Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Kraken

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• digitalscream;780316" said:
    OK, I've listened to the Andertons and Victory demos in more detail, and I've got to say...I'm not hearing anything in the Kraken that I can't do with my Jet City JCA22H.

At least that's one bit of GAS cured :)
    So are you saying that the jca22h can sound like a 5150?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Evildurka said:
    digitalscream;780316" said:
    OK, I've listened to the Andertons and Victory demos in more detail, and I've got to say...I'm not hearing anything in the Kraken that I can't do with my Jet City JCA22H.

No, but then neither does the Kraken from what I've heard ;)

I mean - functionally, in terms of what it can actually do for me at a gig relative to my needs. The two masters being independent of the channels are irrelevant to me, and I don't need the multiple power levels. I'm focused on clarity and gain levels - don't get me wrong, it's absolutely the right design for a 2-channel amp as far as I'm concerned - crunch and drive are where it's at. It's just that I already have that :)
    <space for hire>
  • Oh, and for the record, the Jet City Custom 22 shipment is due to hit these shores in a couple of weeks, plus maybe a week or two to clear Customs.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscream;780912" said:
    Oh, and for the record, the Jet City Custom 22 shipment is due to hit these shores in a couple of weeks, plus maybe a week or two to clear Customs.
    Are they going to be making a big deal about the Martin Kidd connection and the model in general or is it under the radar style?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26757
    edited September 2015
    digitalscream;780912" said:
    Oh, and for the record, the Jet City Custom 22 shipment is due to hit these shores in a couple of weeks, plus maybe a week or two to clear Customs.
    Are they going to be making a big deal about the Martin Kidd connection and the model in general or is it under the radar style?
    I honestly don't know - it's not a secret, but given the fact that they're nearly here I'm a little confused as to why there's been no announcement at all so far.

In fact, to my knowledge there's only one site with any information about it at all - and you're looking at it.
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscream;780919" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:

digitalscream;780912" said:Oh, and for the record, the Jet City Custom 22 shipment is due to hit these shores in a couple of weeks, plus maybe a week or two to clear Customs.

I honestly don't know - it's not a secret, but given the fact that they're nearly here I'm a little confused as to why there's been no announcement at all so far.

In fact, to my knowledge there's only one site with any information about it at all - and you're looking at it.
    I keep googling it, but no info.

:(

I just want a nice clean, a nice rawk channel, low noise, and a decent instrument level loop with jet city build quality. They are so, so close with some models but not quite there.

I do wish the m5 was line level. Massive oversight, but short of getting an eventide h9 I don't know how else I'd get these sounds.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11920
    edited September 2015

I just want a nice clean, a nice rawk channel, low noise, and a decent instrument level loop with jet city build quality. They are so, so close with some models but not quite there.

Atma ! ;) 
  • RaymondLin;780956" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Atma ! ;) 
    I tried one and found it a bit bland for the money really! It sounded a bit flat. It also got a bit noisier than I'd like.

If the atma was a smaller uberschall... I don't know, it was nice but the cleans were a bit flat and the dirty wasn't really the heavy I want. Plus it looks hilarious. I know that shouldn't matter but it looks like my mum's bed side radio.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What cab did you run it with? (I love it's looks, different to the normal Torlex)
  • RaymondLin;781070" said:
    What cab did you run it with? (I love it's looks, different to the normal Torlex)
    It's not the cage amp look, but the colour, logo, shape...

It went into a bogner cube and an orange ppc212. Sounded better in the 212, but it's massive and heavy and rather defeats the point. The bogner cube sounded really nice for a small thing and if I'd not a/b'd I'd probably have loved it (bar the price!) but I was left a bit underwhelmed in comparison to the "real deal", so to speak.

I think, as is usually the case, it was the crazy positive reviews getting my hopes up that it would sound like a big old Marshall! It was nice in its own right though. Wouldn't complain if one came my way.

Even if it was perfect, I could get a custom mjw for less, which is currently my number one option (v6-20 with master volume and, if possible, a different preamp - jtm style channel and a really hard rocking modded jcm one). No idea if that's possible but I don't have the money yet so I'm not too fussed.
  • Channel 2 gets into 5150 territory easily in my opinion and I have owned 5150 mkiii
    RaymondLin;781070" said:

It went into a bogner cube and an orange ppc212. Sounded better in the 212, but it's massive and heavy and rather defeats the point. The bogner cube sounded really nice for a small thing and if I'd not a/b'd I'd probably have loved it (bar the price!) but I was left a bit underwhelmed in comparison to the "real deal", so to speak.

I think, as is usually the case, it was the crazy positive reviews getting my hopes up that it would sound like a big old Marshall! It was nice in its own right though. Wouldn't complain if one came my way.

Even if it was perfect, I could get a custom mjw for less, which is currently my number one option (v6-20 with master volume and, if possible, a different preamp - jtm style channel and a really hard rocking modded jcm one). No idea if that's possible but I don't have the money yet so I'm not too fussed.

Fair enough. Bogner do carry the same USA excess tax that PRS and Gibson suffers from, although not as much as Mesa. The best aspect I would describe the Atma is that it is great at a lot of sounds but it isn't the the best at any one particular sound. Versatility is it's advantage but it's also it's shortcomings.
  • RaymondLin;781401" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

RaymondLin;781070" said:What cab did you run it with? (I love it's looks, different to the normal Torlex)

Fair enough. Bogner do carry the same USA excess tax that PRS and Gibson suffers from, although not as much as Mesa. The best aspect I would describe the Atma is that it is great at a lot of sounds but it isn't the the best at any one particular sound. Versatility is it's advantage but it's also it's shortcomings.
    Yeah, that's a reasonable thing to say. It was great sounding, but not for me. I found it boring, though some amps I like a lot of people really dislike (and pedals!) so take that as you will.

Mesa take the piss a bit :( I want a mk5 25 but it's very expensive indeed. Perfect for my needs though.
  • It isn't Mesa it is Westside Distribution. Mesa is reasonable cost to quality in the US.
  • guitarfishbay;781567" said:
    It isn't Mesa it is Westside Distribution. Mesa is reasonable cost to quality in the US.
    Yes, this is true. My mistake.
  • Evildurka said:
    digitalscream;780316" said:

No, but then neither does the Kraken from what I've heard ;)

I mean - functionally, in terms of what it can actually do for me at a gig relative to my needs. The two masters being independent of the channels are irrelevant to me, and I don't need the multiple power levels. I'm focused on clarity and gain levels - don't get me wrong, it's absolutely the right design for a 2-channel amp as far as I'm concerned - crunch and drive are where it's at. It's just that I already have that :)
    Right, so...I was completely wrong, and the Kraken really is my kind of amp. For my needs, it's got that extra 10% that you don't find on the Jet City amps.

I'm curious...how many other people on this thread have tried/bought one?
    <space for hire>
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I bought one and I'm smitten. It's not historically my kind of amp but I wanted to try and spread my wings a bit.
    Massive learning curve for me but it's a fantastic amp. Much more versatile than one might assume.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    It next on my list once I've shifted some gear and raised funds. Any opinions after honeymoon period has finished? 
  • I have had one and had to sell it but now really want another one. Either that or a 5150 or the new 6505 mini. Kraken is best though me thinks