Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Famous musicians you have met ......

What's Hot
167891012»

Comments

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Dave Murray - chatted
    Joey Landreth - stood next to, but I was too cool to say hello
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    The Edge - several times - humble guy
    Bono - several times - 
    Adam Clayton - several times - always a gentleman 
    Mark E Smith from The Fall - supported them twice
    Glen Matlock 
    Miles Hunt - Wonderstuff
    Erica Nockles- Wonderstuff
    Dave Keauning - Killers
    Mr Hudson
    The Revillos - supported them

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gary Moore a fair few times. I lived in Brighton and saw him at GAK a lot.
    He played my LP when I bought it in to show Mike, lefty who worked there. He tore it up playing upside down! He was so kind and thoughtful

Natasha Khan - Bats for Lashes. She was our au pair in Brighton. Before that she was my middle son's nursery nurse. Lovely lady.

Slim from the Hamsters - loads at gigs but the best was at the Bicester shopping village in a book shop.

My wife has a list as long as your arm. Bowie is my highlight. They used to hide their stash as he rarely had anything of note with him!
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Met Joe Satriani back when I was 16 (i think) at a record signing in Manchester. Think I just made a squeaking sound when i met him - nervous as hell!!

Have met Andy Timmons a couple of times at clinics and even managed to buy the Ibanez AT guitar he played on the Andertons video just before the clinic he played in Guilford. Its my profile pic.
  • David Gilmour - Southbank in London. It looked like he was attending his sons graduation so just admired from afar. He was much much taller than expected.

Mark Tremonti - Met him a couple of times after Alter Bridge shows in my late teens. Very nice person, took the time to talk and signed my ticket. 18 year old me was ecstatic. 

Myles Kennedy - as above. Supremely nice chap.

Geddy Lee - At a book signing. Spoke for 30 secs or so, very pleasant but seemed a bit drained from stood signing books for a couple of hours.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339

Geddy Lee - At a book signing. Spoke for 30 secs or so, very pleasant but seemed a bit drained from stood signing books for a couple of hours.
    Envy!

I would have LOVED to have done the Geddy thing. It would have been a 30 second highlight of my life! Just couldn't spare the dosh at the time.
  • yockyyocky Frets: 811
    "Musician" is a stretch and "met" doesn't exactly describe it.......but during a Dublin drinking session in the mid 90s I fell asleep on the pavement outside Grafton Street McDonalds. When I woke up there was a huge crowd gathered around me and Robbie Williams was sticking chips up my nose.
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    yocky said:
    "Musician" is a stretch and "met" doesn't exactly describe it.......but during a Dublin drinking session in the mid 90s I fell asleep on the pavement outside Grafton Street McDonalds. When I woke up there was a huge crowd gathered around me and Robbie Williams was sticking chips up my nose.
    We have a winner!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22941
    yocky said:
    Direct physical contact, albeit through the medium of chips.  You've met him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    yocky said:
    Direct physical contact, albeit through the medium of chips.  You've met him.
    Going back a bit now but Robbie used to turn up at the odd session for drug misusers in Stoke Probation Office to do a don't do drugs kids type message. I didn't work there but I knew many of the staff who ran the groups and I worked at other times with someone who had gone to school with Robbie. So I've known a lot of people who have met him. All a bit third hand but on a good day seemingly he wasn't total wanker. Had been a bit of a loner/ class weirdo at school apparently so it was a bit of surprise that he ended up being rich and famous.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I once beat Dave Murray at scaletrix
    Once carried Jennifer Saunders' shopping to her car
    I was trying out a  guitar once in Chandlers and Gary Moore worked in
    I was playing stand-in bass for Orange Goblin at a festival in Germany and Tommy from Crowbar jumped on my back
    Same festival I met Papa  from Ghost (same hotel and the bassist was a friend) Machine Head were in the dressing room the other side to Ghost. Rob was actually pretty cool. I was more intrested in asking Dave about Slayer SA and the Narita demo
    Same festival was taking to Woodie and Reed from COC when Lars Ulrich stopped to say hello to them. Metallica were due on but he wanted to say hello to them first. Earlier Kirk Hamster had commented on my t-shirt whilst we were watching Ghost. 

• yockyyocky Frets: 811
    Reverend said:
    I once beat Dave Murray at scaletrix

This should be a Half Man Half Biscuit song
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I’ve seen Noel Gallagher a couple of times in the West End. One time in Vintage and Rare.

Paul Weller in a caff off Oxford St. he was wearing a leather jacket which seemed to be green. 

The one which actually meant something to me was the late Scott Walker, one of my favourite artists. On both occasions he was walking up Chiswick High Road with his bike panniers full of shopping. He had a reputation as a recluse which is complete tosh- a recluse wouldn’t go to Sainsbury’s in Chiswick in broad daylight. But it’s clear he was a very private man, so I didn’t stop him to try and speak. Actually i saw him once more at the Barbican. They put on a concert of his later work with various vocalists taking the reins. Scott was at the back on the desk supervising the live mix, and got an ovation  from the crowd. 

I saw Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy coming out of his house and getting into his car. That was a fluke! I had no idea he lived where I was that day. 

Seen loads of other well known people but no other musically related ones I can  think of. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Almost forgot. 

Many years ago worked as a mini cab driver for a short while.

Picked Tony Hadley up from his house, drove him to the BBC to do an interview. Waited an hour for him. Took a detour on the way back to pick up his dry cleaning. 

I was with him about 3 hours. He talked a lot about himself and didn't give me a tip.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    Gary Numan was a customer in the late 80's/early 90's. A slightly bizarre experience cos he dressed really regular kind of like he shopped at M&S, not like his stage persona at all. He was very friendly and down to earth. Now he's Mr Plastic surgery and lives in L.A. 
  • Met Rob Harris a few times, he knocked on my front door...trick or treat !
    “Ken sent me.”
  • I’ve visited Rod Stewart’s model railway workshop but he wasn’t there himself. Does a near miss count?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    Rory Gallagher and Rod De'Ath - Manchester Free Trade Hall (spoke to Rory a fair bit but Rod I don't think said anything)

Alvin Lee - Can't remember the name of the bar but Peter St in Manchester. He bought me a pint. Rest of the band was in but didn't speak to them. 

Deke Leonard (Man Band) - stronger Welsh accent than I was expecting. 

Shaun Ryder and Bez - Hacienda Manchester loads of times

Pete Shelley and Steve Diggle - mates of my mates brother. Steve lived round the corner from my mate. 

Quireboys - All of them in a pub in Bedford about 4 years ago. Didn't recognise them and was just all talking. I asked them what they did and they told me. I said they couldn't be the Quireboys because that band name was already taken years before. It was them though. They were impressed I could rattle off the track names on their albums. 

Suzi Quattro - UMIST union Chandos Hall Manchester.

Eric Johnson - A bar on 6th St Austin Texas. Small bar and not many in. Managed to miss his set but spoke to him at the bar. Seen him lots of other times playing other bars in the city. Used to go to Austin quite a lot in those days for long weekends as I lived in Fort Worth near Dallas for a few years. 

Willy Nelson - Stockyards, Fort Worth. Texas after one of his shows. He used to play there quite a lot.   

Paul Kossoff - Had a piss next to him in the bogs at the Palace Theatre Manchester. Didn't speak. 

Rod Stewart - He was in front of me and my mates in a chippy in Northenden Manchester after pub closing time. He wasn't that famous then and only a few of us knew who he was. There was only us and him in there. Didn't speak. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    Speaking of Rory Gallagher, I've met his (& Alex Harvey's) drummer, Ted McKenna several times. Great guy, happy to talk about anyone and everyone he's worked with. Also met Rory's bassist through much of his career, Gerry McAvoy. Another good guy, happy to chat and tell stories from his time on the road. 
    As for others, Tony TS McPhee (Groundhogs guitarist), Fish, Dan McCafferty, Gwyn Ashton, Bruce Welch (Shadows guitarist that isn't Hank Marvin!), Mauro Magellan & Dan Baird (ex Georgia Satellites). Chris Glen (SAHB bass player)

All of them were happy enough to chat. Can't say i've ever met any "name" acts who wouldn't take time to talk to fans
    Didn't know that Ted McKenna drummed for Rory. Alex Harvey was and still is my favourite live band. Zal Cleminson was vastly underrated in my opinion. His guitar solo on "Last fo the teenage idols" is up there with the best of them. It never ever gets mentioned in best of polls though. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited November 2020
    For one night each, I have been the driver for The Seekers, Bazza Manilow, and Curt Steiger.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom