Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    John_A said:
    A bit of help from someone?  Is there any way I can set up a two cabs like in the video above AND have a pre-cab split going to another path for the 1/4 out?  The whole 'paths' thing confuses me a bit :)
    Look back a bit at my picture
    its a couple of pages back
    it's not exactly like that but you could see how it could be done
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You just probably need to put the cabs on path 2 and out put on path 1 direct and path 1a to the path 2
    im packed for a gig but I can play about later in the week if you want
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Cheers, if you would it would be appreciated, I cant figure it out :)
    I spent ages trying out various bits and bobs but it requires some 3D mental gymnastics that I really struggle with
    many a time I've ended up with a pencil and a bit of paper!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28311
    Aye - that was going to be my suggestion.

I think there is a way but you'd need to use either a lot of jumper cables or part of path 2.

You can use the FX send/returns with patch leads across 'em to split paths into sections, but you use a fair few blocks up doing it. I posted a drawering of how you'd do it a fair few pages ago.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/Helix routing.png
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Aye - that was going to be my suggestion.

I think there is a way but you'd need to use either a lot of jumper cables or part of path 2.

You can use the FX send/returns with patch leads across 'em to split paths into sections, but you use a fair few blocks up doing it. I posted a drawering of how you'd do it a fair few pages ago.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/Helix routing.png
    My head just exploded

I thought I was doing good yesterday when I had my electric on path 1 and acoustic on path 2!

that was the first time using the acoustic. Can't really report too much as unfortunately I was unable to hear most of what I was playing all gig. However what I did hear was that those Taylor IR's that are kicking around seem to do a job

Thanks for that.  My head just exploded too!

Looks like it might do the trick, but as you say it uses a fair few blocks.  The internal routing could be a bit more flexible, and it's odd that you are limited by how much you can fit on the screen.

It seems you really start to run in to limitations if you want to process 2 different outputs separately, maybe a combination of 'virtual send returns' and the ability to put FX blocks in them would do the trick.  I'd put it on Ideascale but couldn't verbalise it, and the Numpties asking for a built in drum machine probably wouldn't get it either ;)

I could try drawing it up in a manner which'd be more appropriate to the task at hand.
    Sporky said:
    I could try drawing it up in a manner which'd be more appropriate to the task at hand

Thanks, but I don't think I'm going to start using patch leads to wire stuff up, It already sounds great, just thought the dual cab 'delay trick' sounded really good, but I'll live without it.  Hopefully a future firmware update will come up with a neat solution

Cheers :)

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Sporky said:
    Also I would like a pattern tremolo, and/or a model of the ZVex seektrem.
    You know, I would like to see them add something like the EHX 8 step as an expression option. so that you can control any parameter with 8 different values, all synced to TAP Tempo.

I currently do this, with an 8 step connect to an EXP in.. but they could easily integrate it, along with LFOs

Then you would have the pattern trem, without needing an effect for it

That's one of the things that disappointed me with the helix. The m series had a pattern tremolo and a few step filter effects which were great. The helix was lacking that and more options on the synth sounds. It's a shame
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    It's early days, I would bet there's going to be more effects in the future firmware releases
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Another Helix gig last night I'm really getting into the swing of it but the snapshots are actually getting in my way
    its not how I work on stage so I'm constantly pressing pedals to clear them off the screen
    im going to take them off the footswitches I think
  • Cabicular said:
    Another Helix gig last night I'm really getting into the swing of it but the snapshots are actually getting in my way
    its not how I work on stage so I'm constantly pressing pedals to clear them off the screen
    im going to take them off the footswitches I think
    Yeah I think for me and what I need to do week to week at the moment with varying set lists it would be good to have maybe 2-3 snapshots and the rest just pedal mode. 10 switches of course.

Going to have a quick rejig of my board today so might as well rejig my "digital" board too
    Another Helix gig for me too last night. Got four snapshots set up with the Jcm800, the first three are cleanish, dirtyish, dirty, with a couple of delays and stuff on the top 4 buttons, snapshot 4 is my 'solo' button.  Sat on that one patch all night, sounded great. 
  • The synths are pretty weak.

My ancient Digitech Bass Synth Wah has better tracking and better control and better sound options.

I'd love to have the Helix do what the pedal can do - with the added bonus of parameter changes.

A digitech bass synth wah model of all modes and assignable expression pedal. 

I wish the bass synth wah had exp input. But bar that, it's darn good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx said:
    The people having problems haven't followed the instructions properly - you have to reset the unit to factory status and then re-import your presets. Then you'll have no problems.

I'm playing with a Helix right now, and have been all week. I am really impressed, but at the moment I don't think I can quite justify having an all-Strymon board, three valve amps, and a Helix also!
    You got a helix...? Very interested to hear how you think it stacks up..
    No. I borrowed one. I have to give it back tomorrow.

Try these clips on for size:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/Bounces.zip

Everything going into the same impulse. Two are real amps, the rest are Helix.

If anyone was actually curious about these, 11 and 12 were the real amps. Everything else was Helix.
  • I enjoy reading this thread regularly..  dunno why because for me £900+ for a floorboard in a pub band seems a bit risky given the state of some of the clientelle I've known.. beer spillage etc...   I'd probably make do with a HD500X..

but you never know.. it does seem very good and probably more akin to my use case than a Kemper.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Drew_fx said:

If anyone was actually curious about these, 11 and 12 were the real amps. Everything else was Helix.
    Interesting.

I liked them all; I did not feel I could make any useful guesses about which were "real".
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Sporky said:
    Drew_fx said:

Interesting.

I liked them all; I did not feel I could make any useful guesses about which were "real".
    I couldn't tell what was real or not. I didn't like 4,5,6 and 10 - but that is probably more to me not liking those specific sounds, rather than any modeler issue, pretty sure I could set most real amps up to not sound good if I wanted. Modelers no different.

Good job helix.

I'm still convinced that biggest issue people have with modelers is comparing them to a room sound, rather than a recorded sound. Very different things.
  • Where is the current cheapest place to get a Helix in europe?
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life