The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    Logie said:
    Staying with friends this weekend so we went for a 60 miler this morning to take in Sunningdale, Ascot, Virginia Water, Great Windsor Park etc. Got 15 mile into it and picked up a half inch gash in the sidewall of my new rear tyre. Went through two inner tubes limping 8 mile back to their house! Lovely scenery mind you
    Noo ....  from what I remember a lot of the strength comes from the side walls.....so bin it.....
    drofluf said:
    45k this morning just on the edge of the Chilterns
    I did a 30 miler today, got back hom, opened the shed door and there were my legs !!!!!!  such a hard ride today

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Had a nightmare on my 2013 Cannondale Synapse last weekend. All revved up to go, got 50m down the road, first gear change ant the rear derailleur pivot let go! It must have just been the fatigue of 8 years of use. The pivot let go from the rear hanger, so the rear derailleur took out the front derailleur and the chain wrapped itself between the back of the rear cassette and the spokes - putting a nice little buckle in the wheel for good luck!

Now just awaiting the repair estimate.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    MtB said:
    Had a nightmare on my 2013 Cannondale Synapse last weekend. All revved up to go, got 50m down the road, first gear change ant the rear derailleur pivot let go! It must have just been the fatigue of 8 years of use. The pivot let go from the rear hanger, so the rear derailleur took out the front derailleur and the chain wrapped itself between the back of the rear cassette and the spokes - putting a nice little buckle in the wheel for good luck!

Now just awaiting the repair estimate.

Ouch, hope it's not to much of a dent in your wallet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5025
    edited June 2021
    Cav is going to Le Tour!

Mark Cavendish

Sam Bennett has ruled himself out of the tour due to his knee injury so the Manx Missile heads back to France. Can't really see him winning 4 stages to get to Merckx's record but could well get at least one more given his recent form.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TdF Stage One. Absolute fucking carnage!!!
    Two mass pileups on the first day! Wow. If it continues like this there won't be any riders left to scale Mont Ventoux. 
    The repair bill for my bike repair came to £350 (the new rear wheel was over £100 on its own)
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3742
    Managed just short of 90km before breakfast yesterday with 600m climbing. Was aiming for 100km but didn’t have the legs, would have probably managed the 100 with food and without an unnecessary detour up what I thought was White Horse Hill. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5025
    edited June 2021
    MVDP beasted them all to win today and to do what Pou-Pou never could, bet he'll sleep in the Maillot Jaune tonight D

May be an image of 1 person

Tour de France Mathieu van der Poel dedicates stage win to grandad after  taking yellow jersey  Cycling News  Sky Sports

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7814
    Just wondering if anyone has and good GPS tracking solutions for kids?

My daughter (7) is getting into the downhill this year is enjoying flow trails alot. At the moment I record the ride on my phone and upload to strava, but she would like to track her own data. Happy to do this, but srtava has an over 13 policy and also she doesn't have a phone... and I don't want to get her one, so any good kid friendly options out there but for recording and tracking?
    I assume you also want to be able to record where she’s been like in Strava? As opposed to just seeing where she is currently? In which case you’ll either need a dedicated device like a Garmin/Wahoo etc.. but they also need an account which will probably have similar age restrictions. 
    @drofluf ah, yes - it's only for recording rides and viewing them later as in Strava, not for real time tracking.
    @drofluf ah, yes - it's only for recording rides and viewing them later as in Strava, not for real time tracking.
    Then to get any meaningful use from it I'm pretty sure that you'll need to use Strava, MapMyRide etc.  (all of which seem to have similar age restrictions) and get "confused" when entering the year of birth - but given her age I totally understand why you don't want this. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12416
    I have Urban biker on my phone. Dont think its age restricted
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    I'd very much doubt there will be anything that is officially available to under 13s, as anything actively aimed at children opens up a whole can of worms for companies in terms of child protection, liability, and privacy.

Personally, cheap GPS, and a suitably doctored account on Strava. It will be against everybody's T&Cs, but I'd very much doubt anybody is going to complain if you don't tell anyone.
    Just don't become one of those pushy parents! At that age bike riding should all be about having fun, not figures.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1510
    Given there are a loads of these "cycling mad" four year olds all over twitter with Strava account I think there is nothing really stopping you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    euan said:
    Given there are a loads of these "cycling mad" four year olds all over twitter with Strava account I think there is nothing really stopping you
    Are there?

Will have to get my son a Twitter account then as a fully paid up member of the cycling mad 4 year old club :)

Decided just to sign the daughter up to Strava, she's desperate to see her maps.

On another note, simply awesome to see Cav claim another stage in the TdF today!
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    Right…I’m going to start riding again. Purely for exercise as I’m a lazy git, and I don’t like running as it bores the hell out of me! 

I currently have a really old, cheap Raleigh full sus mtb that weighs as much as the earth so I’m looking for something a bit better. I would buy second hand but, being paranoid, it feels like every bike on FB marketplace is probably nicked….so, let’s say I have £450 ish to buy a hardtail, what does anyone recommend? It will be for off road tracks, but nothing too adventurous for now. Something like the Trek Marlin 4 looks good, but I have zero idea so what does the great forum brain think?
    Right…I’m going to start riding again. Purely for exercise as I’m a lazy git, and I don’t like running as it bores the hell out of me! 

I currently have a really old, cheap Raleigh full sus mtb that weighs as much as the earth so I’m looking for something a bit better. I would buy second hand but, being paranoid, it feels like every bike on FB marketplace is probably nicked….so, let’s say I have £450 ish to buy a hardtail, what does anyone recommend? It will be for off road tracks, but nothing too adventurous for now. Something like the Trek Marlin 4 looks good, but I have zero idea so what does the great forum brain think?

Bikes have evolved so much over the years,  when the "mountain" bike came out it was just a beefed-up bike with large tyres,  which I had for 30 years "Claude Butler Magna"  then in came suspension, in it's various forms, now there is a bike for every discipline you can think of.

For everyday use and a bit of trail riding something like the Trek would be ideal. The thing I would say which in my opinion is more important than the bike make, is the groupset  the better the groupset the nicer the  ride,  here is a nice explanation

I hope Cav gets the record this year, and Pogacar is something else!!

My concern on the Trek is that it has quite an old group set (essentially gears). It’s 3x7 whereas the new stuff is 1/2x10/11. You may be better looking for something higher range with at least 9 speeds on the back. Will give you more choice of gears, potentially a better range and better spares availability.