Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Opening band want to borrow "everything" on a 4 band bill

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
edited November 2015 in Live
My band is supporting an electronica act tomorrow night. But we had this email last night.

everyone

Really looking forward to the show on Wednesday - could I please confirm the gear share arrangements?

We need a bass amp, guitar combo and shells - as we were the band opening I was to understand we would be bringing breakables/ snare/cymbals/pedal etc. so we don't end up with 4 bass amps in the room.

Anyone wants to help us out with that I would be greatly appreciated and will be happy to get yall a pint or help with taxi money .

Thanks,

Now I've shared cabs & loaned my amp. But what is it with indie bands? They seem content to plug into anything. I know there the opening band. But my lot feel put on the spot. Nothing has been heard from the other band on the bill, so I dunno if there horrified or after borrowing stuff as well? We are third band on with two before us. But I just feel it's a piss take,
Or am I unreasonable?

Thoughts please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited November 2015
    I always say no to this sort of thing.
    I play a gig I use my own gear, or I make a plan to get some.
    Even if it is in a city I don't live in.
    Evenyone else should do the same, or they shouldn't be playing the gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I think originals line ups like this last band on or the venue generally provides the bass amp.

I'm always happy to share amps (mine or other people's) though as I generally need a clean tone and get other sounds from my pedals-I prefer to use mine but sometimes it's not practical-small venue loads of bands etc.

It's a bit short notice I guess but it's a pleasant enough email and I'd have no issue lending the gear. If you have an issue just say you don't want to.

I've lent gear to people who've asked in advance and on the night. I've asked to borrow gear before hand and had people say no and yes-no hard feelings either way.

I'm sure you know that In a multi line up gig like this it generally helps if there's a bit of gear share not least as the place can get cluttered-it adds to the changeover time too.

I'd probably have expected the promoter to have addressed this in the email sent out when it was all organised though so maybe an oversight on their part?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• I've already said nobody is playing my guitar at the Crimbo do. 
    I don't mind about the amp (to an extent) but not the guitar. 

I think amps are fair game but not guitars/pedals.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I say no.  Buy your own.

(exceptions for emergencies at the last minute if something breaks etc or possibly for friends but that's a different situation).
  • They do say they'll bring breakables and will pay taxi money etc. 
    I really don't know, haven't been in that situation. I stand by what I said earlier but sounds like they're bringing their own guitars. 
    Would be a ballache to have a million amps in the room (we had that once and there was no room to move).
  • It could benefit you as 4 lots of backline would be a nightmare and unless the sound guy is very patient, I would be happier having my amp in the soundcheck.

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    It's a pretty standard setup for multi-band gigs, but at the charity band night I'm playing tomorrow, the organiser emailed all the bands as soon as the line-up was confirmed, asking for volunteers to gear-share. That's what didn't happen in your case
  • In my old originals band I always took my amp, but it was a Laney VC15 so would happily fit anywhere on stage. I was happy for other sot use it as well but few wanted to as it's not a big exciting looking amp. 

Tbh I've found opening bands insisting on using their own kit and bass amps are a pain in the arse.  This lot could've worded the message a bit better (offered to bring their own stuff for sharing if needed), with emphasis on easing logistics & changeover rather than just wanting to borrow everyone else's kit cos it's nicer, but there's probably no malice involved.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Standard at multi-band gigs like this. If you don't want to lend or borrow gear, don't do this type of gig - it's a total pain when everyone insists on bringing a full set-up. The only real issue is if one band brings everything, they tend to feel a bit put-upon if no-one else does. The best is if each band brings something, although since they will soundcheck last and leave first, if there are as many as four bands the opening band might not bring anything.

Do you bring more than one drum kit, or is it only guitarists (and sometimes bassists) who are precious about their own gear? If you insist on all your own stuff then you need to accept someone else using it - unless they're complete idiots then if your gear is any good at all they're not going to break it. Generally when I was doing that sort of circuit I preferred to take most or all of our own gear - because I knew it was good - and no-one ever damaged anything. Although one lot did come close...

The email isn't great, but not really out of order. They seem to understand they bring their own breakables (which is standard) and presumably instruments - I would have no problem drawing the line at sharing any of that stuff. I would definitely want to share the bass amp and any guitar cabs, and just have extra heads or combos if the guitarists don't want to share.

Agreed that the "promoter" should be more pro-active, but what they usually do is just share the contact info among the various bands and expect everyone to get on with it themselves...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited November 2015
    Guitar, bass amp and drum shells is pretty standard really. I don't like when people ask on the night instead of ahead of time though.

Opening band demanding on all their own gear for a 20 minute set would probably create more problems than it solved.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Last gig I put on was on Sunday-multi band line up and a small venue, we just offered everyone to use our gear if they wanted, it makes it easier.

Some brought amps, some didn't, no issues.

I get why someone might not want their guitar being used-I'd have no issue with 95% of people I've been on the same line up as me in countless gigs using my guitar if a string broke/wired went etc but I don't get the preciousness with amps.....how is someone going to break your amp by plugging into it, changing the dials and using it for essentially 40 minutes?

I don't get the preciousness with using your own amp either, sure it's yours and you know it better but most bands I see get 90% of their sounds from pedals anyway. Regardless you should be able to get most half decent amps sounding how you want them to fairly quickly anyway.

I use a £400 Orange Rocker so maybe I can be a bit more blase with my gear (although if it died tomorrow I couldn't replace it instantly) but I've used some high end amps over the years with no-one batting an eyelid, whereas last month a band didn't want to gear share (lend or borrow) made some excuse that they didn't want their dials changing (wtf) and they turned up with a Vox Valvetronic....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• I find its fairly normal on multi band line ups for kit share and it also makes the engineers job a lot easior and saves vital time. I would point out I would expect the promoter to have covered it beforhand so no issues arise on the night. I would also point out that if your doing one of these and are not happy about kit share make it known beforehand as opposed to at changeover, especially drummers! Have had a few moments, when pushed for time and the drummer insists on using his own kit, where then only option was to drop the band. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4550
    Would you have preferred it if they turn up on the night and say this? 

They did well to ask before hand, and offer a beer / taxi money .. well done chaps
  • I remember doing a charity gig and the promoter was the pub landlord who organised a PA and a marquee, etc, but nothing about shared backline or kit. Band's stuff got left on the car park hoping it didn't rain and we ended up on two hours late because the change overs ran over so much. Quite hard to say I'm pissed off when you're playing for charidee. I think that email from the other band is probably reasonable in the circumstances.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I don't really get the issue here.  Not only is it pretty standard but they are only asking for confirmation (which as said ahead on the night is a bonus) and offering beer and taxi money which I think is a friendly and more generous offer than you'd get from most.

When you say "What is it with indie bands?" I suppose it does vary in different genres to a degree depending on equipment requirements.  Most metal bands will just bring their own heads but share cabs.  That said at the average size gig I'd sooner let someone use my combo than have to tiptoe around a tiny stage with 12 different amps on it, fighting for position.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The only thing I can think of as an issue here is that it was broached only a couple of nights before the gig. Usually we've got kitshare sorted a week or two before the gig.

Had to lend a guitarist a plectrum recently though. That was a bit much.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    I don't think many other guitar players would be able to get what they wanted out of my 12w Princeton, and I wouldn't be happy about some indie kid whacking his pedalboard into it to try and make it louder either.

In my experience though, the sort of gigs where you're expected to share your life savings with a load of chumps you've never even met tend to be the ones where you don't even get paid, so we don't do them anyway.

All the multi band gigs we do are our best payers, and in that professional spirit it's kind of taken for granted you'll need your own gear and you'll get a proper soundcheck.
  • This is totes normal. I actually hate it more when you can't use your ow gear though
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Well it went ok. No one was a knobber. Amps intact
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'm sorry but I find it ridiculous. I live in a moderately remote part of the country and no matter where we play from Brighton up to Aberdeen we end up loaning out cabs and shells. That's fine but no matter where we are on the bill it's always ours.

Amps, breakables, pedals, guitars are all absolutely off limits. Split gigs with good mates I will share my amp on the premise that said mate doesn't touch a thing on it other than channel select.