Album That Changed Your Life

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden, the album which made me want to play guitar, specifically the song Hallowed be thy Name.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace - specifically Hanger 18, the album/song which got me into thrash metal.

Metallica - the black album - specifically Enter Sandman, one of the first songs I learned to play, same with Judas Priest's Painkiller and Nightcrawler - for showing me I can learn songs from beginning to end.

Pink Floyd - The Wall, the album which got me into PF, and is still epic all these years later.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    edited March 2017
    Needless to say.......

Related image

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    Can't pick just one.....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91%2B4EwtPiKL._SL1500_.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/RainbowRainbowRising.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/ComeAnGetIt.jpg

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2012/06/whitesnake-lovehunter-front.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

These ones were seldom off the stereo
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited January 2016
    I don't think there is an individual album that had that big an effect. There have been different albums that have had an impact on different styles of play and summed up different periods of my life. I did a thread a couple of months back about the 10 albums that shaped you as a musician and that was a tough list. I think if I looked back at mine now I'd probably change my mind and swap a few in.

For example Irish tour 74. Rory Gallagher. But then I can't ignore still got the blues by Garry Moore. Then there's Nick drake. Pearl jam. Sound garden. Guns n roses. Metallica. Tool. Kerbdog. Jeff Buckley. Aargh. Not a hope. There's no one album I could pick :)
  • prh777;937145" said:
    Opening track is great, it's wonderful to find new music.
    Saturday Night and Let's Go Out Tonight will floor you then.....

The first time I saw The Blue Nile was at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in 1990 where they played their first two albums back to back. The set finished with "Saturday Night", played note for note as per the album. It was the ultimate goose pimple moment
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    The Cult - Electric.

And Yngwie's first one, obviously. ;)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    For me there are two:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here: the moment I realised that widdly diddly blues rock solos weren't the only thing to play on a guitar.

And the unusual one...

Talk Talk - Colour of Spring: it turned my world upside down when I heard it. I can't put it into words, as it just resonated and everything changed. I stopped wanting to play guitar that "sounded like" this person or that person. I stopped wanting to make music that was the next "this band" or "that band". It set me on a more melodic road - and then when I heard Spirit of Eden, the 'follow up' album... just wow.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yet another vote for Appetite for Destruction. My dad gave me the tape of it saying.
    "I'm sick of you playing pop music- think you'll like this. If your mother asks- you DIDNT get this from me!"

My music taste changed over night.

Honourable mention for Green Day- Dookie. First album I bought with my own money. Still good.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5273
    Talking Heads stop making sense
    Exile on Main Street
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Peter Gabriel
    Grandmaster Flash 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Ive always been interested in music - my Mum's influence since she was a talented musician. So we'd always been immersed in everything from classical music to 70s easy listening albums in the house.

Two things though changed me. The first was a Christmas present for my brother - Love Over Gold by Dire Straits. He hadn't asked for it, so I suspect it was an album Mum and Dad fancied!! We couldn't be bothered with Telegraph Rd at that age cos it was too long, but loved Industrial Disease. TG is now one of my all time favourite tracks!!

The second was harder hitting. I was on scout summer camp aged 12 and into chart music. This was 1984 so ABBA's brilliance, New Romantics and a little bit of rock was my staple diet. Then in the coach on the way home, a guy suggested to my brother and I that we should listen to a small compilation he'd put together of a band we'd never heard of. Cue a mesmerising experience of Assassing, Punch and Judy, Cinderella Search, 3 Boats Down from the Candy and Market Sq Heroes. I had never heard anything like it before and can honestly say it was the first time music actually engaged my brain. Lots of other music made me laugh, smile or dance around, but this was different.

So upon getting home I bought Script and Fugazi, and a few months later attended my first gig, (Mum and Dad took me, my brother and the friend who'd introduced us but didn't go to the gig so there were two 14yr olds and a 12yr old enjoying the experience without parental assistance). Marillion Euro Tour '84 at Hammersmith Odeon - the Real to Real tour. We hung around at the end for autographs and the night was complete.

The first four Marillion albums along with the epic B Sides, (very few bands have created such an amazing catalogue of b side songs and Marillion released them in their own right on a dedicated album such was the demand), are the soundtrack of my childhood. I still get goosebumps listening to them and to recently see Fish perform Misplaced Childhood two nights on the trot was perfection.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited January 2016
    Appetite for destruction.

I was 11-12 when I first heard it and it I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Plus all the swagger and attitude that went with it. Struck a chord with an already angry kid.

Fast forward 4 years when I then heard Vai's Passion and warfare. That was a defining moment for me and playing the guitar
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited January 2016
    impmann;937435" said:
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here: the moment I realised that widdly diddly blues rock solos weren't the only thing to play on a guitar.

And the unusual one...

Talk Talk - Colour of Spring: it turned my world upside down when I heard it. I can't put it into words, as it just resonated and everything changed. I stopped wanting to play guitar that "sounded like" this person or that person. I stopped wanting to make music that was the next "this band" or "that band". It set me on a more melodic road - and then when I heard Spirit of Eden, the 'follow up' album... just wow.
    WYWH was important to me too - certainly as a 'guitar' album.

I feel exactly the same way about those two Talk Talk albums as I do about the
    Blue Nile album I posted about earlier in the thread. There's a lot more guitar on 'The Colour of Spring' than 'Hats' - but it's the way the music is layered and arranged which I love so much.

In fact I need to find 'I Don't Believe You' on my phone and listen to it now....
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SerratusSerratus Frets: 121

There are so many bands/albums that had huge influences over me (Living Colour, Racer X, Spin Doctors, Sting, RHCP, Satch, Vai, Extreme, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and recently Periphery, Big Wreck, and back in the 80's Bon Jovi, etc), but this band and album is what started me playing guitar.

Has to be Van Halen I

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Too many to choose from? But my top five have got to be Live and dangerous. Thin Lizzy Unleashed in the east. Judas Priest Never mind the bollox. Pistols Diary of a madman. Ozzy And for me too @Serratus. Van Halen 1
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Nods as good as a wink - Faces
    Space Oddity -Bowie
    Electric Warrior -T Rex
     - all around the same time 1973/4
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    the_jaffa;937184" said:
    The Stone Roses. Definitely. It's the reason I play guitar at all. It's the reason I wear the clothes I wear. It's the reason my hair is cut how it is.

Definitely can say it changed my life
    You mean you're a scruffy git? They have certainly encouraged me to not bother too much with hair combing
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    edited January 2016
    Rainbow - Best of Rainbow, and

The Damned - Strawberries
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • King Crimson - Larks Tongue in Aspic.