Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The singing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sambostar said:
    Drew_fx said:

And @Sambostar - your speaking voice has very little to do with your singing voice. They're just not the same thing.
    It does if you are as talentless as I am!  The two are essential one thing.  lol.
    And therein lies the problem. Technique ;)

I have a fairly deep voice myself, but I sound really different when I sing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2015
    Drew_fx said:

I have a fairly deep voice myself, but I sound really different when I sing.

See, knew it, I could tell a mile off.  Ha Ha.  I am a genius.  I think I might get some lessons next year just for the crack of it to broaden my horizons. Only problem is, when I work, it's priced by the job and any extra hours of meaningless ranting on their part I absorb into my costs and end up working into the dark hours on other jobs to catch up, I suppose it's OK though as I gain a good relationship and free beer and things they don't want anymore, rather than put them on ebay. 

I have the feeling though, that a vocal coach will be like a shrink, with a strictly time is money attitude and keep his stopwatch running whilst I express opinions like the one above and they probably won't accept free beer or old crap that I might be clearing out from the shed.  I will endeavour to find one that does though.

Remember though, keep it above 96Hz otherwise you will run dry.  Next time I go to the local grocers and see the teenage chick I'm gonna put on a falsetto, see where it gets me eh!

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I hit a G#4 this week. Definitely feel I'm getting better. Still not where I want to be, but I've come a long way since I first started.

Keep going Sam - tis a marathon, not a sprint.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    E5 is the top of my range currently (F5 in falsetto)
    Sounds nasty up there though

Here is one of my harder ones (excuse the bouncy pop rock I was in a funny mood)

Goes from E3 to A4 on the Verse using different bits of my voice. Its a struggle to get the transitions

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    One of my main issues that other people do so much better with my songs
    Here is a track called Sufferance
    Version 1 sang by me
    Version 2 sang by old lead Singer Paul McCormick

edited November 2015

@Cabicular, first off thanks for posting your weaknesses, as I think that is in the spirit of the thread and I view you as one of the ones who can sing. lol.

For what it's worth I prefer your voice to your singers, but it remains pretty much the same throughout tonally.  What are you struggling with?  The fact that you voice sounds purer and more naïve, trying too hard etc.?  That is potentially a good thing.  I reckon you got more potential to be honest.  Have you tried singing in different areas, like your throat, less nose, more nose resonance etc as well as controlling and varying your volume?

I'm no help at all, but I was trying to sing like Springsteen on Racing in the Streets, whilst struggling to sing in E3 which is near the top of my range and it came out like a kitten.  Much easier to get his gruff emotional groans in A2, but then of course it sounds too low.  So what I did is close my mouth, not move my lip at all and sing at the back of my throat/back of the roof of my mouth and even at the top of my range and struggling, it still sounds meaningful and emotional.  That is just one thing I learnt by myself, there must be hundred of combinations of changing your tone.

Singing relatively slow melodies over single chords is hard innit.  As it stands with your tone, I would probably switch off after a few songs, but I reckon you have potential to be genius.  I'd just spend a few days on the toilet experimenting with tones and maybe slurring behind the beat a bit to make it more human and also practicing quick up and down changes with different sounds, that first song is hard man.  I had to do months of that just to get to this stage and yes I am still fucking absolutely god damit awful.

BTW, does it get even more choppy if you sing in your accent?  I liked the 'Doesn't' at the start of the first track when you let the mask slip a bit.  It all sounds like it's coming from the front of your mouth which is good, but makes it sound a bit '80's Indie and naive.  Is that what you mean?  It doesn't have to all be full pelt and perfectly sung. Have you ever sat down with yourself and tried to imitate or analyse the noises others make?

You must have a similar range to Jimmy Barnes then.  I think he kind of reverberates his throat.  Yours sounds too much from the front and properly sung so it sounds too pure and the same.

Look at me criticising yous.  Still, class that as a 'Punters' view.

BTW.  How are you with the ladies?

edited November 2015

Also, I don't want to tell you how not to sing because I don't know (Obviously), but your voice is the opposite of mine, yours is all out and sung properly, where as mine is down my throat and I'm actually trying to achieve what you obviously take for granted.  It's almost like we are trying to achieve opposite things.

When you close your throat up, I suppose the worst is that Pee Wee Herman noise that comes out, but I guess your shouldn't try that as it's bad.  I have to concentrate on chest and head a lot because I really can't hit many notes with my chest voice, but this has shown me the variation.  When I hit a note that sounds too pure in the higher register or alternatively, too Pee Wee Herman, I concentrate on it to try and get it to match my other notes in tone but without closing or tensing up my throat.  I would experiment with your mouth closed and with your nose and throat resonance and stuff and see what varied tones you can get.

However you do it, whether you experiment with your nose, throat, chest and head resonance or just sit down and try to mimic other people's spoken voices you should be able to get some variation which will result in sounding like there is more emotion coming through.  You can make it sound a hell of a lot more manly, emotional, richer and deeper or gruff but without actually going deeper.  You just got to mix it up a bit.  At present it's sung very well but all sounds like it's sung from the same spot.  Maybe, like me reading words from a songsheet, that is because you are concentrating so hard to mask your accent you don't think about it.

Hopefully Drew can give you some proper advice.

• SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Best thread ever!
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • Just having a browse through the Complete Vocal Institute now. I'd never heard of it before. Interesting!
    Just having a browse through the Complete Vocal Institute now. I'd never heard of it before. Interesting!
    Love the Male 'Rattle' and 'Grunt'
    edited November 2015

Ha Ha.  I'II done it again chaps, another monstrositie de l'amateur.

I have discovered that I need to open my mouth when singing higher notes and relax and force more air through, although I am still struggling with finding a rich tone and rhythm, whilst reading lyrics to a song I learnt half an hour ago.  I don't actually like Peral Jam that much, but I may check out some of their newer stuff as I may be able to ruin it quite effectively.  I suppose the only thing I can do is forced vibrato.  Yep, that is about it for now.

https://soundcloud.com/user360616451/pooflow

• Sambostar said:
    Just having a browse through the Complete Vocal Institute now. I'd never heard of it before. Interesting!
    Love the Male 'Rattle' and 'Grunt'

Yeah. I listened to all those examples.

Oh bollocks why can't I sing, it's so fucking depressing. I don't much like anyone else's voices either (YouTube) warriors, but I am like the lowest denominator.  Everyone and his dog can sing reasonably well.  I can't even get above A4 in Falsetto.  Fed up with these low key mumblings, I wish I could just belt something out.

Has anyone else got any basic rough cut singing to post?  I'm sick of listening to my own voice.

Sambostar said:

Oh bollocks why can't I sing, it's so fucking depressing. I don't much like anyone else's voices either (YouTube) warriors, but I am like the lowest denominator.  Everyone and his dog can sing reasonably well.  I can't even get above A4 in Falsetto.  Fed up with these low key mumblings, I wish I could just belt something out.

Has anyone else got any basic rough cut singing to post?  I'm sick of listening to my own voice.

Get exploring dude!

I too am pretty depressed about my voice right now, so it's not just you!
    Some Baritone Carly Rae Jepson just for shits n giggle 
    Surprisingly hard song to sing. lots of intervals

edited November 2015

Ha Ha. For one.  You know when you go up notes like 'Call me'  and 'Ba - by' on that and you tense up a bit and 3 times out of 10, trying to get some grunt, it sometimes comes out as 2% Pee Wee Herman as your throat tenses and closes up?  And it's always the first phrase going up that does it, yet when you are more relaxed and repeat it you don't?

I do that 76% when I go up in pitch..  But as the same for you, it's just about control, or not knowing the song 3000%.

I've been working on the notes and parts I don't like (99.9%) and treating them like guitar parts and just practicing them like that, trying to get different tones and make it more fluid in tone, maybe singing the notes, maybe just two notes and then trying different things.  Although it's much more like vocal exercises than singing, it really helps me to try and find different sounds and relax without straining and it's no different to trying to get the vibrato and feel right on a guitar passage or something really I guess.  Well that's what I've been doing tonight.  I don't talk a lot, so I have vast distances to travel before I even get to where you are.

Your voice just pops. But it's opened my eyes a bit practicing sometimes just two note changes to get different sounds and relax.  For example that PooFlow above was awful, but now I can sing the two note start to each line of the verse slightly better with actual tone with projection without the bipolar croak speak.  Like guitar though you have to repeat it a lot otherwise you fall back on bad habits.

For two though, you got the pitch and projection wired but it sounds a bit like you are singing with too much nose in that one, like you got a slight cold or histamine reaction to a food intolerance and that grating brightness may be the tone overall that is troubling you. 

Can you put more on your chest or further back?  Although that said it disappears from time to time and gets less so throughout and I think the presence and reverb actually amplifies it a bit to your detriment.  However, the bloke Drew advised me to  just now says it's the not the nose at all that makes that bright, slightly grating sound, it's the larynx tensing up and the best fix is a yawn to loosen it up and singing through that yawn in that deeper, more open space and feeling the laryngeal depth and singing through a more open throat to make it sound more natural, richer and more transparent.  I know not if any of this is true or not, although I presume so.

You need to seek out vocal coaching a bit harder, it would be wasted on me, but I reckon you could develop a much darker, open and richer and fucking ace voice and a head start to loads of techniques.

Probably wasn't a good example as you were probably concentrating in the melody.  You need to feel your laryngeal depth.

Don't let anyone else feel it though, that's not good, I mean, unless you enjoy it, I mean each to their own and that.

But, for example, you go to the dentist and he invites in all his male colleagues and explains that he is going to feel your laryngeal depth, don't try to question him, just run, run as fast as you can.

It started off okay I got more tense as it went on
    edited November 2015

Have you tried singing and yawning though, it kind of worked for me...ish.  there are two bits of tension, the pee wee herman artificial bits, which you can easily reach but may have the wrong technique for to make the grunt/growl and the generally nasal sound which is tense or constricted larynx apparently which is more evident when you sing lower, in which singing whilst yawning helps open it up...apparently.  BTW, I have no idea what I am talking about, obviously.

I was searching for male singers who have a massive oversize lujmpy Adams apple like I do and I found one, the bloke out of Nickleback and strangely, I can sing all their songs, which isn't hard, when I am pissed (I don't own any though).  Nickleback eh, how more depressing can you get. Nickleback..Jeez.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited November 2015
    Cabicular said:
    Some Baritone Carly Rae Jepson just for shits n giggle 
    Surprisingly hard song to sing. lots of intervals

Your post made me try singing that song and it sounded like a sexual assault in progress. "WHERED YOU THINK YOURE GOING BABY"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I changed it to Hey I just met you And you look crazy So here's my number ...