Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• timmysoft said:

I've just been experimenting with dual IR's in parallel on my gigging patch/snapshots. Why the hell did I not try this before? It sounds immense.

Exactly what I do mate! It’s bloody incredible! 

Do you pan them hard left/right of have them blended down the middle.
    I’m keeping it down the middle at the moment, might try the panned hard 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I flick between  a full SLO set up, clean and dirty to a Archetype clean and a rectifier. But both are good. I just dont find any use for any of the other models really. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    re; stereo and live, I'm always a little dubious about how it's going to translate - seems like it's giving the sound guy a bit of extra rope to potentially hang you with  :o  for example: some years ago, in a decent club, a sound guy decided he liked the sound of one amp more than the other so he just used one of the two tracks in the mix. His basis for not liking the 2nd channel was that the amp was made in China.

Last night tried the Placater dirty model. That's pretty sweet, with the extra switches. Worked well with my Strat for some thicker high gain chords.
  • Cirrus said:
    re; stereo and live, I'm always a little dubious about how it's going to translate - seems like it's giving the sound guy a bit of extra rope to potentially hang you with  :o  for example: some years ago, in a decent club, a sound guy decided he liked the sound of one amp more than the other so he just used one of the two tracks in the mix. His basis for not liking the 2nd channel was that the amp was made in China.

Last night tried the Placater dirty model. That's pretty sweet, with the extra switches. Worked well with my Strat for some thicker high gain chords.
    I’d never send a stereo feed to FOH. Stereo sounds great on stage but too many variables leaving it to a random sound guy who will probably sum you to mono anyway
  • Cirrus said:

I’d never send a stereo feed to FOH. Stereo sounds great on stage but too many variables leaving it to a random sound guy who will probably sum you to mono anyway
    I do it all the time but am careful to check that I have nothing too out there
    I just hand them two XLRs and say pan hard left and right
    also I use the dual cab for different speakers either sides
    if you are really worried about it you can put a send and return block right after one of the cabs and give the sound guy a third XLR for a dry sound down the middle :)
    WDW style
  • Cirrus said:

The Placater is the one that i use, for me its the most versatile of the higher gain amps because of the additional switches. I like to run in stomp box mode, so with just turning the HBE on you can go from light gain to modern high gain but still keeping the same core to the tone.It can be quite bass heavy, especially with the HBE & fat engaged, but i usually use the mesa EQ between the amp and IR blocks to just give it a bit more brightness and balance the mids. I hope the next update gives us more of the switches on amps, thats a really killer feature.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I never thought of using it that way 
  • Has anyone found any good headphones for dialling in tones?

My Sennheisers sound great at home, they're superb fun to play through but i find that as soon as i then use my patches straight to PA they patches seem a bit bright and nasal. My IEMs (Heatwave dual driver custom moulds) are much better for dialling in the tones accurately and definitely give a closer representation of the straight to PA sound, but i find IEMs quite fatiguing and dry sounding.  
     So what i'm really looking for is a good mix of the two, i don't mind a bit of global tweaking when i'm at rehearsal or a venue but i'd rather not re-EQ the whole patch. Much prefer wearing full closed back, over ear design headphones.
  • Any idea when the next update is out?
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Any idea when the next update is out?
    Soon
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So made a couple of changes to my patch yesterday after I finally updated to 2.6

I swapped out the Deluxe for the Texas Clean model. Not a massive change, just feels like a more powerful Deluxe (the same way say a 50 watt amp set clean never has the same body as a similarly volumed 100 watter). I’m still using four real overdrives; RC Boost -> BB Preamp -> Zendrive -> ODR1 with a Kinky Comp before and a Kinky Boost after

I swapped out the Adriatic delay which was set to 8th notes for a Dual Delay and budged the Tape slap I had set up to Path 1 to free up some DSP so I could put an LA Comp last in line before my FOH out. I left the compressor settings as is but nudged the gain down a little. It helped remove some moments of anemia and generally just gave the guitar a little nudge in the mix without having to start adding volume (I know technically that’s what I’ve done but you know what I mean)

my monitoring comes via a Fryette Powerstation and Cornford open backed 1x12 v30

if I get time today (in between watching fitbaw and getting drunk) I’ll make these changes to my other three patches:

Patch 1: everything I need to play pretty much any gig. 

Patch 2: Usually starts as a copy of patch 1 but will have “special” uses setup for a particular gig for instance if an organ sound is needed etc

Patch 3: is the same as patch 1 apart from everything is swapped out for what I think are the *best* effects in a Helix and not nessesarily the ones I would use on a gig. The Cosmo delay and Grey Flanger are two such effects that appear here

Patch 4: oddball effects such as beatchop trem, fuzz and ring mod live here. Good place to be if you are needing some inspiration for recording

I also have a patch setup that uses S-Gear amp models and another for recording Mic in patch one and Bass in path 2

I also only have a few IR’s loaded; a Celestine V30 free download (even though I bought the packs) an Ownhammer greenback 4x12, a Jenson 1x12 and Mesa v30 4x12. Still haven’t settled on a blue-type and mostly just use stock cabs for that sound if needed

thats pretty much it for anyone that bothered to read
  • This may be a silly question but is there an easy way to mute and only monitor with headphones when recording with a mic?

Im sure there must be but I’m currently having to physically switch off my monitors between takes which is driving me mad
  • This may be a silly question but is there an easy way to mute and only monitor with headphones when recording with a mic?

Im sure there must be but I’m currently having to physically switch off my monitors between takes which is driving me mad
    Turn down the big knob? Does that affect the headphones too? I thought it was a seperate amp
    (sorry don’t have my unit in front of me but I use the headphone out for stage monitoring sometimes and it is independent of the FOH
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You can assign which outputs the big knob controls, just change it to what you need. It’s in the global menu.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, that’s one way but I usually have that tied to my 1/4 (sometimes I like to have an actual amp when recording bass or guitar making noise in the room for the sake of performance) and the XLR set to line.

Just wondered if there was some smart Helix shortcut of doing that as I try to keep my workflow the same on Helix 
  • Yeah, that’s one way but I usually have that tied to my 1/4 (sometimes I like to have an actual amp when recording bass or guitar making noise in the room for the sake of performance) and the XLR set to line.

Just wondered if there was some smart Helix shortcut of doing that as I try to keep my workflow the same on Helix 
    Could you snapshot the output between xlr and headphone out?
  • Cabicular said:
    Yeah, that’s one way but I usually have that tied to my 1/4 (sometimes I like to have an actual amp when recording bass or guitar making noise in the room for the sake of performance) and the XLR set to line.

Could you snapshot the output between xlr and headphone out?
    Now that’s the sort of thing I was hoping for, might not work but will give it a try and report back, cheers!
  • 2.7 out this week apparently 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited October 2018
    2.7 out this week apparently 
    Posted elsewhere by Mr.Igloo:
    • 2.70 is a major update from a development standpoint, but on paper, it's minor
    • 2.70 has no new models
    • 2.70 has only two things, both of which may be controversial
    • 2.70 will not be ready this week. Next week hopefully
    • 2.70 is not particularly related to the other news that is still happening this week
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoon said:
    2.7 out this week apparently 
    Posted elsewhere by Mr.Igloo:
    • 2.70 is a major update from a development standpoint, but on paper, it's minor
    • 2.70 has no new models
    • 2.70 has only two things, both of which may be controversial
    • 2.70 will not be ready this week. Next week hopefully
    • 2.70 is not particularly related to the other news that is still happening this week
    Helix is becoming self aware