The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    @MagicPigDetective is your Roscoe actually a 27.5+ designed bike? If so then don't go below 2.6 as the geometry will be off.

I have a merida big trail 800 from the 27.5+ days. The fork is actually a 29er fork, if the Roscoe has the same, then putting a 27.5 x 2.4 or smaller on the bike would not be the best idea...

I'd recommend 2.6 schwalbe hans dampf, with the harder compound on the back and soft on the front.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    As m-c said, it's a compromise. Most of the bunch I ride with down here in Swansea area are on something a bit grippier like a Minion/Assegai/Magic Mary type of tyre with something a little less draggy on the back. That's good for techier, steeper trails but not necessarily any good for sloppy muddy forestry. A mud tyre would be the solution for that. For trail centres, I'd be happy on 2.8 Rekons - I used those on a plus bike I used to have. They were decent enough for that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 312
    First ride of the year done, a 20 miler at about 70% effort. It was nice to get back on the bike after a two month lay off even tho' I was cold with numb feet. =)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    Managed 1600 miles last year and got the first ride of the year under my belt this morning. Only about 25 miles but after 6 weeks off the bike it was plenty! Aiming for 2000 this year.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    After months, no, years, of pondering and procrastinating, I finally decided to get a new bike built. Frameset arrived today…

https://i.imgur.com/lfClGYU.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    Shiny new is always good :)

I'm currently stuck in decision paralysis over what new knobbly tyred thing to buy.
    Top two contenders aren't quite ticking all the boxes.
    One is adourned with E.Thirteen rubbish, however it is my favourite colour.
    Second also has E.Thirteen rubbish on it, and is my preferred bike on paper, except it uses a superboost rear hub, which severely limits hub/wheel choice. And the frame only option isn't a colour that I really like :/
    (yes I know I'm shallow when it comes to bike colours. Last big bike cost me a lot more than it could have, just because I didn't like the fully built colour option!)

On the plus side, I've been gradually upping the mileage/climbing, and managed to complete the monthly Strava climbing challenge last month.
    After spending too much time digging over the past few months, climbs are starting to feel OK again, and the legs are feeling better.

Road bike has been serviced in anticipation of dry roads and double digit temperatures, and the short travel full bouncer is currently being rebuilt to get more off-road miles in, in anticipation of my planned autumn adventure.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5037
    I'm upping the miles ahead of Ride London's 100 miler in May! 

Legs are seemingly OK, but with only 2 and a bit months to go I stilll wonder if I bit off more than I can chew?

More worried about my shoulders, lol
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Not been a great winter, with only a handful of rides. I’ve developed a pain in my knee- patellar tendonitis. A physio has given me some excercise to strengthen the knee and its improving. I don’t feel any pain when cycling, will need to see how it goes and build up the miles gradually. 
    I haven't been out for two months due to illness,  hopefully another few weeks I may be out. 

Legs are seemingly OK, but with only 2 and a bit months to go I stilll wonder if I bit off more than I can chew?

I'm sure you will be ok. Get a few 100 miles weeks in and a few 60-70 miles if you can and you'll kill it
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 297

What kind of mileage are you hitting and what amount of elevation?

The route this year seems to be very similar to the first year out to Essex, which means fast and flat. If you can get yourself to 100km and maybe 2000-2500 meters elevation on a day, you'll easily be able to tackle the 160km and 1300m of the Essex route. Just make sure you are hydrated and fueled very well. The biggest block will be mental, not physical. I ran into a mental headwind from around 105-120km, but just focused on a steady pace and regular cadence and eventually pushed through it. From 120k on I was surprised at how good I felt. 

I'm sure you'll kill it. It's quite a thrill riding with so many people so quickly on the way out to Essex. Your average speed will go way up, just don't overdo it. 
    m_c said:
    Shiny new is always good :)

I'm currently stuck in decision paralysis over what new knobbly tyred thing to buy.
    Top two contenders aren't quite ticking all the boxes.
    One is adourned with E.Thirteen rubbish, however it is my favourite colour.
    Second also has E.Thirteen rubbish on it, and is my preferred bike on paper, except it uses a superboost rear hub, which severely limits hub/wheel choice. And the frame only option isn't a colour that I really like :/
    (yes I know I'm shallow when it comes to bike colours. Last big bike cost me a lot more than it could have, just because I didn't like the fully built colour option!)

On the plus side, I've been gradually upping the mileage/climbing, and managed to complete the monthly Strava climbing challenge last month.
    After spending too much time digging over the past few months, climbs are starting to feel OK again, and the legs are feeling better.

Road bike has been serviced in anticipation of dry roads and double digit temperatures, and the short travel full bouncer is currently being rebuilt to get more off-road miles in, in anticipation of my planned autumn adventure.
    What have you got against e thirteen?
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    m_c said:

It's pretty average stuff for an above average price, and not that reliable.
    Crank extractor strips, so you have to cut them off.
    Wheels are pretty average, but their hubs aren't that great.
    The main good thing they make, and what they built their reputation on, are their chain guides.

For a big bike that will be ridden hard, there are other brands I'd much rather have, but e13 has been pushing OE stuff hard so quite a lot of bike brands are using their stuff just now.

I know which bike/frame I'd prefer, but the colour scheme I'd prefer has a build spec I don't really like (air shock, SRAM drivetrain/brakes, and e13 wheels). And the frame only option comes in a colour scheme that I think is a bit mleh :/
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5037
    Jaycee said:
    I haven't been out for two months due to illness,  hopefully another few weeks I may be out. 

I'm sure you will be ok. Get a few 100 miles weeks in and a few 60-70 miles if you can and you'll kill it
    pt22 said:

What kind of mileage are you hitting and what amount of elevation?

The route this year seems to be very similar to the first year out to Essex, which means fast and flat. If you can get yourself to 100km and maybe 2000-2500 meters elevation on a day, you'll easily be able to tackle the 160km and 1300m of the Essex route. Just make sure you are hydrated and fueled very well. The biggest block will be mental, not physical. I ran into a mental headwind from around 105-120km, but just focused on a steady pace and regular cadence and eventually pushed through it. From 120k on I was surprised at how good I felt. 

I'm sure you'll kill it. It's quite a thrill riding with so many people so quickly on the way out to Essex. Your average speed will go way up, just don't overdo it. 
    I'm commuting 8 miles a day, Zwifting about 50 miles a week and doing an IRL ride of about 25 miles currently, cos the weather's shit.

Signed up for the 8 week Zwift 100-200km plan which I'm starting on Monday. 

I'm good doing 100km rides, done Liv-Chester-Liv (90Km) many times and do Liv to Preston return (100Km) and train out to Conwy and ride back (100km). Longest ride to date was a 72 mile from Budapest to Visegrad and back following the Giro, and that included the mountain finish in the middle so I'm probably good.

Thanks for the encouragement fellahs, pretty much what I was hoping to hear :)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...

I'm commuting 8 miles a day, Zwifting about 50 miles a week and doing an IRL ride of about 25 miles currently, cos the weather's shit.

Signed up for the 8 week Zwift 100-200km plan which I'm starting on Monday. 

I'm good doing 100km rides, done Liv-Chester-Liv (90Km) many times and do Liv to Preston return (100Km) and train out to Conwy and ride back (100km). Longest ride to date was a 72 mile from Budapest to Visegrad and back following the Giro, and that included the mountain finish in the middle so I'm probably good.

Thanks for the encouragement fellahs, pretty much what I was hoping to hear :)

If that is what you are doing you won't have any problem.

Most of the "problem" will be the mental side of it, a "centuary" ride is the cyclists marathon a huge achievement.  Just enjoy the day
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    After months, no, years, of pondering and procrastinating, I finally decided to get a new bike built. Frameset arrived today…

Let’s see the contents please…?
    m_c said:
    m_c said:

It's pretty average stuff for an above average price, and not that reliable.
    Crank extractor strips, so you have to cut them off.
    Wheels are pretty average, but their hubs aren't that great.
    The main good thing they make, and what they built their reputation on, are their chain guides.

For a big bike that will be ridden hard, there are other brands I'd much rather have, but e13 has been pushing OE stuff hard so quite a lot of bike brands are using their stuff just now.

I know which bike/frame I'd prefer, but the colour scheme I'd prefer has a build spec I don't really like (air shock, SRAM drivetrain/brakes, and e13 wheels). And the frame only option comes in a colour scheme that I think is a bit mleh :/
    Ah, good to know as their stuff always comes up in component searches and I'd seen them fitted to factory models more and more.
    vanlooy1 said:

Let’s see the contents please…?
    I wanted to wait until it’s fully built, but here’s a sneak preview:

https://i.imgur.com/mVnfXsZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vStj0r2.jpeg
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2521
    C64 with direct mount brakes, nice. Are you going mechanical or electronic shifting?
    edited March 17
    I refuse to buy a bike that requires firmware updates, so it will be mechanical. Specifically, Campagnolo Chorus.

Seriously though, I like to maintain my bikes myself and the EPS groupsets are just ridiculously expensive - for components that wear out or are often damaged. So much of what the bike industry is trying to force on me is stuff I don’t want - hydraulic disc brakes, tubeless tyres, bib longs that don’t have stirrups, white shoes, and those socks that reach half way up your calf.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2521
    I love Campag. Here’s my C60

Watch out with the rear mech cable on the C64, there’s a weird corner that the cable has to navigate at the chain stay. Either a length of inner liner or one of those housing ferrules with a long tail attached should stop any rubbing