Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Famous musicians you have met ......

What's Hot

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Cliff Richard (same garden centre)
    For scientific purposes, it woud be of great interest to determin whether the front of his garden was at a lower elevation above sea level than the back... :-B
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited September 2016
    In my mid 20's, which was about 35 years ago, I used to rehearse in a band at a school in Stanwell, Middx. In another school room, Mark Brzezicki used to practice there with his bass player brother Steve.

For a while I was part of a group that got to know them and jam together. He was an astonishingly brilliant drummer and obviously destined for greater things (eg.  Big Country plus numerous other bands). His brother Steve was also a great bass player.

Again in my 20's, I was asked to cover for another guitarist who was too busy and ended up in a very cold Nissen hut trying out for a Free type rock band with Peter Cox (Go West). Nothing came of it but I was struck by his incredible vocal talent and amazing ear for detail. Again another huge talent and obviously destined for greater things. Such a nice guy. When we met later he even apologised to me for the rehearsal, but I felt hugely priveledged to have had the experience.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Stevie Marriot bought me a beer at one of his gigs. I was a hugh fan and follow2d him  around a bit. One day he recognised me a thanked me for coming and bought me a pint.

When I briefly drove a taxi in the 90s I picked Tony Hadley up from his house , drove him to the BBC.  I waited for an hour as he did his interview.  Drove him home picking up his dry cleaning in the way. He talked about himself a lot and didn't give me a tip. He is very tall.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245 said:
    When I briefly drove a taxi in the 90s I picked Tony Hadley up from his house , drove him to the BBC.  He is very tall.
    True....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited September 2016
    relic245 said:
    When I briefly drove a taxi in the 90s I picked Tony Hadley up from his house , drove him to the BBC.  He is very tall.
    True....
    Pure Gold, these gags. Keep em up, son.

I know several people who've met the members of Spandau, but I always ask them to keep the anedcotes brief. So much simpler to cut a long story short.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skarloey said:
    Pure Gold, these gags. Keep em up, son. 
    Humour's very much a lifeline for me.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    relic245 said:
    Stevie Marriot bought me a beer at one of his gigs. I was a hugh fan and follow2d him  around a bit. One day he recognised me a thanked me for coming and bought me a pint.

When I briefly drove a taxi in the 90s I picked Tony Hadley up from his house , drove him to the BBC.  I waited for an hour as he did his interview.  Drove him home picking up his dry cleaning in the way. He talked about himself a lot and didn't give me a tip. He is very tall.
    Marriot - Legend.

The other bloke, not so much.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Guy Pratt - I fixed his Variax
    Mick Box - ditto
    Jerry Donahue - ditto (backstage)
    Steve Howe - ditto (really nice guy)
    Jan Akkerman - he stole my chair while his POD XT Pro was being repaired (he apologised profusely before I realised who he was)
    Albert Lee - I leant him my guitar in a pub in SE London
    Ant n Dec - I refused to hire them some radio mics ("they don't have to work") for a PA they were doing as PJ and Duncan back in the day... tossers.
    Eric Clapton - he knocked me off my feet opening the door of Andy's Guitar Workshop into my face... he was greatly concerned and stuck around to make sure I was OK... I was.
    Carol Dekker - the guitar player from T'Pau worked at my local guitar shop and they dropped in one day when I was in the shop... I was about 14/15... phwaarrrr.
    The Cheeky Girls - my other half's dog bit one of their rats-on-string dog whilst we were wandering around Rye one day. Yuk.
    Mark Chadwick - I bought him a pint in a pub in Hastings after a show
    Neil Finn - played five-a-side footy against him and the rest of the band behind the stage door of the Royal Albert Hall, watched by Prince Charles... yes, really. Pretty surreal...
    Ade Edmonson - wasn't impressed when I asked him when the Bad Shepherds were going to do a version of "Warriors of Gengis Kahn". No sense of humour...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I interviewed Black Francis of The Pixies for my Pixies fanzine

Interviewed MC4, Come and Buffalo Tom too.

Shook hands with Albert Lee after a show.

I had a photo taken with Transvision Vamp at a gig.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I was on the guest list and backstage at the Shepherd's Bush Empire for a Big Audio Dynamite gig, but despite being (distantly) related to him by marriage, I have still never met Mick Jones. I was introduced to Jason Donovan while I was there though.

I was on the guest list and backstage at Smashing Pumpkins first UK gig, at the Camden Underworld (we were friends with the support band, Scorpio Rising). Didn't meet the Pumpkins though . Apparently Kurt and Courtney were in the audience. You won't be surprised to hear that I failed to meet them too.

I saw Noel Gallagher in Andy's on Denmark Street once. He was playing a guitar and looking grumpy. I left him alone.

I saw Mani in a nightclub in Manchester once. He was clearly off his tits and I had better (i.e. female) people to talk to, so I left him alone.

So I guess in answer to the OP's question: no.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maxdmaxd Frets: 43
    God, name dropping is such poor taste, I remember tellin Hendrix the same thing
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    maxd said:
    God, name dropping is such poor taste, I remember tellin Hendrix the same thing
    Indeed. Guy and David were saying exactly this on Friday night after the show.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• maxdmaxd Frets: 43
    edited September 2016
    I remember that in the late 60s, at a Grateful Dead gig, I saw God and had quite a conversation with her.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    A friend of my mums was married briefly to the early bassist in Queen. I met him a few times when I was a kid, I thought he was so rock n roll. Uncle Mike. He was only in them for a year though, lol.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    A girlfriend was a full on groupie in the 80s/90s so Ive had a drink or three with shitloads of touring bands.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Met Goldie at the cheese counter in the local supermarket. Had a short chat, he was a very amiable chap.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Snap said:
    A friend of my mums was married briefly to the early bassist in Queen. I met him a few times when I was a kid, I thought he was so rock n roll. Uncle Mike. He was only in them for a year though, lol.

That would be Tim Staffell if memory serves me correctly. He was in the bad Smile with May/Taylor. Queen followed.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    A famous person at a Gilmour gig...with me...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22941
    ^ I'm assuming it's a rugby player?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22941
    Jalapeno said:
    Met Goldie at the cheese counter in the local supermarket. Had a short chat, he was a very amiable chap.
    I saw him getting off a train at Euston a few weeks ago.  Took him ages (relatively speaking) to get off the carriage, he had loads of phones and iPads - and possibly cheese - to pack up.