Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 993
    Anyone using this with a Variax?

I used it for the first time tonight with the Variax (300 model)...I’m a happy camper so far, although It had the Individual String tunings greyed out.  I guess that this isn’t available with the 300 model, maybe just the newer models?

Struggled getting a decent acoustic sound...but am off now to google!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am in the midst of building a Helix centred rig some of you might find fun

Its for a covers band where I need to play the "other bits"... so it's electric, acoustic and some keys

I am running Roland A88 and A49 midi controllers into a MacBook Pro with Mainstage and Kontakt and Reaktor over USB TO Helix , a Waterloo WL14x with trance Amulet M Phantom into Helix Mic Input and the electric is wireless into Helix for roaming around onstage

im going to add a Powercab Plus so I can have monitoring for keys and acoustic and then a proper electric speaker sound when needed

Helix is controlling all patch changes in Mainstage etc

its tonnes of fun
  • duotone said:

I used it for the first time tonight with the Variax (300 model)...I’m a happy camper so far, although It had the Individual String tunings greyed out.  I guess that this isn’t available with the 300 model, maybe just the newer models?

Yeah...it's only properly compatible with the Variax Standard and later models.
    <space for hire>
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7529
    I am in the midst of building a Helix centred rig some of you might find fun

Its for a covers band where I need to play the "other bits"... so it's electric, acoustic and some keys

I am running Roland A88 and A49 midi controllers into a MacBook Pro with Mainstage and Kontakt and Reaktor over USB TO Helix , a Waterloo WL14x with trance Amulet M Phantom into Helix Mic Input and the electric is wireless into Helix for roaming around onstage

im going to add a Powercab Plus so I can have monitoring for keys and acoustic and then a proper electric speaker sound when needed

its tonnes of fun
    That sounds like an ace setup 
    Red ones are better. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 993
    duotone said:

Yeah...it's only properly compatible with the Variax Standard and later models.
    Cheers

Happily the other tunings such as ‘Drop D’ ‘Open G’ etc. does work.  Tbh it’s only something I would occasionally use, but good to know @digitalscream ;

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    All I've done so far is play well-known riffs really badly through the presets that were designed for them. The sounds are amazing. I'm excited to get to grips with it more.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• I've just installed the latest update.

Sooooo much happier with the tuner
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1583
    I am in the midst of building a Helix centred rig some of you might find fun

its tonnes of fun
     Sounds cool. Other than re-amping I hadn't really thought about audio over usb as an input option.

I've recently started early experiments putting keyboards through my LT. Partly for the FX, partly to consolidate inputs like a small mixer, partly to tame the low end and peaks at volume.

I should probably also look into what I could add with midi - maybe it could manage programme changes for me across a number of keyboards, and the midi controller options probably open up a range of new possibilities.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3060
    Is it worth spending more and going for the full fat Helix over the Helix LT?

I've been considering getting one for recording, practicing with headphones in and using it for rehearsals/gigs by going straight to the front of house (maybe an frfr at some point). I'm just wondering if paying 300 - 400 quid less for the LT would be a better idea for my needs?
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 586
    @Stevepage check Ross's guide here for the full breakdown:

Gotta say, for me the scribble strips are invaluable ... just easier to read.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Stevepage said:
    Is it worth spending more and going for the full fat Helix over the Helix LT?

I've been considering getting one for recording, practicing with headphones in and using it for rehearsals/gigs by going straight to the front of house (maybe an frfr at some point). I'm just wondering if paying 300 - 400 quid less for the LT would be a better idea for my needs?
    I have both... an LT for gigging and a Floor that lives in the studio. The Floor gives you extra ins/outs, scribble strips and (perhaps) feels more robust. Having said that I must have done 100 gigs or so with my LT and it hasn’t missed a beat and its had a fair amount of beer poured over it.
    Both would work fine for your scenario so weigh up if the extra connectivity and scribble strips are worth the extra.
    Thanks Gents!

I've just bought a used Helix LT from guitarguitar. Will arrive here Sunday, can't wait!
    So the Helix LT arrived earlier and it sounds pretty damn good. However is there a way to edit and load presets on to the unit via an editor software like Line 6 used to do with Gearbox?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Stevepage said:
    So the Helix LT arrived earlier and it sounds pretty damn good. However is there a way to edit and load presets on to the unit via an editor software like Line 6 used to do with Gearbox?
    Yup. Just use HX edit from the line 6 site.

https://line6.com/software/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks that's helped a lot. Having only used the Helix through some cheap computer speakers it's sounding pretty good. Tomorrow I'll try with my ATH-M50s then I'll book some where to try it out with a PA. So far I think I picked the right version of the Helix
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3315
    Stevepage said:
    Thanks that's helped a lot. Having only used the Helix through some cheap computer speakers it's sounding pretty good. Tomorrow I'll try with my ATH-M50s then I'll book some where to try it out with a PA. So far I think I picked the right version of the Helix
    Nice one.

Let us know how you get on, Steve
  • Just a heads up, line 6 have 30% off helix native with the code cyber30 until the 3rd of December.
    Oh ffs I just bought that yesterday
  • Stevepage said:
    Oh ffs I just bought that yesterday
    Go to support on the site and log a ticket. They might be feeling generous and sort something. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Has any one had trouble running the Helix with Reaper via the USB?

I've tried everything and I either get no audio playback or when I do its clicky/fuzzy. I also can't hear audio through the helix (videos playing on youtube etc) except for my presets.