The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    How did everyones cycling year go?.

I like to assess mine on mileage covered and any ride out of the ordinary.

I did just over 1,200 miles and the only ride outside my 35 -45 mile range was a 60 mile ride over the Bwlch mountain here in South Wales which takes me two hours before I reach it. I would have liked to have done 400 more miles but there you go.

Have a good 2024 cycle year everyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3750
    Not as well as I’d have liked. Illness and work wiped out the last 6 weeks plus my wife having to visit her mother every month meant I missed a lot of club runs. So most of my riding was on the turbo which is good for fitness but not for clocking up the miles. So just over 2000 kilometres 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    No where near as much as I would have liked, but having just checked Strava, not as bad as I thought.

I've apparently managed 2338km, and 69458m of climbing, which I'm quite happy with given I've got over 40 sessions logged that were digging trails.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited December 2023
    Not great, didn't manage to get out much as kids seem to take up all my free time! The few rides I did manage went well though, have got my confidence back on jumps and rode some trails that I didn't think I'd be able to do any more, so that was a win. 

Thinking of retiring the MTB for a while and going for a gravel bike to be able to ride what we have locally without feeling way overbiked. Have to drive to reach any half decent MTB trails or jump spots so it cuts into the day too much. The thought of not having a MTB doesn't sit right though as I haven't been without one since I really got into bikes 15+ years ago!
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    Life does have a habit of getting in the way :s  I think July and August weatherwise were not too good, I have upped my swimming tho' which I am enjoying, both pool and sea (in the warmer months) jogging ....not going so well and Racketball has replaced Squash which is easier on the body (much needed for an old git like me) and when all else fails ...... go for a walk.

• A magnificent year, considering that at its start I hadn’t been cycling for a few years (and never that often or far), and only decided to start up again in March. Buying a mountain bike is what got me in the mood, and I enjoyed getting to grips with local trails. 

I got out my road bike, which hadn’t been touched for a couple of years. I very quickly caught the road bug. 10 miles turned to 20…30. I completed a 50km sportive in July then a 75km one in August, smashing so many ceilings. My longest ride was 50 miles, in which I finally managed to cycle all the way around Snowdon. I did 1100 miles in 2023, which to me is mindblowing… I’ve lost weight and am fitter than I’ve been for years. 

In August I bought my first carbon frame, a Giant Defy Advanced 2, which has improved my riding experience so much. The only dissapointment is that the mountain biking tailed off mid summer as the road cycling ramped up. It’s fun but I’m getting more out of road cycling. 

Not done much this winter apart from the odd turbo.. can’t wait to get properly started again in the spring. A 100km ride is my first big target for next year. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Was a good year for me... I really wanted to do a long distance ride, and I managed a couple of 100 km + rides.

Commuted to work for the first time in years.

Mtb was good too... I improved on all my down hill loops and started clearing some jumps. Did my first 1m drop, which was scary...

Got a smart trainer for Xmas, so hoping to be fit at the start of spring.
  • Year was alright I guess. 2600 miles done. Tore my rotator cuff in May so that didn’t help things so mostly been on the gravel bike doing shortish rides. 16 to 20 milers as consistently as I can. 
    Arm is mostly better now but if I push things it definitely still gives me trouble. Been back on the mtb a bit more lately and loving it though now I have a new fear of falling and buggering my already slightly buggered arm again. Fun. 
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5033
    edited December 2023
    Good start to my year, which then petered out the last few months due to a lot of shitty weather and a dip in motivation.

Went to Oz for the Tour Down Under in January, amongst other things (was there for a month), managed to get Norton Summit and Wilunga Hill ticked off, and did some downhill down Mount Lofty, which was quite terrifying, haha. My "mountain biking" consists of a hardtail on the canal and a few gravel tracks.

Trip to Mallorca in April and did the Cap Formentor lighthouse route from Pollenca, only 40K but with 1000m elevation and a few 17% bits, ouch. Sa Calobra was still closed though.

Commuted most of the year so not totally inactive, but no 100K plus rides like previous years.

Need to get my ass in gear (sic) though, I'm signed up for Ride London at the end of May so just 5 months to get ready for my first proper Century!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Anyone using a smart trainer to stay fit in winter?

I got a fuego (same as zwift hub) for Xmas and a rouvy subscription. Must say, I'm enjoying touring the virtual world... 

Finding the workouts very tough, having a gang of virtual riders does wierdly seem to add some motivation to keep the speed up!!
    I have done, but not really had the motivation for it the past couple of years, but it was invaluable during lockdown when I couldn't get my regular post-work night rides in.

During lockdown I done one of the 6 week Zwift training plans, and it was good, but with being able to ride a bike regularly at my usual post-work spots, I just couldn't find a balance between virtual riding and real riding. This winter, the road bikes not even been fitted to the trainer.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    @m_c makes total sense, I would prefer a real ride, but given winter here is a mix of snow, ice and rain, I'm keen to see if I can stay motivated to ride indoors until spring.

I haven't tried zwift yet... on the list..
    I think the only times I used Zwift last year was when it was too cold and wet to be bothered with a real ride.
    Main reason I've not bothered this year, is unemployment has increased day time riding opportunities.

The one thing I always found with Zwift, is a nice gentle ride takes a lot of will power. As soon as that first rider passes you, you just have to try your hardest to catch up/pass them :)

If you do get into Zwift, Zwift Insider do a nice downloadable and printable list of all the routes - Printable List of Zwift Routes by Difficulty | Zwift Insider
    I think I managed to tick off everything up to 4 Bidon a couple years ago, but I just didn't have the will power to spend hours sat on the turbo for the long distance routes. I've just got the mental strength to sit spinning pedals in the same position for more than a couple of hours, let alone to complete a century.
  • Yep. I use zwift quite a lot when it's cold, windy and wet outside. #wimp, lol
    I like the group rides, although the draft, and perfect road/ no wind does rather elevate one's ego regarding average speed. 35-40km/h on a 20 miler? Not in my real life ;) 
    The way I see it is an indoor ride is better than no ride.
    Commuted today and it was lovely, headwind and pissing it down both ways. Gotta love living on a coastal headland, lol.
    But I do need to keep getting the miles in one way or another before May for RideLondon....

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Last year felt like a low mileage year to me. I rode almost 3000 miles, but because that was mainly commuting it didn't feel all that high. I only had a few longer days out (71 miles out to Newcastle Emlyn was one I remember.), didn't do any races at all for the first time in a while,. and did none of the multi-day rides I was planning. MTBing was down as well because we had so much rain for so much of the year and that was almost entirely very local stuff. 

I'm feeling fit as we go into the new year, though, it's not raining and it wasn't pitch black when I rode into work this morning, so things are good...
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    TTBZ said:
    Not great, didn't manage to get out much as kids seem to take up all my free time! The few rides I did manage went well though, have got my confidence back on jumps and rode some trails that I didn't think I'd be able to do any more, so that was a win. 

Thinking of retiring the MTB for a while and going for a gravel bike to be able to ride what we have locally without feeling way overbiked. Have to drive to reach any half decent MTB trails or jump spots so it cuts into the day too much. The thought of not having a MTB doesn't sit right though as I haven't been without one since I really got into bikes 15+ years ago!
    I was going to ditch the mtb for work but glad i didnt.. the roads are a mess and dont fancy wrecking the road bike with potholes. Just had the van shelving altered so i can fit mine and the kids 2 bikes in the back.
    I just wont allow them on the road due to the ammount of near missess i face every day.  I may quit cycling till the summer and choose where to cycle rather than trying to fit it in with my routine.. Im not a cyclist i do like being out along the canals on my bike with the kids and i have friends who use Strava etc and take it far more serious..im just too lazy tbh..
  • Thinking of trying different tyres for my MTB. It's a Trek Roscoe 8 Hardtail with 27.5 wheels. Currently has Maxxi Rekons+ 2.8 on front and back. They felt comfortable on the dry trails in the summer, but it's been mentioned here previously they might not be the best for muddy, Welsh conditions. Also, they make riding on tarmac very noisy and energy sapping, when I'm riding to and in between trails etc, though I imagine all trail type wheels won't exactly fly on hard surfaces? Would something more grippy be worse? I'm not doing very technical stuff yet...blue trails and forestry tracks etc. 

Thinking about going down to 2.6, any recommendations? 
    @MagicPigDetective Rekons are a fairly open tread pattern, but the plus size will likely mean they don't cut through and grip mud that well.
    Plus size tyres were a thing for a while, but sizes have dropped back to more normal sizes over the past few years.

You're going to have to compromise between grip, and fast rolling if you want road sections to be quieter and less energy sapping. Personally I'd probably suggest something 2.6(ish) and fast rolling on the rear, with something possibly a bit thinner (2.4) and grippier on the front.

However I'm probably not the best for specific tyre suggestions, as I love Michelin Enduro's on the front, with whatever I happen to get for a good price on the rear (preference is a Michelin Enduro rear, but currently running a Continental Kryptotal as I got it for nothing and it's actually a good tyre)
  • Is it the Michelin Wild Enduro's that you have - @m_c ; ? Like these?
    Michelin Wild Enduro Front Competition Line 27.5" MTB Tyre | Tredz Bikes
    That's them.
    The rear versions are good as well, with the pattern designed to be a bit faster rolling, but with similar grip once you get leant over.

If you do go Michelin, you'll probably want Gum-X compound, not Magi-X compound. Gum-x is the harder less grippy compound, so rolls faster.