Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26704
    Cabicular said:
    Problem I have with all this is that SS equipment just doesn't compete with a live drummer
    Maybe this will be there one that will be different
    If not they are getting close
    I know. The regular complaints from people who can't hear the guitars at Steve Vai, Metallica and Periphery gigs are proof of that.

Oh, wait.

:P
    <space for hire>
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Cabicular said:

Problem I have with all this is that SS equipment just doesn't compete with a live drummer

The power stage isnt included. Use a tube power amp with it if thats your bag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a difference between not liking something, and it not being able to compete with a drummer.

If you pick the right power amp it shouldn't have any trouble.

I've got plenty of volume left in the tank with my setup (GT1000FX and two 2x12s).  Or if you were really concerned you might have to demolish a building you could go full Clarky and run two 4x12s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27156
    Obviously the proof of "feel" in particular is in the eating, so to speak, but this does look and sound like a mighty good bit of kit.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I dont think I can make a judgement over youtube through a laptop. 
    It looks great, looks quite big as well, i'm not massively sold on the modelling (but its not something I look for), personally speaking I am not sure I need that level of switching (a smaller model would be cool).
    My main bulking point is the price. Line 6 have made alright stuff over the years at a reasonable price but the Helix seems a little like Pot noodles going gourmet 

IMO/YMMV/and all that other jazz
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4562
    I can't wait for the fretboard helix tour.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I really want one, but I've got as much chance of finding the cash as I have of finding god.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    The first few minutes of the Andertons vid were....meh.....but it got better and better.  Im not sure I need one, or would use it to anywhere near its full potential. But it sounds bloody nice.
    Yeah, I like Chappers but he should have handed the guitar to Mr Hindmarsh a lot sooner than he did.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    Blimey, I hate anything with a USB port but I'm gassing just a little bit for the Helix...Paul Hindmarsh isn't helping though :)
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I want a cheap version but its hard to see what features they could cut out. I know a lot of companies don't like to do cut-down versions since it hurts the brand image if you're selling it based on usability then say, release one without the big screen that makes it usable.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I thought it quite telling that near the end when Lee asked for something clean (he mentioned John Mayer) and then suggested a Two Rock, the only option was the /13 model that they'd used previously. Its the thing I always listen for, how good is the clean amp/pushed clean amp modelling?. I certainly wasn't impressed if thats all thats on offer.

I also dont have the respect for Line 6 that some obviously have. I have a POD XT , had it for years and in the early years I allowed L6 to update the firmware and one time they went just a bit too far and wrecked a number of the amp sims so that I had to unwind back to a previous version. Shortly after that episode they announced the new paid for amp sims, and it seems they were downgrading the onboard sims to free up memory space for added new ones. Haven't trusted them since....
    hywelg said:
    I thought it quite telling that near the end when Lee asked for something clean (he mentioned John Mayer) and then suggested a Two Rock, the only option was the /13 model that they'd used previously. Its the thing I always listen for, how good is the clean amp/pushed clean amp modelling?. I certainly wasn't impressed if thats all thats on offer.

That was just down to the patches that Paul Hindmarsh had set up for the demo I think. I should imagine there'll be more clean tones when they go through the fx in the next video. Well, I hope so anyway.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    hywelg said:
     Shortly after that episode they announced the new paid for amp sims, and it seems they were downgrading the onboard sims to free up memory space for added new ones. Haven't trusted them since....
    I seriously doubt that. It might've been a bug that snuck in perhaps, but working in software I can tell you, they wouldn't deliberately fuck backwards compatibility for *everyone* just to sell some model packs. It makes little business sense to do so.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    hywelg said:

I also dont have the respect for Line 6 that some obviously have. I have a POD XT , had it for years and in the early years I allowed L6 to update the firmware and one time they went just a bit too far and wrecked a number of the amp sims so that I had to unwind back to a previous version. Shortly after that episode they announced the new paid for amp sims, and it seems they were downgrading the onboard sims to free up memory space for added new ones. Haven't trusted them since....

The only two rock Paul is familiar with is mine and I spend most of my time playing van halen through it so I wouldn't read too much into that
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Drew_fx said:
    hywelg said:
     Shortly after that episode they announced the new paid for amp sims, and it seems they were downgrading the onboard sims to free up memory space for added new ones. Haven't trusted them since....
    I seriously doubt that. It might've been a bug that snuck in perhaps, but working in software I can tell you, they wouldn't deliberately fuck backwards compatibility for *everyone* just to sell some model packs. It makes little business sense to do so.
    It wasn't backwards compatabilty so much as amp model downgrading. I was still able to return to a previous firmware version, but in order to install the new amp sims you had to have the latest firmware. And this is way back, when memory was measure in kilobytes. 2006 I think. And I do remember some mention on the internet at the time that this is what happened so it must be true......
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ...riiiight
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    I know. The regular complaints from people who can't hear the guitars at Steve Vai, Metallica and Periphery gigs are proof of that.

Oh, wait.

Arsehole Sarcasm aside Steve Vai and Metallica known for using solid state amps? They certainly weren't when I saw them live..Carvins Fender twins and dual rectifiers were very much the order of the day And for the record I did say I liked the sound the issue is is it ready to plug straight in the PA and do away with say my Matchless I know Paul does (but he spends all his time demoing this stuff so is more comfortable with it.) I also know he used to run it though the fx loop to use the power section of a vintage modern head because in rock it's hard to compete with a valve power section Pantera did I guess but to be honest I couldn't hear Dimebags guitar very well live. ( although that may have been the night, I saw Vai on the sex and religion tour in Madrid and couldn't hear a not he was playing due to the sound guys mixing from the balcony)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26704
    edited August 2015
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:

Oh, wait.

Arsehole Sarcasm aside Steve Vai and Metallica known for using solid state amps? They certainly weren't when I saw them live..Carvins Fender twins and dual rectifiers were very much the order of the day And for the record I did say I liked the sound the issue is is it ready to plug straight in the PA and do away with say my Matchless I know Paul does (but he spends all his time demoing this stuff so is more comfortable with it.) I also know he used to run it though the fx loop to use the power section of a vintage modern head because in rock it's hard to compete with a valve power section Pantera did I guess but to be honest I couldn't hear Dimebags guitar very well live. ( although that may have been the night, I saw Vai on the sex and religion tour in Madrid and couldn't hear a not he was playing due to the sound guys mixing from the balcony)
    All three of those acts use Fractal Axe FX IIs live (EDIT: being less sarcastic. Rough night). Which is why I mentioned them.
    <space for hire>
    With SS power sections? I didn't know that I saw Vai fairly recently and he was still using his legacy and fender combination on stage