Album That Changed Your Life

What's Hot

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1562
    edited January 2016
    Got into Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood" at 13 and still listen to it a few too many decades later. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiform said:
    Genuinely? Appetite for Destruction. 
    Still my favourite to this day.
    Given you a wisdom for that Thomas. As long as I've known you on the forums you've always stuck to your guns with Slash and G 'N' R. That's very cool.
    Thank you! :)

I've listened to so much, so many styles but in the end I keep coming back to rock and G N' R. 

I like instrumental stuff like Satch but I REALLY love bands like Van Halen, G N' R, Extreme - the hard-hitting ones with a good front man and showy guitarist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5168
    ACDC If you want Blood live album
    Played it to death on my record player

:)
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    I can't say that any one album actually changed my life. However this was the soundtrack to a summer which holds very fond memories.

PS: Yes - there was a girl involved...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    Def Leppard: Hysteria, larger than life songwriting, harmonies and tasty guitar playing and the end the record gives me that strange feeling like an ending to a movie
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    AuldReekie;936800" said:
    "Hats" - The Blue Nile's second album released in 1989.  The first album that made me realise there was more to music than guitars.  Its beautifully crafted songs, a combination of the emotive vocals of Paul Buchanan and the inventive and the atmospheric soundscapes of Paul Joseph Moore combined with multi instrumentalist Robert Bell produced an album that even more than 25 years later, remains my favourite album off all time.If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favour and click on this link, preferably with your favourite drink and subliminal lightingimage

Music of rare beauty
    It is indeed a stunning record.... And probably my favourite of all time too.

AuldReekie;936800" said:
    "Hats" - The Blue Nile's second album released in 1989.  The first album that made me realise there was more to music than guitars.  Its beautifully crafted songs, a combination of the emotive vocals of Paul Buchanan and the inventive and the atmospheric soundscapes of Paul Joseph Moore combined with multi instrumentalist Robert Bell produced an album that even more than 25 years later, remains my favourite album off all time.If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favour and click on this link, preferably with your favourite drink and subliminal lightingimage

Music of rare beauty
    It is indeed a stunning record.... And probably my favourite of all time too.

Opening track is great, it's wonderful to find new music.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    prh777;937145" said:
    Opening track is great, it's wonderful to find new music.
    Saturday Night and Let's Go Out Tonight will floor you then.....
  • Yet another great thread, by the way - lots of stuff I haven't heard!
  • Electro_Ham;936614" said:
    The Cult: Electric started the musical ball rolling for me.
    Yeah baby
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Quite a few have changed my life in different ways. This was the first

then this one

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

24 Carat Purple...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ltV6r0LvI

Up to then, it had been pop music in general, but this was something of a revelation to me in 1975. Somebody brought it into a school music lesson where we could bring in albums to listen to. That led me to learn the Smoke On The Water riff on a mate's acoustic which had a whole two strings (first thing I ever played on guitar). No going back.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    The Stone Roses. Definitely. It's the reason I play guitar at all. It's the reason I wear the clothes I wear. It's the reason my hair is cut how it is.

Definitely can say it changed my life
  • thinking about it I would probably go with 

Blur - Parklife
    Nirvana - In utero
    Beck - Odelay
    Red hot chili peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412
    The Wall - Pink Floyd

I've never heard music in the same way since and it changed the way the think about music
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited January 2016
    Delicate sound of thunder Pink Floyd I was a teenager when it came out and it made me go back and discover Pink Floyd's back catalogue from the 70's, especially The Wall and then Dark Side of the Moon. But also Rio by Duran Duran. Only 8 years old and it was the first "grown up" music I listened too. What a huge impact it had on me!
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • It would have to be Treasure by Cocteau Twins.
    I bought it thinking it might have been an album of theirs I had heard previously which sounded a bit like Siouxsie and the Banshees (who I was really into at the time) and it wasn't. The first time I played it, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. What I did know was that I had heard nothing like it before. I played it two or three more times and by then I was absolutely besotted. 

It's hard to talk about without coming across as a pretentious twat, but to me, the Cocteaus music does something to me that no others' does. It's way beyond music and I wish I could express it in words.

I'd love to think that this happens to other people too.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'd say CSNY - Deja Vu, every single song on that album is a masterpiece in its own right, but as a collection it is something else. Hearing those great tones ranging from the White Falcon to Old Black is what got me into guitar playing. Overall this is one of my favourite albums of all time, and while I listen to lots of other music I know I can always come back to this and enjoy it as much as I did the first time.
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom