Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Films ruined by idiotic holes in the plot

What's Hot

Comments

• Gassage said:
    And, Invictus- any fule knows that South African loose forwards are not 5'10" and 13 stone- Frankie Pienaar was 6'3" and18 stone.
    I would counter that by saying that although the fucked up the casting of Pienaar, at least they cast an actual black man to play Mandela rather than just blacking up De Niro.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31088
    edited October 2015
    Gassage said:
    And, Invictus- any fule knows that South African loose forwards are not 5'10" and 13 stone- Frankie Pienaar was 6'3" and18 stone.
    I would counter that by saying that although the fucked up the casting of Pienaar, at least they cast an actual black man to play Mandela rather than just blacking up De Niro.
    Morgan Freeman is the only man to be President of 3 countries and serve 5 terms of US Presidential Office. Fact.

He was even God in Bruce Almighty, which pissed Gilmour off hugely.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12030
    edited October 2015
    ICBM;813054" said:
    [quote=RaymondLin]
    The point is the strength, not the dust. The reason they had to leave on the MAV is because it was going to tip due to the storm. It is widely acknowledged that the storm of that magnitude is not possible. Practically every review of the movie says that, even the writer Andy Weir admits that.
    Well, since I haven't seen it I'll have to accept that, but that's not what you said originally...

"There is no atmosphere on Mars, alas, there will be no storm."

Which is not true. There are both an atmosphere and storms.
    Which I have subsequent accepted and corrected with "1%"?
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Limitless.

SPOILERS:
    The guy is supposed to be a genius. So he starts playing the stock market and says "armed with Vern's last $800, I made $4,000 in a day. It was too slow. Next day: $7,500. Still too slow. I needed more capital...So the next thing he does is borrow $100k off a moody loan shark which leads to all sorts of trouble.

WHY DID HE DO THAT?! He quintupled his money the first day and nearly doubled it the second (or possibly better if he's talking about just profit rather than totals). If we are conservative and say he will, on average, double his money everyday, then he will reach $100k on his own in under a week. The genius couldn't wait a bloody week?

Completely ridiculous.
    All practice and no theory
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The Walking Dead, live in the trees armed with long sticks, zombie problem solved :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    underdog said:
    The Walking Dead, live in the trees armed with long sticks, zombie problem solved :D
    Or, indeed, be alone on a boat.

We've come full circle!
    All practice and no theory
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    dafuzz;813089" said:
    underdog said:

Or, indeed, be alone on a boat.

We've come full circle!
    I love the show but there's so many plot holes and simple solutions.
    Desperate Housewives....how did one of the Scarvo twins aquire a mole during the 5 year leap?

Huh?

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    90% of films have some plot holes - writers of films are rarely aware enough about the subject matter to be accurate, or accurate is boring, so a re-write happens... also, because logical patterns of behaviour don't lead to dramatic disasters that often...

Imagine a slasher film if after the first bump in the night down stairs the victim picked up their mobile phone - quietly charging on the night stand next to the bed and called the police... and hey, they're set in America where they have guns. So the next scene was a young woman on the phone, getting a great alibi from the police, in her bedroom faces the door, so when the baddie bursts through with a knife he loses this particular game of knifey-gunny (from 15' to 20' knives aren't amazing at slashing, but guns do a great job of shoving copper through people at that distance)... more realistic than the 55kg woman hearing what she assumed to be a burglar (during a well publicised murder spree on women fitting her demographic) walking past her landline phone and her mobile, past her baseball bat, past the cupboard where she keeps a gun and wandering downstairs in the dark and yelling out "hello, is anyone there, please don't rape me, murder me and wear my skin till it dries out before moving to the next victim"

Some plots are interesting but the stuff in them is boring - I've seen maybe one film with semi-accurate stuff about hacking and it was quite boring, but "Hackers" is fun.

There was the TV show Silk written by a former QC and yet virtually nothing made sense from either the POV of the law OR running a law firm. A friend and I used to wait with baited breath for each week to seek what inanity they put in this time... was great fun. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I don't believe Odd Job's bowler hat could be aerodynamically efficient enough to be used as a long range weapon.
    I don't think Jaws' maxillary muscles would've been strong enough to bite through steel cable even if his teeth were made of stainless steel. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    I don't believe Odd Job's bowler hat could be aerodynamically efficient enough to be used as a long range weapon.
    I don't think Jaws' maxillary muscles would've been strong enough to bite through steel cable even if his teeth were made of stainless steel. 
    And, Thunderball- how could a man swim for 20 mins using only 2 soda siphon cannisers as air?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24618
    @Miranda Oh don't get me started on depictions of computers in fillums.  Either they are stupidly over-simplified, e.g. logging into the CIA's criminal database gives Prestel-type graphics at a rate only a 300 baud modem could manage or they are stupidly advanced e.g. holographic 3D projections (think CSI type progs).  In all cases, every computer makes stupid 'beep', 'whoosh' and 'didlididli' noises.

Nobody in films is ever seen using Windows 7, or suchlike.  Once again, that's probably down to money and product placement.

p.s. - I'm pretty sure guns don't shoot copper bullets by the way.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10521
    What was that film where the tall fellow hacked into an alien network and gave their fighters a computer virus so their force shields didn't work ? 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • danodano Frets: 1610
    Danny1969;813202" said:
    What was that film where the tall fellow hacked into an alien network and gave their fighters a computer virus so their force shields didn't work ? 
    Independence Day.

It's lucky that the advanced alien race can travel a mathematically mind bending distance and it turns out their giant spaceship runs on windows 95.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10521
    dano said:
    Danny1969;813202" said:
    Independence Day.

It's lucky that the advanced alien race can travel a mathematically mind bending distance and it turns out their giant spaceship runs on windows 95.
    Yes, and also it was a bit of luck they had invented and used the same RJ45 network leads and sockets we do
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16049
    Debbie Does Dallas has LOTS of holes in the plot
    tae be or not tae be
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Forrest Gump: If you turn the box upside down you can see what chocolates you are gonna get.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Sound of Music:
    Climb Every Mountain is an unrealistic Bucket List.

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Ocean's twelve - the second half of the film is irrelevant because they'd already switched the faberge egg.
    Use Your Brian
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Miranda Oh don't get me started on depictions of computers in fillums.  Either they are stupidly over-simplified, e.g. logging into the CIA's criminal database gives Prestel-type graphics at a rate only a 300 baud modem could manage or they are stupidly advanced e.g. holographic 3D projections (think CSI type progs).  In all cases, every computer makes stupid 'beep', 'whoosh' and 'didlididli' noises.

Nobody in films is ever seen using Windows 7, or suchlike.  Once again, that's probably down to money and product placement.

p.s. - I'm pretty sure guns don't shoot copper bullets by the way.
    P.p.s. bullets are a combination of lead and copper ... the amount of copper to lead and specific design determine the use case for the bullet... problem with just lead is its very squishy limiting penetration ... copper is harder but not very heavy. Bullet is too heavy and it requires more energy to go fast... faster is better (speed being squared you get proportionally more energy than making it heavier, and you can only make a bullet so heavy if putting it in a handheld gun). 

The really weird thing about computers in films is that one of the examples of the worst depictions of computers in films is infinitely more accurate than people think... it's just that it's so obscure that most geeks aren't aware of it - the Unix based OS in Jurassic Park, is rather accurately based on an obscure OS that no-one has heard of.