Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Opening band want to borrow "everything" on a 4 band bill

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    edited November 2015
    Deijavoo said:
    Split gigs with good mates I will share my amp on the premise that said mate doesn't touch a thing on it other than channel select. 
    Why? It's almost certainly not going to be set right for him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    ICBM said:
    Deijavoo said:
    Split gigs with good mates I will share my amp on the premise that said mate doesn't touch a thing on it other than channel select. 
    Why? It's almost certainly not going to be set right for him.

I don't get this either? Not borrowing gear is fair enough as some people don't like sharing expensive stuff with people they don't know. Also what is ridiculous about a 4/5 band evening sharing amps? You could be looking at 25 amps in the room and needing a set up/sound check, it's ridiculous to not want a bit of gear share in these scenarios.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Some people can't be arsed enough to bring their amp, I can't be arsed dialing in the eq on each of my four channels to accomodate what they fancy. The absolute least of my worries is my amp being set for someone else.

Each band needs a soundcheck anyways, moving a mic or stacking amps has never been an issue at gigs I've played. That's in tiny corners of pubs or moderately large stages.  

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Deijavoo said:
    Some people can't be arsed enough to bring their amp, I can't be arsed dialing in the eq on each of my four channels to accomodate what they fancy. The absolute least of my worries is my amp being set for someone else.

This is why I always used to take a photo of my settings before lending an amp to someone on the same bill.

I've never had a problem with lending a backline, certainly not cabs. Amps are fine too, and I've lent a pedal before. I think it's an unwritten rule that you at least bring a guitar though.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24340
    If they can show me a checkable insurance policy that will cover replacing my gear then fine. Or a security deposit covering full replacement of anything borrowed.

I've worked too hard to let some unknown person use my kit without guarantees.

My list of people I trust enough to lend gear to is very small indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Deijavoo said:
    Some people can't be arsed enough to bring their amp, I can't be arsed dialing in the eq on each of my four channels to accomodate what they fancy.
    Ah, I see. I would just let them do it themselves…

Deijavoo said:
    Each band needs a soundcheck anyways, moving a mic or stacking amps has never been an issue at gigs I've played. That's in tiny corners of pubs or moderately large stages.
    I don't like stacking amps, it greatly increases the chances of something falling over since they almost never sit securely. You always end up with one amp on the floor, too - and since my amp is usually the biggest :) I don't want it to be mine. I much prefer to have less gear than try to pack in too much.

Each to their own though, if everyone's happy. It's just that sharing gear bothers me far less than most other problems.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ah, sorry I worded that badly. I meant dialing my own settings back in. :-)
  • Deijavoo said:

Well, I've only done a fairly modest amount of multi band gigs but certainly not had a sound check per band! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24340
    To paraphrase the much missed Jason Morris

'Can I use your guitar?'

'Only if I can use your woman'
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    To paraphrase the much missed Jason Morris

'Can I use your guitar?'

'Only if I can use your woman'
    Despite my happiness to lend and borrow amps, that does not apply to guitars. I don't want someone else's sweaty hands on it and my strings - especially since I don't take more than one guitar normally, and the state some people leave them in would require an immediate change of strings.

Apart from my 'open jam' guitar, which is a cheap resonator - very hard to damage - fitted with coated strings, the only guitar I use them on, purely for that reason.

I get why people don't want to do it and it's their choice and I certainly don't expect anyone to lend me an amp. It's generally not because people can't be arsed bringing one or don't have one. in my experience with the type of gigs I've done and do, if everyone insisted on using their own gear then stage times would get affected. People always take too long to set up, break down, dial in and sound/line check.

Again, that's their problem. People should set up and pack down as quickly as possible. Surely 15 minutes is long enough for a slick changeover?

Just my opinion of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Deijavoo said:
    Again, that's their problem. People should set up and pack down as quickly as possible. Surely 15 minutes is long enough for a slick changeover?

Just my opinion of course. 

Yeah it should be enough, but it never seems to be. You misunderstand my point re stage times being affected. I'm saying that everyone's times gets eaten into if this happens-not just the band fancying about. I've had my stage time cut by 10 minutes when on last due to people fancying about, which is bloody annoying and there's nothing that could be done as the venue is working to a strict close time....

lloyd said:
    Yeah it should be enough, but it never seems to be. You misunderstand my point re stage times being affected. I'm saying that everyone's times gets eaten into if this happens-not just the band fancying about. I've had my stage time cut by 10 minutes when on last due to people fancying about, which is bloody annoying and there's nothing that could be done as the venue is working to a strict close time....
    That's the gig promoter/manager's fault for not sticking to strict cut-off times earlier on. I've had that more times than I care to remember - to the point that with most of them we would never play last - although the best chap I ever worked for was totally ruthless... you want to piss about "soundchecking" for 35 minutes? Fine - you play for 10. And then the PA goes off. And the next band *will* be on stage setting up five minutes after that even if you're at the bar chatting someone up and your guitar is still leaning against the amp. Sadly he got that way because he was just so fed up working with idiots that in the end he just packed in running gigs at all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Wisdom to both.
    Also, I like the sound of that dude @ICBM.
    edited November 2015
    Yeah it's the promoters fault, but it doesn't bring back the stage time....lots of weak promoters about so I've seen it happen to other bands too. You should absolutely have x amount of time on stage and do whatever you want in that time. 

I've seen bands soundcheck 3 songs-all while the audience is there, only to play those three songs 5 minutes later....I see a lot of bands wanting everything to be absolutely perfect, to be fair were not playing Wembley to 100,000 people and while I want my sound to be good I don't need to spend 10 minutes getting the perfect balance in my monitor. 

It also amazes me the amount of time people waste during set up tuning their guitars-tune it before you go up-and pissing about with pedal settings-that stuff should be engrained In your brain.

• lloyd said:
    Yeah it's the promoters fault, but it doesn't bring back the stage time....lots of weak promoters about so I've seen it happen to other bands too. You should absolutely have x amount of time on stage and do whatever you want in that time. I've seen bands soundcheck 3 songs-all while the audience is there, only to play those three songs 5 minutes later....I see a lot of bands wanting everything to be absolutely perfect, to be fair were not playing Wembley to 100,000 people and while I want my sound to be good I don't need to spend 10 minutes getting the perfect balance in my monitor. It also amazes me the amount of time people waste during set up tuning their guitars-tune it before you go up-and pissing about with pedal settings-that stuff should be engrained In your brain.
    Its not so bad anymore but before LED lights it was pretty common for your guitar to go out of tune in between soundcheck and actually getting on stage.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    edited November 2015
    jeztone2 said:
    My band is supporting an electronica act tomorrow night. But we had this email last night.

everyone

Really looking forward to the show on Wednesday - could I please confirm the gear share arrangements?

We need a bass amp, guitar combo and shells - as we were the band opening I was to understand we would be bringing breakables/ snare/cymbals/pedal etc. so we don't end up with 4 bass amps in the room.

Anyone wants to help us out with that I would be greatly appreciated and will be happy to get yall a pint or help with taxi money .

Thanks,

Now I've shared cabs & loaned my amp. But what is it with indie bands? They seem content to plug into anything. I know there the opening band. But my lot feel put on the spot. Nothing has been heard from the other band on the bill, so I dunno if there horrified or after borrowing stuff as well? We are third band on with two before us. But I just feel it's a piss take,
    Or am I unreasonable?

Thoughts please?
    I thought this was normal in multi line up bills, to help do quick stage changes. Normally 1 Bass amp, 1 Kit whole night, often shared guitar amps too unless completely unsuitable. Normally arranging the week before is the thing though, not the night before.

Guitar amps, snares, cymbals, bass drum pedals, fx pedals etc are normally not shared..
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    At the charity band do last night we were 12 minutes late starting the first set - the organiser's fault and unforgivable when there are 5 bands on and each band has half an hour only, with 15-minute changeovers. However because we're all veterans of the jam-night scene, and the gear-sharing had been properly arranged in advance, the changeovers were so quick we finished 10 minutes early!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom