Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Since moving to an apartment in Australia I've no need for a big loud rig (Although I've still go my BE100). I'm looking for something as a complete rig replacement that can go to a powered monitor or direct to PA. BUT, I still want the ability to use it 4cm with my BE100 when the urge takes me.. the Helix looks ideal for this. 

Also, being on the 2nd floor and having no lift is another reason I won't be using the BE100 and 2x12 cab much anymore :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I await the version 2 software with this. Probably let you lot do some 'real world' / beta testing before I drop any money on one of these.

Looks nice, sounds good.

The proof though will be in the gigging.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• If I had the cash I would be tempted if there was a small lunchbox 50 or 100w valve power amp to run it through a cab. IMO modelling through a monitor just doesnt feel the same to me, and if I was going to get one I'd want to use it at rehearsal and live (with whatever kind of PA good/bad/none)
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    No surprise but its getting panned on the fractal forums..
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    I've just ordered a Helix...was going To go down the ES-8 route with my existing pedalboard (Strymons, Fulltones, Xotics etc) but it just didn't give exactly what I needed..have the ES here in front of me which looks to be a great bit of kit but the thought of no patch leads and just one box which will do all and more is just far too tempting..ES to go back under distance selling and Helix on order!!

Ummed and ahhed for what seems like an eternity on this and watched the vids god knows how many times (like many here LOL) but for a gigging cover band this is a no brainer and will get me closer and easier to the sounds I need for sure.

I'll be initially running it 4CM with a possible look to going direct/monitor in the future (we use IEM anyway)
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2441
    welshboyo;752927" said:
    I've just ordered a Helix...was going To go down the ES-8 route with my existing pedalboard (Strymons, Fulltones, Xotics etc) but it just didn't give exactly what I needed..have the ES here in front of me which looks to be a great bit of kit but the thought of no patch leads and just one box which will do all and more is just far too tempting..ES to go back under distance selling and Helix on order!!

Ummed and ahhed for what seems like an eternity on this and watched the vids god knows how many times (like many here LOL) but for a gigging cover band this is a no brainer and will get me closer and easier to the sounds I need for sure.

I'll be initially running it 4CM with a possible look to going direct/monitor in the future (we use IEM anyway)
    Good man. Just out of curiosity, where have you pre ordered from?

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited August 2015
    Si_;752921" said:
    No surprise but its getting panned on the fractal forums..
    Some people are just daft. Not all the posters are like that but some of the comments have been stupid.

I've heard loads of Axe clips that sound worse than the Helix clips released so far, and I'm sure we'll hear even better Helix clips as more people figure them out. It can clearly sound good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    @rossyamaha

It will be through PMT at this point, I have asked them to put my refund on the ES-8 as deposit towards Helix. Haven't had a deliver date yet though
  • hywelg;752825" said:
    Waiting for a  demo of a good clean sound. That'll be the acid test for me.
    It's always hard to find these and with cleans I think the best bet is to demo in person. With so many options, a good clean sound (good to your ears anyway) might just be one particular model or whatever, so it'll take time whereas if you know you want it to sound like a blackface fender deluxe, it'll probably be fairly quick to dial in.

I think good clean amps are as hard to emulate as distorted ones, and the real test for this is going to be the in the room sound through a good suitable cab - just like any other tone.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    i ran an Axe FX ultra live for a year and it helped me realise that I could cover 99% of what i need with a JCM800, a carbon copy and a tube screamer...which is now my rig.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    i ran an Axe FX ultra live for a year and it helped me realise that I could cover 99% of what i need with a JCM800, a carbon copy and a tube screamer...which is now my rig.
    That's the thing I always end with modelling. I like trying the options but then up filling up three preset out of 999! I'm sure others use to the full potential though.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    rossyamaha;752229" said:
    So who wants to try one/ hear one in the flesh before they land? Catch is you have to be able to get to London on 12/ 13 September. But you will get to meet the beautiful man that is Paul Hindmarsh.
    Meeeeee!! B-)

Can I bring my guitar since I'm a lefty?
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I think it looks a fantastic bit of kit, loads of patching options and it sounds superb so far on the demos.
    Bit over kill for me, I went down the DV Mark Multiamp route and it's an awesome sounding/feeling bit of kit and highly underrated, but I found i only need a few sounds live and it was too much :-/
    #thebatesmotelband
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    @rossyamaha how many external pedals can you plug into this (not daisy chaining)
    Drew_fx said:
    rossyamaha;752229" said:
    So who wants to try one/ hear one in the flesh before they land? Catch is you have to be able to get to London on 12/ 13 September. But you will get to meet the beautiful man that is Paul Hindmarsh.
    Meeeeee!! B-)

You can. I would check with the store though. I would have thought you would be able to play it. I guess it depends on how many people turn up and are hanging around Paul waiting to kiss his face. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @rossyamaha how many external pedals can you plug into this (not daisy chaining)
    Depends how you want to rig it up as far as routing goes but there are 4 loops. You could however add something like a GigRig remote loopy and switch that in and out using the control ports. That would give you another 2 if you felt you need more. 

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    So tempted with the rack version and external pedalboard, now, what can I sell ? ;)
    welshboyo said:
    @rossyamaha

It will be through PMT at this point, I have asked them to put my refund on the ES-8 as deposit towards Helix. Haven't had a deliver date yet though
    Cool. All being well we will see the floor mount mid to late September so not too long to wait. The rack/ controller will be Oct/ Nov. 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:
    rossyamaha;752229" said:
    Meeeeee!! B-)

You can. I would check with the store though. I would have thought you would be able to play it. I guess it depends on how many people turn up and are hanging around Paul waiting to kiss his face. 
    Cool. I'll maybe give them a call or pop in beforehand and find out if they're okay with it.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Could you get a midi looper with say 6 loops, and use that with one of the audio loops on the helix?

Then use the helix to trigger the loop on and the helix midi to tell the switcher which of the 6 to activate?