Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Drew's EVH5150III 50watt thread (aka Incoming...)

What's Hot

Comments

• keithfkeithf Frets: 372
    edited November 2013
    I think you might have to re case the gubbins,you'll see what i mean when you see the way the switches are mounted,new ones won't have anything in the way of material to support them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2211
    edited November 2013
    Strangely, the one thing that puts me off about these amps is that there always seems to be an absolute raft of them for sale...
    And I'm kinda wondering why that is...

I'd really like to try one out, but I think it's maybe slightly telling?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    edited November 2013
    Nerine said:
    Strangely, the one thing that puts me off about these amps is that there always seems to be an absolute raft of them for sale...
    And I'm kinda wondering why that is...

I'd really like to try one out, but I think it's maybe slightly telling?
    I'd agree that this week there are plenty for sale but when I was putting up wanted ad's it was months before I saw a used one and when they do come up the price is pretty high for a second hand amp.   I almost gave up looking and was debating between getting a new one or something else.   I did give up looking for a used cab and bought new.

If the features would suit you then I would definitely try one.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Well, my GSP1101 4-cable method + midi experience isn't really delivering... the shizz just doesn't change quick enough for me. Example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/gsp1101_glitch.mp3

Really quite annoying to be honest. Gotta re-think.

thats a pretty quick change fella,i think the only way to make it less of an issue is to running the fx unit in parallel,not quite sure how you'd achieve that though

getting a seamless change is nigh on impossible ,i've been trying to sort the midi thing for years.
  • It sounds more like a pop than a gap at least. Have you taken a look at it in a daw?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Yes. It's definitely the GSP not quite changing quickly enough, so you get a strange effect. The amp doesn't do it itself when not using the GSP or midi. So for now I think I'm just ignoring the midi capabilities.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Drew_fx said:
    Yes. It's definitely the GSP not quite changing quickly enough, so you get a strange effect. The amp doesn't do it itself when not using the GSP or midi. So for now I think I'm just ignoring the midi capabilities.
    This is what other people have found in the past too, IIRC threads from old MR forum.
    Yesterday I tried my EVH5153 and my JVMJS into my Egnater cab, running in stereo. I don't have an ABY box, so couldn't test the switching - had to use the two outputs from my Boss TU-2 to get it to work. But effectively had the EVH coming out of two speakers, and the JVM coming out the other two. It didn't sound as boxy as a 2x12 can do though.

It sounded quite good! Using another amp dedicated to cleans could definitely be an option for me, and would leave me to put a noise-gate in the FX loop of the EVH, so when I'm not routed to it, it's completely silent.

I even thought about a cheapy Pod 2.0 modeller plus some kind of solid-state power amp going out into 8ohms. Something like the EHX 44 Caliber; portable as fuck, but loud enough for my clean tones.

Nasty ground loop though. I imagine I need a proper ABY box with a ground lift on one of the outputs?? Like the Radial ABY box??
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Drew_fx said:
    Yesterday I tried my EVH5153 and my JVMJS into my Egnater cab, running in stereo. I don't have an ABY box, so couldn't test the switching - had to use the two outputs from my Boss TU-2 to get it to work. But effectively had the EVH coming out of two speakers, and the JVM coming out the other two. It didn't sound as boxy as a 2x12 can do though.

It sounded quite good! Using another amp dedicated to cleans could definitely be an option for me, and would leave me to put a noise-gate in the FX loop of the EVH, so when I'm not routed to it, it's completely silent.

I even thought about a cheapy Pod 2.0 modeller plus some kind of solid-state power amp going out into 8ohms. Something like the EHX 44 Caliber; portable as fuck, but loud enough for my clean tones.

Nasty ground loop though. I imagine I need a proper ABY box with a ground lift on one of the outputs?? Like the Radial ABY box??
    Or the Gigrig Humdinger.
  • Drew_fx said:
     Using another amp dedicated to cleans could definitely be an option for me...
    You're soon going to end-up with one amp per sound. :-O 
    octatonic said:
    Drew_fx said:
    This is what other people have found in the past too, IIRC threads from old MR forum.

ME,thats one of the reasons i sold it so quick
    Oh I'm definitely not selling it. The high-gain tones are just too good. I'm gonna make this work one way or the other.
    if you can work out a way to run the fx in parallel you wont notice it,,it'll still be there but you're not focusing on the fx unit re processing the patch.i had a roland gp 100 runing like this with my h&k trilogy and it was as close to perfect as you could get,shame really that the amp sounded so shit in a live situation.
    Running a noise-gate in parallel isn't all that useful ;)

The only other thing I was really using the GSP for was to replace the clean channel. All in all... a good distortion pedal will solve this. Set the amp for clean+high gain... use pedal for mid-tones.
  • Get the hundred mate! Problem solved one amp one cab sorted!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Get the hundred mate! Problem solved one amp one cab sorted!
    Would the switching work for Drew though?  Lack of midi and having to get an extra box to convert it or tapdance the channels and effects was why i bought the 50w
  • There is a really cool advantage so having a pod or similar preamp for clean into a solid state power amp.

You have a backup by default for gigs. Okay, not the same, but when a nightmare happens... Having a simple 50-100 watt power amp (isp do one that's quite small but probably more reliable than the ehx) and a pod means you'll have everything you need to just about get by.
  • Just seems odd to me to compromise your sound because you like your pedal board! Surely your basic sound should come first. IMHO!