Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Thanks for the answers guys.  I'm not super-fussy about dirt sounds, but I have an M9 and never found the dirt sounds adequate.  I'm using my (Quilter) amp as a pedal platform and use a Lovepedal Amp 11 and/or an Xotic BB Preamp.  But I'm not really committed to either of these  and sometimes gig with just a Flyrig 5.

The main attractions with the HX Effects are cost and simplicity - I just carry on with the way I'm doing things but with a different "pedal board".  The idea of the amp modellers is appealing but it would mean acquiring a different amp/speaker set up as well so it's a much bigger leap. 
    Worth thinking about the amp modelling as a possible step you might want to make in the future, all the same. When I got my LT, I was just thinking as a pedal board replacement, but then I got persuaded by the possibilities with amp models - I could tell they were doing good things, even using the LT straight into a clean amp - glad I did. Plus there are other advantages - better footswitching capability, the very nice screen and editing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited August 2018
    Yep I'm tempted by the modeller option but what's appealing about the HX Effects is the relative simplicity of amp + multi fx versus completely overhauling the way I do things.  A modeller raises questions like, would a Kemper be better, full fat Helix v LT, what to use for a power amp and speaker etc.  I'm not naturally good with technology so that's also a factor.  Maybe in time I'll bite the bulllet and give it a try.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Yep I'm tempted by the modeller option but what's appealing about the HX Effects is the relative simplicity of amp + multi fx versus completely overhauling the way I do things.  A modeller raises questions like, would a Kemper be better, full fat Helix v LT, what to use for a power amp and speaker etc.  I'm not naturally good with technology so that's also a factor.  Maybe in time I'll bite the bulllet and give it a try.
    Agree, there's a temptation to over-complicate things.  Don't worry about what's 'better' just get something and enjoy it.  I've heard  some great things out of Kemper and AxeFX, I went for a Helix and that sounds great too.  The real beauty is it actually gives you a lot less to worry about, I turn up at a gig with a Helix and a guitar and it sounds great
  • Slightly off topic but I have to say this is the only forum/board/Facebook page of any sort I can stand to either read or even bother to offer (limited) advice on regarding any digital modelling gear. From The Cult of Cliff over at the Fractal forums to Chad Boston’s ______ (ill just leave that blank) and the blatant serial killers at the Kemper forums.

I don’t understand why modelling gear does this to people. I’m a member of two Les Paul forums and those guys just like arguing over plastics, it never reaches peak modelling levels of brain melt.

Anyway, who’s actually using a Powercab these days? Anyone?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    edited August 2018
    Slightly off topic but I have to say this is the only forum/board/Facebook page of any sort I can stand to either read or even bother to offer (limited) advice on regarding any digital modelling gear. From The Cult of Cliff over at the Fractal forums to Chad Boston’s ______ (ill just leave that blank) and the blatant serial killers at the Kemper forums.

I don’t understand why modelling gear does this to people. I’m a member of two Les Paul forums and those guys just like arguing over plastics, it never reaches peak modelling levels of brain melt.

The internet is a fairly anonymous way from people to release their inner twat. And as with Stanford prison (ish), people will join in with OTT cultism faster than they'd ever admit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Slightly off topic but I have to say this is the only forum/board/Facebook page of any sort I can stand to either read or even bother to offer (limited) advice on regarding any digital modelling gear. From The Cult of Cliff over at the Fractal forums to Chad Boston’s ______ (ill just leave that blank) and the blatant serial killers at the Kemper forums.

Guess it's tribal mentality.

You have the 3 very different product solutions, company ethos, history competing at the expensive end of the market.. People are buying into more than just the tech and due to the cost, feel the need to justify it.

Oh and many people, deep down, are morons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Slightly off topic but I have to say this is the only forum/board/Facebook page of any sort I can stand to either read or even bother to offer (limited) advice on regarding any digital modelling gear. From The Cult of Cliff over at the Fractal forums to Chad Boston’s ______ (ill just leave that blank) and the blatant serial killers at the Kemper forums.

Guess it's tribal mentality.

You have the 3 very different product solutions, company ethos, history competing at the expensive end of the market.. People are buying into more than just the tech and due to the cost, feel the need to justify it.

Oh and many people, deep down, are morons.
    That last sentence sums it up 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28267
    I think that's entirely reasonable, but I also think there are entirely reasonable answers.

If you've got the money for a Helix or Helix LT over an HX effects then the former two do everything the HX does, and more. You can always just not  use the "more" until you want/need to.

As for the competing units... I don't think there's a "best", as each has its own advantages and disadvantages for each person summing them up. I am pretty sure that most of us who'd get on with any one of them would be OK with the others, but I'm equally confident that if we had a month or two with all three we'd come out with a strong preference. Fer example, I've long felt that flexibility and ease of configuration are the most important things about any multiFX unit, because I can get a satisfactory sound out of every one I've tried.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26592
    edited August 2018
    In case anyone's still looking for a...well, case...I've just got the Novation 25 backpack for £33 from Richtone, and it's like it was actually made for the Helix LT - it couldn't be a better fit if it tried. Well-padded, plenty of storage space for cables etc and very comfy straps.

Bargain.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited August 2018
    In case anyone's still looking for a...well, case...I've just got the Novation 25 backpack for £33 from Richtone, and it's like it was actually made for the Helix - it couldn't be a better fit if it tried. Well-padded, plenty of storage space for cables etc and very comfy straps.

Bargain.

Oh, that's interesting. I have the LT so there would be a bit more room (but I could do with a Novation 25 backpack for a novation 25 key midi controller, so it wouldn't be a totally wasted experiment)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26592
    preston61 said:
    In case anyone's still looking for a...well, case...I've just got the Novation 25 backpack for £33 from Richtone, and it's like it was actually made for the Helix - it couldn't be a better fit if it tried. Well-padded, plenty of storage space for cables etc and very comfy straps.

Bargain.

Oh, that's interesting. I have the LT so there would be a bit more room (but I could do with a Novation 25 backpack for a novation 25 key midi controller, so it wouldn't be a totally wasted experiment)
    Oooo, fair point. I can't swear to it with the Helix Floor, I have the LT too. I'll correct my post.
    <space for hire>
    preston61 said:

Bargain.

Oooo, fair point. I can't swear to it with the Helix Floor, I have the LT too. I'll correct my post.
    Ok for Helix floor also, according to this video :)

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    preston61 said:

Bargain.

Even better!!
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594

Sporky said:
    I think that's entirely reasonable, but I also think there are entirely reasonable answers.

If you've got the money for a Helix or Helix LT over an HX effects then the former two do everything the HX does, and more. You can always just not  use the "more" until you want/need to.

As for the competing units... I don't think there's a "best", as each has its own advantages and disadvantages for each person summing them up. I am pretty sure that most of us who'd get on with any one of them would be OK with the others, but I'm equally confident that if we had a month or two with all three we'd come out with a strong preference. Fer example, I've long felt that flexibility and ease of configuration are the most important things about any multiFX unit, because I can get a satisfactory sound out of every one I've tried.

One of the appeals with the HX Effects is the small form factor.  If it wasn't for that I'd probably just go for the LT on the grounds that it's more bang for buck and will be more cost effective in the long run if I do down the modelling road. But I don't want to lug a bigger unit if I'm not using the extras.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    In case anyone's still looking for a...well, case...I've just got the Novation 25 backpack for £33 from Richtone, and it's like it was actually made for the Helix LT - it couldn't be a better fit if it tried. Well-padded, plenty of storage space for cables etc and very comfy straps.

Bargain.

I wonder if the guys at Novation are sitting at their sales meeting going " we've sold 200 bags but only 3 keyboards ... what's going on?"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28267

One of the appeals with the HX Effects is the small form factor.  If it wasn't for that I'd probably just go for the LT on the grounds that it's more bang for buck and will be more cost effective in the long run if I do down the modelling road. But I don't want to lug a bigger unit if I'm not using the extras.

Fair point.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • In case anyone's still looking for a...well, case...I've just got the Novation 25 backpack for £33 from Richtone, and it's like it was actually made for the Helix LT - it couldn't be a better fit if it tried. Well-padded, plenty of storage space for cables etc and very comfy straps.

Bargain.
    It will also fit a Fryette Power Station in the front pouch perfectly
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have one, fits my full fat Helix perfectly.  It's a tiny bit tight at first, but seems to stretch a little bit after using it.
    Just FWIW, I currently have one of these https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_effect_pedal_bag.htm - is an excellent fit for Helix LT, and good quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Has anyone found a good gigbag for the helix control? I’m searching!!