list has just gone up to three months or so.
    Andertons are saying 10+ in stock.

Bad guess on my part then. :( Dash it all.
    exocet said:
    However - I don't really want to have a Pedal board that has Helix AND Mobius. So, my question is, can the Helix replace the Mobius?

I use the Mobius for Light Chorus (think its the "digital model" that I use - I set the mix low so that its pretty subtle). 

I also use the Phaser for a few songs and I have to say that I'm hooked on the sound that it produces. I think its the 12 stage Phaser (maybe its only 8!) but I love the thick and chewy tone that it gives for funk playing.

I suspect that this is the sound that the Helix won't be able to cover - any ideas whether it can get close?
    I think it depends how picky you are. I'm not a big chorus user; the Helix one sounds fine.

The Deluxe Phaser block is very good. I think it goes up to 16 stages. The only weakness for me is that the rise and fall modes aren't endless.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Sporky said:
    exocet said:

I think it depends how picky you are. I'm not a big chorus user; the Helix one sounds fine.

The Deluxe Phaser block is very good. I think it goes up to 16 stages. The only weakness for me is that the rise and fall modes aren't endless.
    I don't think I'm that fussy - I didn't realise that the Deluxe Phaser did 16 stages....for some reason I'd got it into my mind that Helix only did up to 4 stages.
    Yup - just checked; 2-16 stages. It does get quite thick.

I think V2.0 added some extra chorus options too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom