Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Opening band want to borrow "everything" on a 4 band bill

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    You avoid the situations yet your gears been broken, I lend my stuff out quite freely, nothings ever been broken-I'd say you're unlucky or I'm lucky!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've let bands use my amp on a couple of occasions and I have been mortified both times. Not because I fear damage to it, but because it's a very average amp. I can get the sound I need out of it, more or less, but I dread someone else having to plug into it and expecting to find a useable sound....!  I always feel like saying "Are you sure you don't want us to share YOUR amp?!"

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    ICBM said:
    Deijavoo said:
    Digi's story above will break any amp I'd imagine.
    No. Won't break a Peavey solid-state amp :).

I've become very fond of my Peavey Wiggy, Bandit-like reliability coupled with looks that a lot of guitarists wouldn't go near and, um, 'idiosyncratic' control layout that few can fathom on first glance. It's hilarious watching people around it at jam nights, they're initially attracted to the "oooohhhh pretty" and then they sort of gag a bit on run off to plug into the Valvestate instead :D 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    If a regular gigging guitarist has a spare amp, would it not be prudent to offer that to whoever needs it ?

No one is going to break an 80's Peavey Bandit.

From my own point of view i wouldn't play a shared gig, i hate them. On occasions i have played with one other band though no one was sure who was supporting who. I used a novel invention which lets you talk directly to the person who's amp sharing qualities you may be wondering / worrying about. It wasn't difficult to work out where the guys were coming from and we had a great chat. ON the night, we had already talked on the phone again and using a 1970's laptop (Pen and paper) we both had lists that were ticked off so we all had enough kit.

The communication and total lack of ego meant everything went so smoothly we did it again a short while later.

If you're in this situation, a lot can be gained by simply talking to people. If you are unlucky enough to be billed with 'Bullet for my 
    Ego' then at least you will be better informed before the gig and you can act accordingly.

As an aside, when i run the Jam sessions i am quite happy for anyone to use my Deville, whether i'm on stage or not. I might not have ever met them before but meeting them in the social aspect of the Jam Sessions and the fact that a large amount of the people present are players seems to make the atmosphere feel safe.

Would i lend it out to a band i hadn't spoken to and had no idea about ?

I don't think so but in saying that if i had taken the time to listen to their music and talk to them, i might have found a group of people i quite like and would feel much better about helping them.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Drew_fx said:
    The only thing I can think of as an issue here is that it was broached only a couple of nights before the gig. Usually we've got kitshare sorted a week or two before the gig.

Had to lend a guitarist a plectrum recently though. That was a bit much.
    Should have given him one of your left-handed ones.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• thomasross20;852096" said:
    I've already said nobody is playing my guitar at the Crimbo do. I don't mind about the amp (to an extent) but not the guitar. 

I think amps are fair game but not guitars/pedals.
    You've clearly never spent 100 quid on valves!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    thomasross20 said:
    I think amps are fair game but not guitars/pedals.
    You've clearly never spent 100 quid on valves!
    It's true, he hasn't :).

On the other hand I've let people play through my Mesa with at least £200 worth of NOS valves in it. Short of unplugging the speaker and cranking it, there isn't any reason to think they'll come to any harm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I wouldn't let just anyone use my gear so would have to think of a polite way of telling that first guitarist. [-X