Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Drew's EVH5150III 50watt thread (aka Incoming...)

What's Hot

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Drew_fx said:
    Yeah I could do a similar thing for sure. But for those who don't want to utilise a midi amp+fx setup, it's probably just easier to use a tubescreamer in front of the clean channel.
    True that would sound great - I just hate tap dancing on stage so the midi switching was part of what attracted me to 50w instead of the 100w version. 
    With the gain set just below half channel two gives some great crunch sounds though so being able to get a clean sound as well the monster gain of channel 3 is a real bonus.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, sounds the same as a 6505+ then.

Blimey, they're good looking. I know that shouldn't matter, but seriously... And it sounds the ballacks.

Feeling some real envy right now!

Edit: if you had to pick one... REALLY HAD To... Jvm or 5153?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited October 2013
    Tell you what though - I really miss the noise gates from the JVM! Har har! I was using my Zoom MS70CDR in the loop just now, which allowed me to use it as a noise gate. Worked really well, but not so well for the clean channel. It does seem like 4-cm method + midi is the way to go with this amp.

Regardless of what happens, keeping this amp. Is lovely!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Well done chap !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Hmmm. At the moment??? Listening to those recorded palm-mutes.... I'd really have to go 5153. To the point where I'm actually wondering if I made a mistake getting those Golden Dragon preamp tubes; maybe I should've gone JJ's. I'm not sure how much effect moving over to JJ's would have, but the EVH seems way tighter and way gainy-er.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Hmmm. At the moment??? Listening to those recorded palm-mutes.... I'd really have to go 5153.
    I'd agree, it suits the clip more.

Congrats on the purchase man.
  • Drew_fx;70016" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Hmmm. At the moment??? Listening to those recorded palm-mutes.... I'd really have to go 5153. To the point where I'm actually wondering if I made a mistake getting those Golden Dragon preamp tubes; maybe I should've gone JJ's. I'm not sure how much effect moving over to JJ's would have, but the EVH seems way tighter and way gainy-er.
    Blimey. That's a real endorsement. Jvm amps have serious gain, but I find it so easy to dial in the 6505/5150 that it just always feels so obvious as to why so many rock and metal acts use them.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Nice bedroom practice amp.

I live in a fricking large house :)

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited October 2013

Nice bedroom practice amp.

-----

I live in a fricking large house :)

Honestly, even the 100 watter sounds supberb at mega low volume.  The 50 is great at low volume too.  It is the voicing on the amps - they're very immediate and tight sounding.  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24317
    Just had a listen to Chappers' demo

I like it.

I used to have a Peavey 5150 and I didn't like it - and it was crap in the house (not really surprising), but the 50W sounded very nice.

I may be needing a guitar amp for a new project, so I'll have to try one out.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    wow these white EVH's are torturing me today. Stunning. Can see my fleible friend getting whacked again. Really enjoyed the demo. You obviously don't live near me cos I opened the window whilst listening & it didn't get louder LOL

We want more !!!!

Cheers
    Baz
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Everyone is keen on these. Need to give it a shot.

On the note of two amps and stereo delay etc... I've very often fancied that setup but would want to change channels on both amps with one switch, so both run clean at the same time and with one button switch both to dirt. Like maybe one standard switch with a split jack? Is that possible?

I suppose when a third channel amp is involved then I guess it's harder or different connections like Mesa etc...
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Nice GAS by the way Drew.
    Deijavoo said:
    Everyone is keen on these. Need to give it a shot.

On the note of two amps and stereo delay etc... I've very often fancied that setup but would want to change channels on both amps with one switch, so both run clean at the same time and with one button switch both to dirt. Like maybe one standard switch with a split jack? Is that possible?

I suppose when a third channel amp is involved then I guess it's harder or different connections like Mesa etc...
    Midi dude. Going to both amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm at work.

Want to go home and play guitar :((
    bazxkr said:
    wow these white EVH's are torturing me today. Stunning. Can see my fleible friend getting whacked again. Really enjoyed the demo. You obviously don't live near me cos I opened the window whilst listening & it didn't get louder LOL

We want more !!!!

Cheers
    Baz
    :))

I will do a few recordings and probably a Yaowtaowb video.
    Wow. What an amp. Despite some of the annoyances (volume difference with channel 2, effects loop not channel specific) it's a farkin' GREAT amp. I just got back from a gig. I basically used it as a 2 channel head, clean and high-gain, and used a tubescreamer for the mid-gain tones.
    So with the volume difference thing, I have tried a couple of things. I tried:

Line 6 M13 in 4-cable method. The midi and DSP switching is not fast enough, so you end up with loud bursts of noise from channel 2 and latency when switching the channels. Same story with the Digitech GSP1101.

I also did this experiment just now:
    I setup Logic X to send out midi program changes 1, 2, and 3, to my amp. I also had CC85 going out with a value of 0 for PC1 and PC3, and a value of 127 for PC2 - effectively three options then... "clean no FX loop, crunch with FX loop, and distortion without FX loop"

I then put a Boss EQ into the FX loop and used it to attenuate the signal. The Boss was on the entire time, never being turned off.

So I played along to the Logic metronome and looped the midi region, so the amp was in a constant cycle of the above. I could then play quarter note chords along with the click, and the channels switched without clicks or dropouts. The FX loop also switched without clicks or dropouts. More importantly, they switched without any serious latency.

So... it seems like the G-Lab unit that Digitalscream mentioned before *might* be the better solution for me. Because it's not actually switching DSP, just relays - which *should* be much quicker. The pedals I would need - lets call it noise-gate and attenuator for now - would always be on, so it's just audio signals that are switching.

Of course I would need a midi foot controller that could send a program change and a control change at the exact same time, and that might require some rethinking of my floorboard setup, because the only cost effective one that I know of is the Behringher FCB1010.

Orrrrrr.... I just bite the bullet and try out the resistor modifications that have been posted online.
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371
    edited November 2013

i tried everyway i could think of to get the midi switching working without that latency,

I ended up selling the amp as i found it too compromising live,

edited November 2013
    Yeah there is a tiny bit, but it is small enough for me to not care about playing at home in my bedroom, so in a band mix I don't think I am going to care that much. The huge latency was the fault of the M13. It's not too bad with the Digitech, and I've got some passable options going now; the most suitable of which is to use the GSP1101 for my clean tones, and the amp for crunch and high-gain.