Anyone bought Omnisphere 2 yet?

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    thanks fellas..@fretwired, wheres that comp then?

hey, why don't I get off my arse and look eh?? lol

cheers

J
    on the track - one of the challenges in it, not a big one, but I cocked up on the first master, is that the low pad in the end section is so friggin massive, it clipped like hell, even though the level was actually quite low. Some of the Omni patches are very big sonically
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Snap said:

cheers

J
    on the track - one of the challenges in it, not a big one, but I cocked up on the first master, is that the low pad in the end section is so friggin massive, it clipped like hell, even though the level was actually quite low. Some of the Omni patches are very big sonically
    the prob with some huge sounding synth sounds is that they chew up so much space in the freq spectrum, that there's no room for anything else...
    play every note as if it were your first
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:

cheers

J
    the prob with some huge sounding synth sounds is that they chew up so much space in the freq spectrum, that there's no room for anything else...
    A slightly over-driven guitar and an ebow .... Robert Fripp style.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:

cheers

J
    A slightly over-driven guitar and an ebow .... Robert Fripp style.
    maybe just about.. lol..
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:

cheers

J
    Very true mate. Creeps upon you too. Also, take a lot of CPU as well, certainly when in MIDI form, not audio.

Hoping to do some work on another track this weekend, mor guitar orientated, but using my new best friend as well. Thinking NIN circa The Fragile era (possibly the greatest album ever???)
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:
    me too mate, me too.

Have you looked at some of the NI stuff? Rise and Hit looks good.

I've been getting to grips with Action Strings, that's good too.

I have a great many NI instruments.. rise and hit is one of them..

and I've recently got Symph Series Brass Collection.. I won't be getting their new strings though [although it looks fabulous] cos I have CS2 [which is also fabulous]

I splurged in the current NI sale, the 50% off stuff. I got Rise & Hit and Drumlab. I was hugely tempted with the Brass, but tbh I need to rein the spending in, not the best time of year to be going on personal spending sprees.

I do need a good brass plugin though......lmao
    Snap said:
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:
    me too mate, me too.

Have you looked at some of the NI stuff? Rise and Hit looks good.

I've been getting to grips with Action Strings, that's good too.

I have a great many NI instruments.. rise and hit is one of them..

and I've recently got Symph Series Brass Collection.. I won't be getting their new strings though [although it looks fabulous] cos I have CS2 [which is also fabulous]

I splurged in the current NI sale, the 50% off stuff. I got Rise & Hit and Drumlab. I was hugely tempted with the Brass, but tbh I need to rein the spending in, not the best time of year to be going on personal spending sprees.

I do need a good brass plugin though......lmao

I've just fniished my first trailer with Sympn Brass..

it sounds amazing...

Stop! I don't need to hear this........

must.....resist.........

thing is, I know I'd use it, cos many a time, particularly now, I think "I need a good brass line here", as in the frankly awesome brass in the Inception soundtrack.

note though that Symph Brass is specifically orchestral / cinematic..

if I were working on a funk or rock track with brass I'm not quite so sure how well it'd fair..

that said.. I have the Symph Brass Collection.. so I have solo instruments as well as full ensembles by section.. so in a rock / funk song, maybe using solo trumpet and trombone [with 2 parts each] plus tenor sax from Komplete may do the trick.. not tried it yet.. but when I start on my next solo album I certainly will.. because in addition to a full orchestra, there are non-orch brass parts too [one song in particular is kinda Latin-Metal]

I've watched all the demo stuff about symph brass, and it is right up my street, BUT I ain't got a couple of hundred quid spare to blow on me right now. Its all about xmas, so that one will have to wait.

Theres a lot of good orchestral stuff in Rapture Pro, a synth i have, but it doesn't have such elaborate articulations of course. For the time being, that will have to do. Rapture sounds the dog's, but the NI stuff is so much more inventive, and easier to use. The orchestral patches in Rapture are surprisingly epxressive to be fair, but need a neck of a lot more playing/scoring etc to get a proper orchestra feel.

Session Horns in Komplete is good for pop type stuff. TBH I can't stand poppy brass, but thats a personal taste thing.
    Snap said:
    I've watched all the demo stuff about symph brass, and it is right up my street, BUT I ain't got a couple of hundred quid spare to blow on me right now. Its all about xmas, so that one will have to wait.

Theres a lot of good orchestral stuff in Rapture Pro, a synth i have, but it doesn't have such elaborate articulations of course. For the time being, that will have to do. Rapture sounds the dog's, but the NI stuff is so much more inventive, and easier to use. The orchestral patches in Rapture are surprisingly epxressive to be fair, but need a neck of a lot more playing/scoring etc to get a proper orchestra feel.

Session Horns in Komplete is good for pop type stuff. TBH I can't stand poppy brass, but thats a personal taste thing.
    I was fortunate enough as a Komplete 9 owner to qualify for a nice fat discount
    hats off to NI in this respect..

also.. although I adore CS2… NI Symph Strings looks the nuts too..
    apparently you can't have too many great strings AU's
    Yeah, I've got Komp 9 too, but its still aobut 250. THe crossgrade prices are a real bonus, but their gear ain't cheap in the first place. Still, i guess you have to pay for industry leading quality.

Snap said:
    Yeah, I've got Komp 9 too, but its still aobut 250. THe crossgrade prices are a real bonus, but their gear ain't cheap in the first place. Still, i guess you have to pay for industry leading quality.

pretty much all of the higher end instrument AU's are big bux

it's a very costly area of music to get into

that said.. guitaring can be too... lmao

That's the thing Clarky - a top of the end virtual instrument like NI do is a pittance compared to a similarly top end geet.

edited December 2015

and then there's a nice string section. LASS: $1399 [when there's no sale on]

I don't have LASS.. doubt I'll ever get it.. that said.. to build even a basic collection of trailer / movie  / TV quality instuments, you'll have to part with the best part of £1,000 to £1,500.. and then of course you start adding and improving it..

then you find that your Mac can't cope anymore.. regular recordings / songs are not a prob.. but this stuff is hardcore.. so.. RAM upgrades are needed.. and now I'm about to swap out my hard drive for a 1T SSD.. so the costs just keep mounting up...

and now I've got my eye on NI Symph Strings to augment CS2

lmao, and ouch.

Yes, a bit familiar with LASS. I was reading some interview with a chap called Ade Fenton (he's done a piece on musicradar, me and my studio etc) - he does a few soundtracks as well as DJ'ing, producing and his own stuff/collaborations. He was talking about how he'd just bought it and how great it was, but he needed to learn how to use it properly.

I can imagine how cost mount up though, I'm bad enough, and just a dabbler.

But think, how much have you spent on guitars, FX, amps etc etc?? At least when you buy a virtual instrument, you get a whole new world, rather than when you spend a few grand on your (e.g.) custom shop Strat, and you get something that plays and feels marginally better than your US standard!

Hardware - I've got quite a hefty PC. Multiple core i7, 32gb RAM and its just starting to act up a little bit with O2. Theres also a few patches in Razor that give it a hard time too. Sighs, its less than a year old too.
    @Snap what DAW do you use?
    Sonar Platinum.I've used incarnations of Cakewalk since about 1996. This latest version is very very good.

I use Logic Pro X. it has a feature called "freeze". If I start getting latency / audio degradation due to the sheer number of instruments asking too much of the Mac's resources, I can 'freeze' tracks. This essentially creates an audio track and knocks out the intrument plug-in to minimise the CPU / RAM hit.. it's not permanent, so when you "unfreeze" the plugin reactivates.. I don't know if Sonar has a comparable feature but it'd be worth finding out..

given the size of the instrumentation in the trailers, I'd be totally fkd without this feature.. essentially I start freezing tracks when the audio starts getting squiffy.. and if I need to make some changes to the notes, automation eq, or other fx etc for a single instrument, I'll unfreeze, make the changes and freeze it again..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom