What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5018
    maidenfan said:
    Can't pick just one.....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91%2B4EwtPiKL._SL1500_.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/RainbowRainbowRising.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/ComeAnGetIt.jpg

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2012/06/whitesnake-lovehunter-front.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

These ones were seldom off the stereo
    Were?

Decades on and they are still in constant rotation for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess the albums that got me into rock/metal were

And Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical album... which has a NSFW cover IIRC.

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    dogload said:
    I suspect it would most likely be PXR5 by Hawkwind. That''s what made me want to play guitar and opened the door for a whole load of music that they didn't play on the wireless at that time!

Remember it well, but prefer some of Hawkwind's more bassy and synthy output. Saw them at the old Hammersmith Odeon (as it was then known) and that was my first live gig. Cue first gig thread.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

For me, it was probably Fleetwood Mac, 'Rumours'.

My Parents were/are big fans, so I heard this a lot growing up.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Man, I'd forgotten how much I loved the Troublegum album too. I've got a 2.5hr train journey up to see mates in Inverness this afternoon, where I grew up and spent the years when I really discovered music (and this album). The perfect time to listen to it for the first time in about 10 years.

:D
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5018
    Nikko said:

My mum always said I should listen to Rumours.

I wore out Tango In The Night though...
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    @andyp a fellow Invernessian right eenuff 
    @mikeyrob73 ;

Aye, it's the town I call home I guess but I've moved around a bit (all still within Scotland though). I was born up there and spent half my first 20 years of life there (the first and last quarter, with the middle half in Edinburgh) so I have a bit of a mixed identity. Now settled near Stirling but work in Aberdeen... so it's still the case even now! I'm not back in Inverness much, but I really miss it there.

Sorry for the thread drift folks. :)

Currently fighting my iPhone to download Troublegum from Apple Music as I can't copy it over from my laptop as my music is all stored at home. I'm sadly excited about listening to this again!

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    andyp said:
    Man, I'd forgotten how much I loved the Troublegum album too. I've got a 2.5hr train journey up to see mates in Inverness this afternoon, where I grew up and spent the years when I really discovered music (and this album). The perfect time to listen to it for the first time in about 10 years.

D
    I listened to it before lunch, its been a very long time it but It hasn't aged that badly at all. The guitar is so satisfyingly heavy and abrasive.
    Reverend said:
    Nikko said:

Tango In The Night was a real favourite as a kid too. It used to be on in the car a lot when we were out and about, along with Graceland, Brothers in Arms and Born in the USA.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    edited March 2017
    hey @andyp same as myself, Hilton originally, moved to Jersey for a year, then Central Belt, now based in Yorkshire but its still the place i call home really, which is strange as i have been away for 15 years. Do love getting back up when i can though, all family are still up there. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4321
    I don't think an album changed my life as such. The following are important for the different reasons listed...

Various - Visions (TV Theme Tunes album from the 80s) - It's shit, but it's the first music I remember listening to and thinking I like some of these tunes. It was an album of TV themes like Hill Street Blues, MASH etc with a picture of a lake on the cover. Dad used to play it in the car on our yearly drive to Spain for holiday.

Michael Jackson - Thriller - Beat It is the first piece of guitar that I remember singing out loud and in my head. I don't really remember much else about the album, but EVH's solo stands out.

NWA - Straight Outta Compton - Had it on cassette at school. Listened to it initially, just as there was lots of swearing and it was funny. After a while came to appreciate the music. I'd already discovered bits and pieces of hip hop via De La Soul and the few tunes they had that charted. This cemented a life long love of hip hop and associated culture.

Nirvana - Nevermind - Captured my teen imagination, and was what I was into when I first started playing guitar. Dave Grohl was actually my inspiration as I always wanted to play the drums. I wasn't allowed for various reasons, so I chose guitar instead.

Jimi Hendrix - Cornerstones - It's a best of, but it was the first time I ever heard Jimi. First track is Hey Joe, which is still my go to riff everytime I pick up a guitar.

Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists / Gold Against the Soul / Holy Bible - I've lumped them all together as they were all as important to me as each other. JDB was probably my biggest influence growing up. I went to see them live shit loads and really really loved the Manics. Slash and Burn was my favourite song to play as a kid growing up. I ended up with a Les Paul Custom because of JDB, and a JCM 900. Still probably my favourite set up I've used.

Ocean Colour Scene - Moseley Shoals - This was a big album for me at the time. I was aware of Mod culture via my dad, and also my growing fascination with 60s music. This band came around with this album at the perfect time, and framed my life nicely for a year or so. Mod has stayed with me ever since and still colours my dress sense today. 

Boymerang - Balance of the Force - I had a long hiatus from playing guitar where I DJ'd for a long time. I was mainly into jungle / drum and bass. Boymerang was my favourite producer, and he produced my favourite drum and bass tune Soul Beat Runna. This is the album it was taken from. I had to pick a drum and bass album as it's so important to me, but it's hard with this genre as you don't get many (decent) artist albums. This is a cracker though.

Fleetwood Mac - Pious Bird of Good Omen - It's Peter Green! Opens with Need Your Love So Bad, which was played at my wedding for our first dance. Peter Green is still my favourite electric guitarist. His touch and feel was crazily good and that tone! It's also got Black Magic Woman on it which ain't bad. Unless it's Santana crucifying it.

Well there you go.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Reverend said:
    Nikko said:

Yep, Tango in the night was/is also a favourite :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    I have owned a large number of albums in my time but none that changed my life. Not a single one. None.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• For those referencing Troublegum, if you haven't kept up with Therapy? , I definitely recommend you check out their most recent album, Disquiet. Most of their recent output has been decent, to be fair.

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1214
    Gotta Let This Hen Out by Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians, closely followed by Explosions in the Glass Palace by Rain Parade. Many others followed but these two really had an impact at a certain time in my life and set me on a different path in terms of how I felt about music.They made me want to play the guitar and be in a band.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited March 2017
    Never Mind The Bollocks was a big one for me actually. My drummer mates dad was really into his punk and after he introduced us to that, I'm pretty sure we ended up playing the album in its entirety when we used to jam.
    For those referencing Troublegum, if you haven't kept up with Therapy? , I definitely recommend you check out their most recent album, Disquiet. Most of their recent output has been decent, to be fair.
    They're a band where I remember only really liking the one album. I seem to remember Infernal Love (is that what it's called?) not being my thing, but I was thinking earlier that I should revisit their other stuff. I had the same happen with Pearl Jam too - same time of life too. I absolutely loved Ten (and still do) and really wasn't keen on the rest of their stuff back at the time... I went back and listened to their other stuff recently and was amazed how much I liked it.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I love the Rain Parade! Explosions In The Glass Palace was my introduction to them. An acquaintance had bought it when it first came out, didn't like it, and asked if I wanted it. I took it on the off chance it might be half decent, and was blown away by it!
     Gutted I never got to see them live.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • photekphotek Frets: 1468
    Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Not my favourite album by a long way but definitely changed my life.