Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rough gigs

What's Hot

Comments

• I have only ever had to sack one bassist, but loads of drummers, scariest was this Neanderthal we had who took a dislike to Keyboard player. Started kicking him in middle of pub, all 5 of us sat around during a rehearsel and I had to deal with it.
    Said what the ****is going on and he replied it's me or him, which was quite scary, he was ex army, a prop forward  and hard as nails. So I sacked him on the spot and he just stared at me, whilst band mates were finding the bottom of their pint glasses very interesting and being extremely quiet. 
    He eventually got up and walked out, it was only when we saw his car go past window that they all said we were right behind you taff! Like shit! 
    Every band has a leader and he has to deal with the situation however difficult that may be, 
    I have sacked mates which is very hard to do, but not as scary! 
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well done to you and many LOLs at your band mates hiding!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Had a bit of an incident at the last gig.....

We're playing Sweet Child O'Mine to close the set, crowd are going nuts..... up comes the big guitar solo.... going into it, I nail it....feeling good..... here comes the fast widdly bit..... aaaaaaand the guitar is completely out of tune suddenly.

What the hell???

Turns out the bass player / singer, in his excitement, hit my tuning pegs with his arm, knocking the top three strings way out of tune. Needless to say, very embarrassing - spent the second half of the solo trying to find notes that were in the right key!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:

We're playing Sweet Child O'Mine to close the set, crowd are going nuts..... up comes the big guitar solo.... going into it, I nail it....feeling good..... here comes the fast widdly bit..... aaaaaaand the guitar is completely out of tune suddenly.

What the hell???

Turns out the bass player / singer, in his excitement, hit my tuning pegs with his arm, knocking the top three strings way out of tune. Needless to say, very embarrassing - spent the second half of the solo trying to find notes that were in the right key!
    You've found the USP for G-Force / Min-E-tune! 

Mid-solo singer collision? Hit the tune button on Gforce and in 5 seconds you're back in the game!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    FarleyUK said:

What the hell???

If that was with a Gibson you're quite lucky the headstock stayed on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2240
    Did a Christmas scratch band gig which went ok but had a scare. 

Due to the very low volume I couldnt get a decent overdrive sound cos the amp was barely on. SO I had a brainwave and set up the AC4 on full for overdrive for two songs. Amp sounded amazing, best overdrive ever until a bar from the end of the first song. Yes you guessed it, amp cut out. I had to goose the preamp on the clean amp for the second song, sounded less than good. 

Dont use a Vox full on unless you have a spare. 

Anyway amp fired up later so it must have got sulky or have a cut out. 
  • 2 days after putting our ad up, we've got 5 drummers interested!!
    One guy is a retired session pro who's toured the world and played with top acts. 
    The others are also "up there"!
    Crikey!
  • 2 days after putting our ad up, we've got 5 drummers interested!!
    One guy is a retired session pro who's toured the world and played with top acts. 
    The others are also "up there"!
    Crikey!
    If you build it, they will come!
    :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol!!
    Auditions in January... fingers crossed !
  • I think we just got two more - 6 drummers!!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    6 is enough that maybe one will find the rehearsal room on the right day ;-)

Apologies for stating the obvious, but I'd filter out the time waster with the usual questions before trying them -  transport, gear, experience, happy to do the number of gigs/fee you plan  etc   
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think we just got two more - 6 drummers!!
    You could try for a slipknot tribute act.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • We're filtering a few out based on txtspk and attitude and what we can hear based on online clips. :)
  • Bassist thinks as soon as we get a decent drummer we cancel all auditions after that. I think we honour them as people have taken time to learnt the tunes. What is your opinion? 

I'm dying to do Paradise City (lol) but it's not happening so if I see a great drummer during audition that I think is into that and wants to do rock, I might splinter. I'm like a beast in a cage, man!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    edited January 2016
    Definitely honour them. You never know - the last guy on the list might be the best. And you want a plan B if the first guy doesn't work out.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Try them all. You might need a dep at some point.

Also, record the auditions and listen back. Sometime stuff jumps out at you that you don't hear the first time around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers guys, appreciated
  • OMG. 

Had two drummers in last night. First guy, same age as me, tatooed, G N' R fan. Drums were fantastic, spot on. 

Second guy was the session drummer who'd played with big names and did big band stuff. Didn't fit in and the drums weren't as good as the first guy, or at least not suited to the style! 

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    edited January 2016
    Had a rough one last night.... Playing in a new venue, large crowd, was really looking forward to it..... ......and 3 hour before the gig, I slice the entire layer of skin off the top of my left index finger knuckle. Yes, my fretting hand. There was a patch of skin 2mm deep, 1cm wide and 2 cm tall that had been sliced off! 

2 hours later in the hospital, I have 8 butterfly stitches, a crap-ton of glue and lots of bandage tape on my finger, meaning I literally cannot bend it. The show had to go on however, and I somehow managed to stumble through.... Not fun though!!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom