Fractal FX8 users question

What's Hot

Comments

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    for those interested you can now assign the footswitches to do pretty much anything, e.g. split them and have 50% as scene selection, and 50% as instant Access

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9570
    edited January 2016
    So, my FX8 has arrived...

I bought it second hand, a few months old, and it is mint. Thing is, I'm a huge pedal (board) fan and I'm taking a risk here.

AND, I'm away from home in a hotel room, with no guitar and amp. I'm thinking... "might as well have a play with it then..." (the FX8..)

First thoughts - the FX8 is beautiful to behold; stunning build quality, incredible switches and the display is surprisingly clear. And, after a few minutes (and I'm not a tweaker) I've got it. The work flow is simple and natural, and the x/y may prove to be life change. I've downloaded FX8 Edit onto my Macbook Pro, and it is seamless with the unit.

This is gonna be fun !

Now, I just need to plug it in :)
  • So, my FX8 has arrived...

I bought it second hand, a few months old, and it is mint. Thing is, I'm a huge pedal (board) fan and I'm taking a risk here.

AND, I'm away from home in a hotel room, with no guitar and amp. I'm thinking... "might as well have a play with it then..." (the FX8..)

First thoughts - the FX8 is beautiful to behold; stunning build quality, incredible switches and the display is surprisingly clear. And, after a few minutes (and I'm not a tweaker) I've got it. The work flow is simple and natural, and the x/y may prove to be life change. I've downloaded FX8 Edit onto my Macbook Pro, and it is seamless with the unit.

This is gonna be fun !

Let us know what you think after you have had a play
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    So, my FX8 has arrived...

This is gonna be fun !

Cool, would be interetsed in your thoughts compared to the Helix.
    Bit scared by this... this really could be a game changer, if it sounds like I hope...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Wazmeister;940924" said:
    Bit scared by this... this really could be a game changer, if it sounds like I hope...
    It will.....at least I'll be surprised if it doesn't..

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    i rehearsed again with mine last night and it sounded really good in front of a clean amp. I have another rehearsal tonight where it will run in 4CM.

Scenes are such a great idea, MUCH easier than having a million presets

Well, briefly plugged in the FX8 for the first time tonight..

Initial thoughts - absolutely mind blowing...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Only absolutely mind blowing, now let's see, I calculate that at 10 days before classifieds.
    Really though, in the words of JohnTravolta's cronies, well-a well-a well-a huh, tell me more, tell me more.......
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    @Waz
    I said I'd be surprised if you didn't end up keeping it. Have you updated to Firmware 3.0?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    At the risk of going against the majority of fractal users I'm still not convinced of the need for scenes rather using presets.   I can see on the amp modelling units that using scenes can avoid the lag when switching created by changing the amp type and settings but the fx8 doesn't appear to have that problem.    
    I have mine set up with a bank of presets for the amp and band I'm using it with.    One preset wouldn't be enough so I don't want to have to remember which preset and then which scene I want and the suggestions to use a preset per song just sounds like a nightmare for balancing levels and changing setlists.    Perhaps I'm missing something?
  • I am intrigued by the FX8. The one sticking point is the size.
    It seems massive compared to my m9 and it only offers 2 extra presets. 

Is it that much better than the old line 6 m series sounds?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    meltedbuzzbox;943297" said:
    I am intrigued by the FX8. The one sticking point is the size.It seems massive compared to my m9 and it only offers 2 extra presets. 

Is it that much better than the old line 6 m series sounds?
    Different league mate...
  • @welshboyo but is it really?

I know the drive sounds aren't exactly hard to beat but the delays and the filters etc were pretty vast and unique in some instances. 

what makes it so much better? 
    Quality of the FX mate, the way it interfaces in 4CM, the unity levels, lack of noise, workflow, amount of presets, scenes (OK, M could do similar), on board relays for amp switching, firmware updates, build quality..

Do you want me to carry on?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    @welshboyo but is it really?

I know the drive sounds aren't exactly hard to beat but the delays and the filters etc were pretty vast and unique in some instances. 

what makes it so much better? 
    Scenes, XY, Relays, audio quality, the quality of the reverb, the quality of the pitch effects and the drives are on a completely different level.
    And the looper.
    And the 4 cable implementation
    And humbuster.

But also the implementation- it is the effects unit I always wanted but no-one made- they have thought of everything a guitarist needs to integrate a multi effects unit with a tube amp.
    It is stellar.
  • I will have to hear one I guess A/B
    I know the  m series is seen as cheap tat now but it still does hang with the big boys when you have it on the same board with the other stuff. The delays are better than many high end delay units etc

can't say I have ever nooticed level issues or noise. Workflow is simplistic etc
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    I will have to hear one I guess A/B
    I know the  m series is seen as cheap tat now but it still does hang with the big boys when you have it on the same board with the other stuff. The delays are better than many high end delay units etc

can't say I have ever nooticed level issues or noise. Workflow is simplistic etc
    It depends on your needs, I guess.
    None of the M series do what I need them to.
    The FX8 does everything I need.
    In all fairness the M13 I had was a great little unit, hummed though in 4CM and I had to run a hum eliminator to get rid of it, also had to switch amp channels via midi which meant buying one of those amp gizmo things.

Sounded good I admit but the FX8 does it all better and more in my eyes.
  • definitely does depend on what you want. 
    I would love a multi that did it all as lugging a pedal train pro can be tedious. 

but I guess I am trying to gauge whats legit and whats hype etc. 
    When we all pay big money for something we are bound to defend it and insist its awesome etc.