Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_fx said:
    So really.. for live shows.... I could just break my delay usage down to a single pedal. Probably a Memory Man style thing, with high feedback to get that milky quality... and add the RV5's Modulate setting to that, and basically just use that sound any time I want "atmosphere" ... and with the Helix, that can be just a single switch - rather than three of them.
    Sounds fair, in a live env. you generally want a simpler/drier sound - I'd highly recommend the Strymon DIG though, the ADM tone on there is nice, dark, and fairly analogue-like, plus it's frikkin simple to dial in a synchronised second delay within the one pedal that way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:
    So really.. for live shows.... I could just break my delay usage down to a single pedal. Probably a Memory Man style thing, with high feedback to get that milky quality... and add the RV5's Modulate setting to that, and basically just use that sound any time I want "atmosphere" ... and with the Helix, that can be just a single switch - rather than three of them.
    Sounds fair, in a live env. you generally want a simpler/drier sound - I'd highly recommend the Strymon DIG though, the ADM tone on there is nice, dark, and fairly analogue-like, plus it's frikkin simple to dial in a synchronised second delay within the one pedal that way.
    I reckon the Adriatic Delay on the Helix could be the ticket. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was discounting the Helix. I'm about 75% sure I want to buy one.
  • Drew_fx;778631" said:
    Also the thing is, I've been chatting to Randomhandclaps who came to our last gig. I was curious whether he could even hear most of the finely crafted soundscape textural delays and reverbs, and the long and short of it was that no... it basically just sounded like a single delay and reverb. Maybe @Deijavoo @Handsome_Chris and @Bucket can chime in there.

When you crafted this stuff, did you take into account the effect the room what with throwing in the extra stuff 'n' all. It's basically sticking another reverb effect on top of your doings.

@Clarky could be the man to weigh in here, but my take on it is that my live sounds are very simple delay-wise compared to my headphone/studio/bedroom sounds, delay-wise.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx;778631" said:
    Also the thing is, I've been chatting to Randomhandclaps who came to our last gig. I was curious whether he could even hear most of the finely crafted soundscape textural delays and reverbs, and the long and short of it was that no... it basically just sounded like a single delay and reverb. Maybe @Deijavoo @Handsome_Chris and @Bucket can chime in there.

That's how I ended up solving my tap dancing issues. I just accepted that subtlety in tone is not all that appreciable to a live audience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Drew_fx said:

I would normally agree that no you can't hear that stuff live. But for that gig I heard at least two different delay sounds (I think at least). One which is in that lead line in the first song, a 3 note repetition job and one that was like a standard tone you used on other clean parts. Maybe I'm confusing with your other guitarist though, maybe I listened to the record too much beforehand and could pick these things out.

Anyways, whichever way it is, I'm definitely in agreement that live it pretty much gets lost in translation.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited September 2015
    Also, was the reverb decay much longer on guitar when you were singing?
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I'd agree with the two statements above..
    live and subtle are not great bedfellows..

not only because of the effect of being in a big room, but also due to the volume involved
    I do all kinds of stuff studio that I'd not bother with live
    for live I just go for the general tonal 'vibe' that's needed..

to be honest, I reckon that if you try to get too clever with fx live the volume and the room will conspire to turn it into a mess
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Deijavoo said:
    Also, was the reverb decay much longer on guitar when you were singing?
    It was actually yeah. Coz there are pretty big gaps in the chord progression, so I figured I'd fill it with some lush modulate reverb.
  • Drew_fx said:
    So as I understand it Digloo... you've got preset mode, stomp mode, and stompbox edit mode...

In preset mode, is the bottom row always dedicated to presets, or can you set them to be something else?

What I'm wondering is if you can have:

Stomp mode - 10 effects spread across the switches
    Preset mode - top row assigned to effects, bottom row assigned to midi commands such as program changes
    There are two primary modes and two extra modes:

PRESET—8 presets (the default), 4 presets on the bottom with 4 stomps on top, or 4 presets on the top with 4 stomps on bottom
    STOMP—8 stomps (the default) or 10 stomps (removed BANK/PRESET UP/DOWN); each switch can do up to 8 things—block on/off, parameter control (with definable min/max per parameter, even reverse), or Command Center command (MIDI CC, CC Toggle, Bank/Prog [MSB/LSB/PC], MIDI Note, MMC, External Amp [Tip, Ring, or Tip+Ring], CV Out, or CV Toggle)
    PEDAL EDIT—For editing presets with your feet while your hands remain on the guitar (hold FS6 [MODE] to engage)
    LOOPER—For looping, of course (press stomp footswitch assigned to Looper, if any)

FS1 (BANK UP) and FS7 (BANK DOWN) can be switched to PRESET UP/PRESET DOWN. Change this from the global settings menu—or—hold FS1+FS7 for two seconds. Lots of shortcuts in this thing.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    So as I understand it Digloo... you've got preset mode, stomp mode, and stompbox edit mode...

In preset mode, is the bottom row always dedicated to presets, or can you set them to be something else?

What I'm wondering is if you can have:

Stomp mode - 10 effects spread across the switches
    Preset mode - top row assigned to effects, bottom row assigned to midi commands such as program changes
    There are two primary modes and two extra modes:

PRESET—8 presets (the default), 4 presets on the bottom with 4 stomps on top, or 4 presets on the top with 4 stomps on bottom
    STOMP—8 stomps (the default) or 10 stomps (removed BANK/PRESET UP/DOWN); each switch can do up to 8 things—block on/off, parameter control (with definable min/max per parameter, even reverse), or Command Center command (MIDI CC, CC Toggle, Bank/Prog [MSB/LSB/PC], MIDI Note, MMC, External Amp [Tip, Ring, or Tip+Ring], CV Out, or CV Toggle)
    PEDAL EDIT—For editing presets with your feet while your hands remain on the guitar (hold FS6 [MODE] to engage)
    LOOPER—For looping, of course (press stomp footswitch assigned to Looper, if any)

FS1 (BANK UP) and FS7 (BANK DOWN) can be switched to PRESET UP/PRESET DOWN. Change this from the global settings menu—or—hold FS1+FS7 for two seconds. Lots of shortcuts in this thing.
    Thanks for that Digloo. I'm hovering over the pre-order button right now!
    Pre-Ordered with Andertons just now.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    Pre-Ordered with Andertons just now.
    Good Man...Welcome to the Pre-Order club
  • I assume no UK retailers are offering the sort of discounts that our US cousins are getting (15% according to various people on TGP)????
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I assume no UK retailers are offering the sort of discounts that our US cousins are getting (15% according to various people on TGP)????
    Nah. UK gets fucked all the time when it comes to that stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah it's a shame - I noticed Sweetwater were even offering 36mths at 0%... that's a crazy deal that I'm sure most people could justify!
  • Forget the 0% interest deal... I'd have been happy with the 15% discount USA dealers are offering (£160 off would bring the Helix down to a more manageable £910).  :x
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    edited September 2015
    Going to be interesting to see if there are enough Helix's to fulfil demand, I might have to knock on the door in Milton Keynes ;)
  • sweepy said:
    Going to be interesting to see if there are enough Helix's to fulfil demand,
    I'd guess in the short term there won't be enough... but longer term, there'll be loads.
  • I'll be picking one up for 600 quid on the classifieds in a month or two.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    I'm hoping for a trade price, nice to call in a favour now and again :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom