Fractal FX8 users question

What's Hot

Comments

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Another very satisfied FX8 owner here & thoroughly recommend it.

Although I could probably cover most of our band's set list with 2 or 3 presets and the 8 scenes within. I went a bit overboard when I got mine and set it up for 1 preset per song.

This means I have up to 8 different tones for each song. Eventually I'll pare it back as many presets could be combined, but with 128 presets to play with, why not?

Using the FX edit software I can reshuffle my presets before the gig to match the set list and then just scroll onto the next one after we've played each song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Thanks guys - I do have a crybaby mini, and keeping the EP wouldn't be a major bind. Good food for thought...
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    I have kept my own wah and have a Fractal EV-1 which saves me a block. I know Welshboyo did the same
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I'm a huge fan. Never got on with any multi fx before but the effects are incredible (including the drives) and I've pretty much got rid of all my other pedals. With the FX edit it's really easy to program (something I hate) and you'll be able to cover all of your requirements with x/y, scenes and a handful of presets. The wah point is a good one and the expression pedal is massive, so I'm considering a Dunlop mini in front of the FX8 at some point.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    yep, I've got a Wah, a Booster (for my Strat) and a Tuner off board.

It all fits easily on a PT2 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    welshboyo said:
    yep, I've got a Wah, a Booster (for my Strat) and a Tuner off board.

It all fits easily on a PT2 
    I'm using an analog wah as well.
    I was thinking about keeping my KOT and EP Booster on the board and having the following signal path using 4CM:

Analogue Wah > FX8 Compressor > FX8 Rotary or Flanger > FX8 Drives > Out to Ep Booster and KOT > Amp > Rest of FX8 effects in the loop. Has anyone done this or similar? I'm in two minds. Not sure it is worth the bother as I'm really happy with the FX drive sounds, and I'd rather not bother with 4CM if not necessary.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I might adapt but for me, having to remember which x/y and scene I want within which preset is too much to think about so I just use presets on mine.  I get the switching will be quicker with scenes but I'd say it's very fast and works for me.     

If you use fx-edit you can save blocks to have the equivalent of global blocks but I agree it would be handy to have them and a real shame fractal said they have no intention of adding them - hopefully that changes.    
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    John_P said:
    If you use fx-edit you can save blocks to have the equivalent of global blocks
    ..but after you set them up, they're not linked in any way, right?  If you tweak one at the gig, what's the workflow like for quickly saving and copying the new block settings to the other patches? 

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    so my FX8 landed today - holy shit this thing is clever.

The routing of effects in 4CM is so easy, and the fact that you can have a different routing per preset is amazing.

The scenes are such a great idea too, it's instantly simplified my function band rig by 1000%.

Oh and it sounds very good too :D

Moltisanti;930691" said:
    so my FX8 landed today - holy shit this thing is clever.

The routing of effects in 4CM is so easy, and the fact that you can have a different routing per preset is amazing.

The scenes are such a great idea too, it's instantly simplified my function band rig by 1000%.

Oh and it sounds very good too :D
    Great innit!!

And FW 3.0 is just around the corner which apparently has loads of new features.
    very simple rig, but VERY powerful :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9571
    Where can you buy the FX8 from ????

I can't seem to find it in the UK...
  • Where can you buy the FX8 from ????

I can't seem to find it in the UK...
    You can't. You order them from G66.eu in Germany.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    If I've already got the axe fx ii and the mfc101 is there any reason id want to buy this rather than just using the axe with my fender hot rod deluxe?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9571
    I'm very interested in the FX8... Think it would work well into the Rambler, Lazy J and Matchless...
    DefaultM;939118" said:
    If I've already got the axe fx ii and the mfc101 is there any reason id want to buy this rather than just using the axe with my fender hot rod deluxe?
    Don't think so as it is basically the fx blocks from the axe fx. There is some talk of it being quieter on 4cm but even that seems a bit unclear. Great unit, but if you have the axe and the foot switch I think you've got all it can do already.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    Thank fuck for that.
    New FW beta just been released, loads of new features including new foot switch assignment capabilities.

The best just got better...
    shit got rehearsals tues and weds - when to update! :)

the new footswitch stuff sounds v cool