Fractal FX8 users question

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    welshboyo said:
    @DavusPG

FX8 here, only had a chance to quickly run through the stock presets, 2 words HOLY SHIT!!!

Will do Strymon delays easily, well as much as I need anyway, rotary is probably the best I've heard/played..but the real icing on the cake is the drives, could quite easily just use the Shiva on the clean channel and use the drives, they all sound wonderful.

Going to try and get it up and running for the weekends gigs!!
    Glad you are digging it- I've said this on numerous threads already but it is the best floor based processor I've used and works brilliantly with a clean amp as it does with a multi-channel head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Set up 1 preset with 8 scenes and all amp switching using fx8 edit in about 30 minutes!!

2290 delay is especially nice!!
    welshboyo said:
    Set up 1 preset with 8 scenes and all amp switching using fx8 edit in about 30 minutes!!

2290 delay is especially nice!!
    I use the 2290 most of the time.
    Analog delay is nice too.
    Used the FX8 for the weekends gigs - holiday camps eeek!!!

Performed absolutely flawlessly and sounded great, definitely better than pedals IMO and took about 5 minutes to set up whole rig!!

Need to work on scenes and preset switching as the whole way the FX8 works is a little different to other units (but in a good way)

Happy to admit I'm a bit of a Fractal fanboy LOL!!
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Got to use mine for the first time last night - initially it took me a while to get the hang of it, but now have a few presets each with scenes which really opens up the options - I don't think I'll need anywhere near as many presets as I did before.

Still got lots of setting up to do as I found myself playing for ages each time I dialled in a new tone, which I guess is a good sign.

I found the computer editor much easier to use than the controls on the unit itself.

I love the fact it's so compact and am really looking forward to having less stuff on the floor from now on.

Has anyone got a board/case for theirs? I'm after a flat base to put it on and ideally want a flight case so I ca just unclip the top, plug in and I'm ready to go.
    @DavusPG

Yes that was me who bought the Dargie from you, it's now in Scotland somewhere and is for sale again for substantially more than I paid/sold it for...

Anyway, I'm waiting/deciding whether I need an expression pedal or not before casing it up, currently carting it around in one of those aluminium camera case things (also used for tools sometimes) as it fits perfectly. Using a cable snake it literally takes 5 minutes to set up.

Using a Bogner Shiva.
  • Custom District board ordered for mine.

Custom District board ordered for mine.
    Nice, what size have you gone for?
    edited November 2015
    Do you know if there is a problem with stage light glare with those boards?

One of the reason I like the pedaltrain boards is the black powder coating.
    welshboyo said:
    @DavusPG

Yes that was me who bought the Dargie from you, it's now in Scotland somewhere and is for sale again for substantially more than I paid/sold it for...

Anyway, I'm waiting/deciding whether I need an expression pedal or not before casing it up, currently carting it around in one of those aluminium camera case things (also used for tools sometimes) as it fits perfectly. Using a cable snake it literally takes 5 minutes to set up.

Using a Bogner Shiva.
    When you say cable snake do you just mean the 4 cables grouped together with ties?
  • DavusPG said:

I have gone 24x18. Got an EV1 plus small Cioks power for Suhr Minimix so this is smallest I could go.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    You know what ... Editing a pedal board with a laptop is horrible (but less horrible than navigating that menu system) I particularly dislike assigning expression pedal values . The M13 way o f doing it is much easier... As a result I haven't got round to using it in anger yet
    DavusPG said:

I have gone 24x18. Got an EV1 plus small Cioks power for Suhr Minimix so this is smallest I could go.
    I have mine on a TRex Tone Trunk- enough room for two expression pedals.
    I'm considering going a bit longer and adding a passive volume pedal so I don't lose an expression pedal to volume.

The FX8 itself fits a Pedaltrain Jnr perfectly, I might go for two juniors, one for expression and volume pedals and just build some interface boxes to connect them together with a single cable and a din plug.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Couple of questions -  how quickly do G66 ship them (looks like they are in stock at the moment),   did the last firmware update change the switching options?

As the ax8 seems to be taking an age to appear, I'm thinking I might just grab an fx8 now and then look at the ax8 again next year or grab an amplifire to go with it. 
  • Do you want to buy mine John? I have expression pedal too. Never used it.

dunstanmus;874851" said:
    Do you want to buy mine John? I have expression pedal too. Never used it.
    How come you are selling?
    You mentioned before it was the best piece of kit you've bought in the last 10 years.

• I think it is excellent. I found the sounds that I wanted and figured I may as well just use the pedals - which I already have.  I thought I would find uses for different phasers and speeds etc but actually I don't. I don't use multiple set ups so figured I am better off with the cash.

For what it does there is sonically nothing to touch it.  

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Hopefully, I'll confirm how good it is, later this week when mine arrives.    I think I'll still get ax8 at some point but for the next couple of months I just need the effects so an fx8 will do and I don't have to wait.   Should have just got one in the first place instead of waiting for fractal...
    John_P;877587" said:
    Hopefully, I'll confirm how good it is, later this week when mine arrives.    I think I'll still get ax8 at some point but for the next couple of months I just need the effects so an fx8 will do and I don't have to wait.   Should have just got one in the first place instead of waiting for fractal...
    Best unit I've ever had and that includes pedal setups.

The drives are something else and all of the other effects are top notch - you won't be disappointed..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Gigged mine for the first time last night. Blown away. I'm keeping some drive pedals, but I suspect they may be gathering dust.