Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtop said:
    According to the Line 6 site, the Rack version's footprint is way less: 19x8.8in versus 22x11.8in, and even allowing for cables sticking out of the back I should be able to get it on the desk with a MIDI keyboard in front of it.
    I think some of the guys meant the foot controller for it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So which amp models are people enjoying?

ive settled on the Friedman BE, never played the actual amp but ive played through a dirty Shirley and a small box before.  It’s bloody good, probably more versatile than the actual amp itself with all the helix switching options. I’m running two IR’s, the creamback with a 421 and the creamback with a 121, genuinely a jaw dropping tone, even through the rehearsal rooms shit PA! 
  • timmysoft said:
    So which amp models are people enjoying?

ive settled on the Friedman BE, never played the actual amp but ive played through a dirty Shirley and a small box before.  It’s bloody good, probably more versatile than the actual amp itself with all the helix switching options. I’m running two IR’s, the creamback with a 421 and the creamback with a 121, genuinely a jaw dropping tone, even through the rehearsal rooms shit PA! 

When I first got my Helix LT I naturally gravitated towards the Friedman BE for my dirty sounds (I had been using the same amp model on the Atomic Amplifire) I'm using it with the Celestion 4x12 Greenback IR (High Gain, All Mics inc stereo room mics). I really don't feel any need to change at this point as I'm really enjoying the tones I'm getting. I'm finding the Helix sounds much more natural than the Atomic. I felt like I was constantly fighting the high end on the Atomic.

For clean tones I'm using the Lonestar model with the Creamback 65 2x12 IR (Low Gain, All Mics inc stereo room mics).

I run direct to the mixer in stereo and monitor via IEM's.

• gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited September 2018
    At the moment I’m using the Deluxe Reverb Vibrato channel.... and err... ummm... that’s it

Oh, forgot to mention, it goes to a Fryette Power Station then an open backed V30 1x12

The signal also goes FOH via a Celestion V30 IR

• timmysoft said:

I had a brief flirtation with the Friedman, and still use it when I'm double-tracking, but ultimately...I'm back where I started: the SLO models. Live, I use the Crunch channel with an OCD in front for my rhythm tone, and then I stick a Timmy in front of that for lead. Recorded, I use the Overdrive channel for rhythm on its own, with a compressor in front for lead.

All of this is with the Ownhammer Mesa IRs, usually the OH2F mix 3" out.
    <space for hire>
  • timmysoft said:

I had a brief flirtation with the Friedman, and still use it when I'm double-tracking, but ultimately...I'm back where I started: the SLO models. Live, I use the Crunch channel with an OCD in front for my rhythm tone, and then I stick a Timmy in front of that for lead. Recorded, I use the Overdrive channel for rhythm on its own, with a compressor in front for lead.

The SLO is better live for me. The Friedman sounds great but the scooped mids can be problematic.
    just like the real amps tbh
    i was using the 2204 mod for a while as well
    Clean amp is almost always the Matchless. Probably just because I know the amp. The model seems to have much less clean headroom than the actual amp but if you crank the masters it is a really lovely clean sound
  • Cabicular said:
    timmysoft said:

The SLO is better live for me. The Friedman sounds great but the scooped mids can be problematic.
    just like the real amps tbh
    i was using the 2204 mod for a while as well
    Clean amp is almost always the Matchless. Probably just because I know the amp. The model seems to have much less clean headroom than the actual amp but if you crank the masters it is a really lovely clean sound
    For what i do (mostly higher gain, riffy emo) the Friedman worked a bit better than the SLO, which i found was a bit too much. I tend to use the Mesa 5 band between the amp and IR's to fine tune the mid range. I also like how on the BE model you have all the switches, so on my Helix control ( which i run in stomp box mode) i have the gain down at 0.7 for my cleaner tones but then for the heavier tones i can have the gain up to about 4.0 with the HBE on. Its also nice having the Fat switch on the ground too, that really adds a huge amount of weight to a rhythm tone.

I love how there really is something for everyone in the Helix though, Its a gassers dream!
  • timmysoft said:

I love how there really is something for everyone in the Helix though, Its a gassers dream!
    Even better, free gear every six months or so :)
    <space for hire>
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    It's early days for me, I've only built a couple of patches that I've properly finely tweaked, but I've been really enjoying the Matchless model - set up a patch where one of the footswitches alternates between a clean and crunchy setting of the CH1 model, then have a Timmy and Rat out front for varying levels of extra gain.

That's going through an Ownhammer IR, a 2x12 oversized Bognor cab with V30s - it's one of the SM57 impulses. Big mids, punch and clarity on top. Love it. The thing that's been really impressing me is that a lot of my preferences from real amps, pedals, miking etc hold out in Helix world - I'm not having to jump through hoops in search of a sound I understand. I've also been using the "Essex30" a lot into Ownhammer's "Class A Duo" 2x12 with '60s Alnico Blues miked with a um70. Absolutely stunned by that combo for U2-ish chime and something a bit more grindy and raw with gain.

Finally, I've also plugged into the FX return of my 1x12 Genz Benz Black pearl - a 30 watt 4xel84 amp with Celestion Cream. Turned off the IR and use the mesa 5-band to pull some low mids the cab's adding. That's been great fun to play through, and will probably serve as a decent monitoring setup for the time being.

As you can see from the kind of amps and speakers I'm referring, I'm firmly in the clean-mid gain, rawer side of guitar tone most of the time. And the fact that a modelling rig can deliver that for me is really cool, because in the past I've always felt like that's where modelling struggles to sound and feel convincing.
  • I mainly use the Hiwatt DR103
    I also use an AC30 sometimes and a Fender Deluxe?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • On a side note lads, I'm about to buy an average receiver for a 5.1 setup in the mandate. Then one I'm looking at is Dlna capable so am I right in guessing I could stream from my laptop with helix to the amplifier and use that as a practice set up?
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Average lol.... bloody auto correct... =)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited September 2018
    Using the ac15 a lot, with 2 built in cabs in parallel. Using helix' pedals to change the gain. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I had fun playing with higher gain stuff last night. The Rectifier was as hard to dial in as the real thing  =) some good sounds in there eventually. I used early period Incubus stuff as a reference tone.

Really like the SLO 3rd channel model. But with the gain really low - like, 2 at most. Then it felt like an amp that was already boosted with a TS or something.
  • Cirrus said:
    I had fun playing with higher gain stuff last night. The Rectifier was as hard to dial in as the real thing  =) some good sounds in there eventually. I used early period Incubus stuff as a reference tone.

Really like the SLO 3rd channel model. But with the gain really low - like, 2 at most. Then it felt like an amp that was already boosted with a TS or something.
    High gain is where I live most of the time! The recto is indeed a pig to dial in, but I think in terms of the actual tones, it’s probably the closest of the high gain models to the actual amp. I’ve struggled with the 5150 aswell, an amp I’ve used a lot and could dial in pretty quickly, I just can’t get a useable tone from it! 

Im hoping for JCM900s and a Diezel model on the next update! 
  • On a side note lads, I'm about to buy an average receiver for a 5.1 setup in the mandate. Then one I'm looking at is Dlna capable so am I right in guessing I could stream from my laptop with helix to the amplifier and use that as a practice set up?

I haven't got a clue what you are on about mate :)

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Cabicular said:
    On a side note lads, I'm about to buy an average receiver for a 5.1 setup in the mandate. Then one I'm looking at is Dlna capable so am I right in guessing I could stream from my laptop with helix to the amplifier and use that as a practice set up?

I haven't got a clue what you are on about mate :)

Phew!  Thought it was just me :s
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • I've just been experimenting with dual IR's in parallel on my gigging patch/snapshots. Why the hell did I not try this before? It sounds immense.

• I've just been experimenting with dual IR's in parallel on my gigging patch/snapshots. Why the hell did I not try this before? It sounds immense.

Exactly what I do mate! It’s bloody incredible! 
  • timmysoft said:

I've just been experimenting with dual IR's in parallel on my gigging patch/snapshots. Why the hell did I not try this before? It sounds immense.

Exactly what I do mate! It’s bloody incredible! 

Do you pan them hard left/right of have them blended down the middle.