Anyone bought Omnisphere 2 yet?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Good tip, I think it has something like that. Its a real powerhouse of a DAW. A mate of mine has decided to ditch Logic and come back to Sonar as he doesnt thing Logic handles audio as well as Sonar.

Sonar has a neat ownership platform- you either buy it one off, or pay a subscription per month. If you buy outright, you get a year's sub included. Each month they release a patch . These contain bug fixes, but more importantly additional features, plug ins and libraries. One of the things that came out a few patches ago was a feature that allows you to record you midi instrument direct to audio. Not sure how it works, cos I haven't looked!

Theres also this thing called Mix recall - captures the current set up, then you can change stuff but can still revert to the original mix to AB etc. So you could have tons of different mixes in the one project. That's neat. Especially if you've gone over the top adding loads of new tracks, FX etc.

Cos I never do that......!!

Right now I've done a track, with orchestration and I am having the job from hell getting the mix right. Everything is out of kilter, too loud, too quiet, not sitting in the mix right. Its a long laborious process.

Couple that with the fact that I don't really have much of a clue when it comes to mastering (though I am making moves to get better at that)

at least I aint trying to make a living from it. I'd be skint!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Clarky - would appreciate your comments on this:

cheers
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Snap said:

cheers
    I'll scope this when I'm in the studio a little later..
    play every note as if it were your first

talking of the DAW side of things... something occured to me recently... when I get a new instrument I head for youtube to see if there are any good tutorials etc [usually there are.. some are really good too]..

when I was looking around for tutorials on CS2, Symph Brass, and a reminder for Olympus Choir what struck me was how many are using Cubase... and these guys are all orchestral, hybrid-orchestral movie score / trailer score composer types... now I'm wondering why...

my pal who moved from Sonar to Logic and then back, said he found Logic just couldn't cope well with audio rendering. He said that he was getting timing issues and drop outs when he had multiple midi tracks going on, and was having to use a tool in Lgic to correct it. Something about Logic relying on AUs, whereas Cubase relies on VSTs. Cubase is prett similar to Sonar in that.

ahh interesting... personally I've never encountered that.. certainly not when bouncing down..

things can get a bit freaky in real-time if I'm running BFD2 or BFD3, 5 instances of CS2, 5 instances of Symph Brass, Komplete 9 Orch percussion, 6 instances of Olympus Choir, Action Strikes, Rise & Hit, 2 EXS24 boom sample libraries I made myself, several instances each of Onmisphere / Massive / Absynth and some other synths etc.. plus several reamped guitar parts... with a few zillion fx and Ozone on the master bus etc...

but then.. I guess "a bit freaky at times" is to be expected.. lmao

so as you can imagine, a reasonably powerful computer and track freezing gets kinda important.. lol..

nah, I think you are being over simplistic, you need to start adding stuff in mate, get some more layering in, try using some FX and that....

I have never heard of anyone having trouble with Logic tbh.
    Snap said:
    nah, I think you are being over simplistic, you need to start adding stuff in mate, get some more layering in, try using some FX and that....

I have never heard of anyone having trouble with Logic tbh.

in my case, the3 prob is most likely not logic... but the total nob that's driving it... lmao

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    anyone got a feel for whether Miroslav Philharmonik 2 is a credible alternative to the current major orchestral libraries?
    How much is it?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    Snap said:
    How much is it?
    upgrade is 200 Euro/$

crossgrade is 300

otherwise 400

I assume normal discounts and jampoints work on that too
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:

cheers
    I'll scope this when I'm in the studio a little later..
    lovely piece…. I really like the way it builds..
    some really nice themes and chord changes too
    in trailer terms I think it'd be "ascendent" style
    cheers @Clarky

Rise & Hit = the dog's nads. Makes all the difference, even when used a little.

Snap said:
    cheers @Clarky

Rise & Hit = the dog's nads. Makes all the difference, even when used a little.

rise and hit has one flaw... you can only set it up for one type of riser / hit at a time.. however, it's likely that your piece will require several types of them..

solution: create a rise and / or hit for a given moment, then bounce it and place the audio [wav / aiff] where you need it in the peice.. if you need a different riser at a different point in the piece, create it in Rise & Hit and bounce it again. etc etc..

also, having created several risers and hits, and bounced them, I stash them in a folder for future use.

in Logic, there is a sampler instrument called the EXS24.. I've used this to create an instrument that'll trigger thmy lil' collection of riser / hit samples..

I'm guessing that you don't have the EXS24 because you don't have Logic...

however, you do have Kontakt.. which is a sampler so you can create an instrument with this.. or maybe an equivalent instrument that come with your DAW..

lil' tip.. don't make the sample play back "1-shot".. so that you can use the length of the MIDI note to determine when the sample will stop playing.. so you'll then be able to choose between playing the entire samle [via a long note], or clipping it short..

cheers mate. Yes, I'd done a similar thing with it, though I'd ended up creating a out 5 midi tracks for all the rise/hits, then played it through kontakt. There is a sampler instrument in Sonar - Dropzone, very neat it is too. You can build multis in it, like Kontakt I suppose.

Using the audio would be much more economical, and possibly easier (i/m much more used to working in audio than midi)

I was debating with getting kinetic metal as well....!

Snap said:
    cheers mate. Yes, I'd done a similar thing with it, though I'd ended up creating a out 5 midi tracks for all the rise/hits, then played it through kontakt. There is a sampler instrument in Sonar - Dropzone, very neat it is too. You can build multis in it, like Kontakt I suppose.

Using the audio would be much more economical, and possibly easier (i/m much more used to working in audio than midi)

I was debating with getting kinetic metal as well....!

never tried Kinetic Metal..

the beauty of gradually building up your own library and playing back via a sampler is that you'll end up with loads of stuff you can audition within the piece at the touch of a key..
    2 instances of the sampler now.. one for risers and another for hits and booms
    some of these NI instruments, although very cool, can be seriously resource heavy..
    given that this thread has been deviating from Omni2 I figured it may be worth starting a new thread that's dedicated to creating music that is not guitar centric..
    could be fun for those that are into something a little different..