Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I want one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm interested but haven't heard anything on par with axe fx or kemper yet. It'll be interesting once there's a slew of user demos without tons of delay and compression
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    If I get time I will try and do a couple of videos of the basic amp tones through an amp. I'm taking my Boogie down to try 4 cable method as well as switching capabilities too. Can't wait!

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    So, anyone ordering one as a preorder?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Thinking about it!
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    Thinking about it!

well be a mexi'can' not a mexi'cant' I'd love to try it, and I really hope it's an axe fx beater
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

thorpy6 said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Thinking about it!

well be a mexi'can' not a mexi'cant' I'd love to try it, and I really hope it's an axe fx beater

I think it depends on what your criteria would be. If you are looking for something that will be easy to use and program, then you will be better off with the Helix. The customisable scribble strips for example are a brilliant idea. The big clear screen and looks of the thing are second to none.

Tone wise though I think it's going to be a question of how close can it get to the Axe FX, rather than can it beat it.

Tone wise though I think it's going to be a question of how close can it get to the Axe FX, rather than can it beat it.

What makes you say that?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26797

I'm also confused here. What's your logic?
    <space for hire>
    tFB Trader

I'm also confused here. What's your logic?

wishful thinking?
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Fractal's marketing? ;)
  • ElectroDan said: Tone wise though I think it's going to be a question of how close can it get to the Axe FX, rather than can it beat it.
    Line 6 has zero interest in chasing other companies' products. Our goal has always been to nail the sound of the original amps and pedals, to a fault if necessary.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ElectroDan said: Tone wise though I think it's going to be a question of how close can it get to the Axe FX, rather than can it beat it.
    Line 6 has zero interest in chasing other companies' products. Our goal has always been to nail the sound of the original amps and pedals, to a fault if necessary.

I can vouch for this. I worked for Line 6 a bunch of years ago and even on the earlier modelling which was no where close to as advanced as it is now, there were faults that were modelled. The example that stands out in my memory was the JTM45 model. The filter caps on the one we had were a little worn and gave that subtle octave below when you sustained certain notes. You would miss it if it wasn't pointed out to you but it was there. Great selling pitch.

Like Mr. Igloo says, we're not really interested in being the "insert product here" killer. If we get some of the competitions market, great. We still need to feed our kids after all. What we want to do is provide solutions for guitarists, synth players, drummers, gigging bands etc. Give you a product that fulfills a need. I think with Helix, it's pretty much covered everything you could want/ need.

With regards to the tone, if we take the scenario that we were going after Fractal, how close would close enough be? You have to remember that any amp they have modelled would be slightly (or even significantly) different to the one we have. Particularly vintage amps so a direct A/B comparison is almost irrelevant. If it was down to dynamics and feel, again, amps can respond differently so almost impossible to do an accurate comparison. BTW, This isn't me being a dick or trying to catch anyone out. I like to know what I'm up against in the market place so I can develop my sales pitch. ;-)

Another amp that springs to mind was the JCM 800 model on Flextone III. It actaully got changed in one of the updates. It was originally a stock 800 but the 800 in peoples heads more often than not were modded so we got a modded one (Bogner IIRC).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2015

Not a great picture but here is our little museum.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd love to work for Yamaha or Line 6 right now!

I've hardcore dissed Line 6 in the past. I make no secret of that, and my shitposting has gotten the better of me time and time again, and probably will in the future! But the Helix on paper really does look like *THE* product I - and many others - have been nagging Line 6 and many other companies for, for the best part of 8 years.

Even 8 years ago the idea of being limited to one delay slot, one reverb slot, one drive slot, and one slot being locked to pitch effects when I literally NEVER use pitch effects... it just seemed bonkers and utterly antiquated.

I grew up with Fruityloops and Reason on my PC. I grew up with the ultimate freedom of routing loads of plugins together, one after the other, as many delays as I wanted, as many crazy glitch effects as I could find, etc... etc... and that's what I wanted from a multi-fx unit.

I just utterly balked when I tried my first few multi-fx units. They always had problems.

I'm not going to do any comparing with the Axe FX right now - I've owned one in the past and have my thoughts on that. I've owned 4 M9 units, 3 M13 units, a Boss GT0-100, a Digitech GSP1101, and loads of others. They all had their pro's and cons, but I'll stick to the Line 6 stuff for now.

The Helix is the most exciting guitar product for a long time in my opinion. But I'm starting to come off like a fanboi now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    I'd love to work for Yamaha or Line 6 right now!

I've hardcore dissed Line 6 in the past. I make no secret of that, and my shitposting has gotten the better of me time and time again, and probably will in the future! But the Helix on paper really does look like *THE* product I - and many others - have been nagging Line 6 and many other companies for, for the best part of 8 years.

Even 8 years ago the idea of being limited to one delay slot, one reverb slot, one drive slot, and one slot being locked to pitch effects when I literally NEVER use pitch effects... it just seemed bonkers and utterly antiquated.

I grew up with Fruityloops and Reason on my PC. I grew up with the ultimate freedom of routing loads of plugins together, one after the other, as many delays as I wanted, as many crazy glitch effects as I could find, etc... etc... and that's what I wanted from a multi-fx unit.

I just utterly balked when I tried my first few multi-fx units. They always had problems.

I'm not going to do any comparing with the Axe FX right now - I've owned one in the past and have my thoughts on that. I've owned 4 M9 units, 3 M13 units, a Boss GT0-100, a Digitech GSP1101, and loads of others. They all had their pro's and cons, but I'll stick to the Line 6 stuff for now.

The Helix is the most exciting guitar product for a long time in my opinion. But I'm starting to come off like a fanboi now!

Very kind words Drew. I will kiss you on the face if we ever meet. It does look awesome and the team have done a spectacular job. I will hopefully be able to answer questions a little more accurately after I have had my hands on one. If there is time after my meeting on Wednesday, I will dial up some tones and do a couple of quick videos. The sound quality won't be great from a phone but you should get the idea of the "in the room" sound rather than direct.

And yes it is very cool working for these guys. You wouldn't believe how exciting it is. Lot's of things happening. Sept 1st will be an interesting and no doubt very busy day!

• Sept. 1st??
    Sept. 1st??
    Yep. Teasers coming soon.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @rossyamaha would that be Yam stuff or Line 6 stuff?  Go on... you can tell us... no one's watching!
    @rossyamaha would that be Yam stuff or Line 6 stuff?  Go on... you can tell us... no one's watching!
    Hmm, I'll find out what I can say on Wednesday.