Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I assigned it using the learn controller function, and the percentages move on the display when I use the pedal. I don't know about expression pedal modes though.

I must have missed something.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28651
    If the percentages are changing then the expression pedal is OK. On mine it always seems to assign it to EXP1 if I've got EXP2 selected, and vicey-versey.

And you already said the value was changing and I missed it. Sorry. 

Are you using more than one path? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Just to narrow things down go to a blank preset, add a wah pedal, make sure it’s on. Is the wah working now?
  • Just seen a thread on another forum where a guy was pointing out that Helix Edit actually works on one of those Surface Go tablets. I know some people had been asking for an iPad friendly editor and maybe hadn't thought of the Surface Go as a possible soloution
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I need to eat a slice of humble pie I think. I must have racked up 100 or so gigs with Helix now, always using IR’s as I never felt the stock cabs sounded that brilliant. The arrival of the Stomp recently and its pesky 6 block limit has made me reevaluate how I’ve been doing things - specifically the stock cabs. I used a dual cab setup in the Helix tonight and it sounded fantastic! Really open and dynamic, and I have to say, better than my go to OH GNR IR (acronym overload, I know, I’m sorry).
    I still don’t go a bundle on the mics in isolation in the Helix (the 57 on a basketweave cab doesn’t sound much like a 57 to me), but work out a dual cab setup and things look much rosier.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    simonk said:
    I need to eat a slice of humble pie I think. I must have racked up 100 or so gigs with Helix now, always using IR’s as I never felt the stock cabs sounded that brilliant. The arrival of the Stomp recently and its pesky 6 block limit has made me reevaluate how I’ve been doing things - specifically the stock cabs. I used a dual cab setup in the Helix tonight and it sounded fantastic! Really open and dynamic, and I have to say, better than my go to OH GNR IR (acronym overload, I know, I’m sorry).
    I still don’t go a bundle on the mics in isolation in the Helix (the 57 on a basketweave cab doesn’t sound much like a 57 to me), but work out a dual cab setup and things look much rosier.
    Good to hear, I'll be getting a stomp in new year when I return to UK and start gigging again and wanna have the same epiphany. I've been using the sadites method (room verb + compressor + split frequency boosts) to get my rack sounding awesome (and fine because so have a simple chain with plenty of spare DSP), but have been meaning the spend some time getting the decent sounds that others do, nothing but stock. 

What did you do different now? 
    sgosden said:
    simonk said:
    Good to hear, I'll be getting a stomp in new year when I return to UK and start gigging again and wanna have the same epiphany. I've been using the sadites method (room verb + compressor + split frequency boosts) to get my rack sounding awesome (and fine because so have a simple chain with plenty of spare DSP), but have been meaning the spend some time getting the decent sounds that others do, nothing but stock. 

What did you do different now? 
    Yep, I’ve adopted quite a few of Jason Sadites methods - he’s been an inspiration. I never really bothered with his split crossover block though. For last nights gig I just came up with a vague stock cab approximation of my favourite IR (2x 57’s and a 121 on a basketweave cab) and subbed it in. Sounded real good.
    With the Stomp I’ve had to ditch a lot of the blocks although I’ve kept the compressor last in the chain. Amp and cab in one block using the 7 dynamic, which I’ve found to be the most palatable of the single mics.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    simonk said:
    For me it was just lazyness
    chuck up a couple of cabs via the dual cab block
    quick tweak on the high cuts
    Done
    I don’t have the patience for endless auditioning of sounds. If it sounds good I just play :)
    its probably because I’m old!
  • simonk said:
    I think ive been dishing out that advice since i got one. For a lot of cases irs are for me no better at all than 2 helix cabs blended. Great you found a solution though.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Some of the helix cabs are great, they do need more dialling in than a ready made IR, but there’s some classy results, especially with the greenback loaded 412 
  • I still refer IR's but to be fair I only use about 4 and I use one of those 95% of the time 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Finally got to use my Helix LT into a PA tonight. Really pleased with what I was hearing, so much so I'm going to sell my pedals and amp.

I have a question for those of you using your Helix into the PA. How do you monitor yourself, use the venues monitors of your own PA speaker/frfr? 

How easy and affordable would it be to use in ear monitoring?
    We all bring our own monitors - I use a QSC K8.2 mostly, sometimes a DXR10. That then gets a direct feed from the Helix and a monitor mix feed with whatever else I want to hear from the desk.
    I’m always happy to use a supplied monitor at bigger venues and festivals etc (less to carry)... A downside I’ve found there though is they’re often EQ’d for vocals and consequently don’t sound so great for guitar.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Stevepage said:
    Finally got to use my Helix LT into a PA tonight. Really pleased with what I was hearing, so much so I'm going to sell my pedals and amp.

I have a question for those of you using your Helix into the PA. How do you monitor yourself, use the venues monitors of your own PA speaker/frfr? 

Either one or a couple of Alto TS210 FRFR speakers for me, very happy with how that works. Truthfully, I've never tried relying purely on the house PA monitors - I just like having the extra ability to control what I'm hearing on stage with the FRFR speaker(s). Re in ear monitoring, I have no idea, but interested to hear from those that do.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Stevepage said:

I was blown away the first time i went into a big PA too, it genuinely does sound like all those brilliant well mixed live tones that big bands have at big venues.

I've been using the venue monitoring, if i'm going light and compact then i don't want to be carrying a monitor, because then i might swell be carrying an amp. I do have wired in ears (HearWave custom moulds) which i do sometimes plug into the headphone out, but being in a single guitar band i don't ever really have a problem hearing myself. The helix headphone amp has more than enough power with good IEMs.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    Posted by a mate on facebook - sadly my playing is about 2% of his......but one reason why he plays a helix (and uses a variax).  But bleedin ell

Today was band call panto  and while panto is rarely as intense as a 'proper' musical I've had several of my own skills tested today.

Those required included sight reading of eight brand new notation/chord chart scores (7 flats for two of the pieces key signatures; every time a G or C was seen, it's flattened), sight reading tricky new unison piano or orchestral lines at tempo (watch the Cb notes!), changing electric guitar sounds often a few times in the same bar (4 bars duration to change guitars, three occurrences), loads of tempo changes both live and from the click track driven audio (watch the Musical Director like a hawk for these when I could afford to get my head out of the score), transposing at sight parts up/down an octave, up a second and up a minor third than written, reading/sight reading in bass clef (I'm playing nylon/acoustic/electric/bass via two guitars and a Helix pedal)

All this occurred in a room with the director, full cast and tech crew; around 40 people all in.

This is the first and last try out. 

Thursday will see one full dress rehearsal in the afternoon, a few show notes discussed and then that's it; first show that evening.

I say all this not to highlight how unique/demanding some professional situations are (today is quite normal and to be expected when working in musical theatre)....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickp said:
    Posted by a mate on facebook - sadly my playing is about 2% of his......but one reason why he plays a helix (and uses a variax).  But bleedin ell

Today was band call panto  and while panto is rarely as intense as a 'proper' musical I've had several of my own skills tested today.

Those required included sight reading of eight brand new notation/chord chart scores (7 flats for two of the pieces key signatures; every time a G or C was seen, it's flattened), sight reading tricky new unison piano or orchestral lines at tempo (watch the Cb notes!), changing electric guitar sounds often a few times in the same bar (4 bars duration to change guitars, three occurrences), loads of tempo changes both live and from the click track driven audio (watch the Musical Director like a hawk for these when I could afford to get my head out of the score), transposing at sight parts up/down an octave, up a second and up a minor third than written, reading/sight reading in bass clef (I'm playing nylon/acoustic/electric/bass via two guitars and a Helix pedal)

All this occurred in a room with the director, full cast and tech crew; around 40 people all in.

This is the first and last try out. 

Thursday will see one full dress rehearsal in the afternoon, a few show notes discussed and then that's it; first show that evening.

I say all this not to highlight how unique/demanding some professional situations are (today is quite normal and to be expected when working in musical theatre)....
    Changing guitar sounds a few times in the same bar? 
  • timmysoft said:
    Stevepage said:

I was blown away the first time i went into a big PA too, it genuinely does sound like all those brilliant well mixed live tones that big bands have at big venues.

I've been using the venue monitoring, if i'm going light and compact then i don't want to be carrying a monitor, because then i might swell be carrying an amp. I do have wired in ears (HearWave custom moulds) which i do sometimes plug into the headphone out, but being in a single guitar band i don't ever really have a problem hearing myself. The helix headphone amp has more than enough power with good IEMs.
    When using IEM's straight from Helix do you only have guitar in them?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    timmysoft said:
    Stevepage said:

When using IEM's straight from Helix do you only have guitar in them?

When I do it I usually send two monos to the IEM pack. One with full mix and second with whatever is important to the band member. Guitars\ vocals etc. They can then use the blend knob on the pack to give themselves a rough mix
  • The left channel on my headphone out has bit the dust again. Very low level, distorted and crackling. Was in for a repair for the same issue about April last year. Utter pain in the arse....

Guess this is my excuse to buy a backup Stomp