Which drummers 'serve the music'?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6209
edited November 2015 in Music
I picked up the new Beatles CD+DVD set called '1' at the weekend and whilst watching I realised just how good a drummer Ringo was for the music that they were playing. His drums 'served' the songs so well. He didn't play the 'hey look at me role' but just laid down the perfect beat to compliment the songs.  I think this is probably a rare thing nowadays.  

Any other players come to mind?
I'll add Levon Helm to the mix too.
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2015
    Max Weinberg (Sprinsteen and the E-Street Band).

On the money all the time, never overly flashy but rock solid and never takes his eyes of Bruce or misses a cue.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve Gadd, Steve Ferrone, Jim Keltner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited November 2015
    Dave Grohl
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Undisputed king of 'as much as required and no more' drumming is of course Phil Rudd with AC/DC.

When I played drums live I had 'WWPRD?' (What Would Phil Rudd Do?) written on my snare head to remind me not to be a flash bastard.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    IanSavage said:

Undisputed king of 'as much as required and no more' drumming is of course Phil Rudd with AC/DC.

When I played drums live I had 'WWPRD?' (What Would Phil Rudd Do?) written on my snare head to remind me not to be a flash bastard.

Hopefully you didn't organise a hit out on someone?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    I think that most drummers serve the music to be honest. It doesn't really work if they don't. Unless you are playing jazz of course, in which all the rule books go out the window and you don't all play the same song.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited November 2015
    axisus said:
    I think that most drummers serve the music to be honest. It doesn't really work if they don't. Unless you are playing jazz of course, in which all the rule books go out the window and you don't all play the same song.
    Ha ha! But au contriare. 

The best jazz drummers definitely play within themselves and always in the service of the song. 

Let's see: 

Philly Joe Jones
    Elvin Jones
    Jimmy Cobb
    My favourite Tony Williams

Even a fusion drummer like Billy Cobham is so obviously superb and can get flashy, but if listen to what he's doing and it reveals he's the rock everything else is based on. 

That said, in order to back up your argument I humbly submit this as evidence (assuming one can call it jazz). Sincere thanks to Youtube user Dieter Wanke for uploading this gem:

• Josh Freese with APC is a really good example.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Nick Mason maybe?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    Isn't 'Drummer who serves the song' a euphemism for 'Not that good'?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Frank Beard Larry Mullen Jr Mel Gaynor Paul Cook Mike Joyce Rick Buckler

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    Keith Moon. Not a choice that springs immediately to mind perhaps but his playing was a large part of what defined the Who's sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Bernard Purdie has probably served more songs than anyone else.  He was the go-to session guy for everybody for good reason.

Then there are drummers who serve the music so well they pretty much define it, like Tony Allen.
  • Levon Helm is undoubtedly the master at this but yeah, would have to say a Drummer that always adds to the song is Jim Keltner. My favourite in the rock arena is Ian Paice, he can swing, or rock as hard as anyone, amazing technique and feel for a heavy rock drummer.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    Steve Gadd, Ian Paice, Phil Rudd all good choices. I also like Charlie Watts and in certain contexts, someone slightly more busy such as The Meters's Zig Modeliste also serves the song

• John Coghlan, original Status Quo drummist. Nothing too flashy, but definitely has the feel for Quo's music. While his successors were decent enough drummers, none of them have had the groove or feel of Coghlan
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496

John Bonham,generally he not only played the perfect parts to go with the music but the parts were so good they were the music. Even as a teenage kid who knew nothing about drums I could tell he was special. 

I really like the drummer in KOL as well, whatever his name is
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Bill Berry.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028
    Unfashionable, but my favourite drummer is Phil Collins. He underpins any Genesis track on which he played with understated brilliance.

The drumming on Cinema Show is sublime. 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Bill Berry.

great farmer too!