Chilli's classic car thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

The brand-spanking new alloy fuel tanks arrived this afternoon. £930 quid's worth. They are beautiful, exquisite, superbly-crafted, with welding like I've never seen before.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Lotus/imagejpg1_zps3a6cb7cf.jpg

There is however one teesny-weensy, itsy-bitsy problem.........................

THEY'RE THE WRONG FUCKING TANKS!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    You should have got the metal one off ebay for £130.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2015
    Where's that facepalm when you need it?

• The brand-spanking new alloy fuel tanks arrived this afternoon. £930 quid's worth. They are beautiful, exquisite, superbly-crafted, with welding like I've never seen before.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Lotus/imagejpg1_zps3a6cb7cf.jpg

There is however one teesny-weensy, itsy-bitsy problem.........................

THEY'RE THE WRONG FUCKING TANKS!

Yes they don't look like they would fit an Esprit. A 40 ton Truck maybe
    Incredibly, they're the right physical size, and capacity (8 gallons per tank), just the wrong fiittings, they're for a later model. I have to box them up again for collection on Monday. It's frustrating, as they're made to order, but at least the bloke is going to make some new ones with the correct fittings.

edited February 2015

Just finished off drilling out the engine mount bolt holes, and replacing them with larger M10 studs. I can't imagine why they never fitted that size from the off, but there you go.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Lotus/2015-02-16180115_zps166f410f.jpg

And I've done a bit of work on the new mount leg to accommodate the larger nut size, plus fabricated a new support strap which was missing. Very slightly chuffed!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Lotus/2015-02-16181627_zpscb598b71.jpg

The engine mounting legs look really spindly to me, but apparently they don't break, so I guess they must be OK.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12485
    Fine work sir, have a wow.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Have to venture outside under the Transit tipper as the MOT is due next week.

From what I can assess, before checking the shocks and really looking at it closely:

Three new tyres

New mid and tail exhaust sections

Inner sill welding

New centre propshaft bearing

New handbrake cable

And the brake fluid started to disappear yesterday, so probably a rear cylinder need replacing.

I should really check the diff oil and replace the gearbox oil as I've been using some stuff in it that isn't right.

Also it needs an oil change and filter.

And probably a load of other welding work.

And I'm working outdoors where the wind bites right up your arse.

Oh joy of joys.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Finally getting some progress. Struggled like fuck to fit it, but finally got the new exhaust manifold buttoned up.

And the guy that made me the alloy fuel tanks produced another pair, this time with the right fittings. I covered them in heat reflective material, stuck the closed cell sponge on the bottom, and tried to fit them. Left hand one fell in, the RH side took about an hour. Bastard thing.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27858
    This is a real labour of love. 

Or madness.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    This is a real labour of love. 

Or madness.
    Or both.
    ;)
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    How long til you get to drive it?
    My V key is broken
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27858
    holnrew said:
    How long til you get to drive it?
    You do know it's a Lotus???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2972
    tFB Trader

That exhaust fanimold's a thing of beauty...

We went to the Gaydon museum once, where there was a GT40. An old boy came over and asked if I'd like to see the engine and inside the car. It had a Gurney exhaust that was a work of art. Had a sit inside (car not exhaust..). The fella was an ex-Jim Clark mechanic and told us a few anecdotes. A nice day out, that was.

As soon as you put a car off the road, you kind of reach a watershed. You either get it back on the road again, or sell it as it is and take a big loss. I bought it in the knowledge that it wanted work, I just never realised how much, and how much it would cost! Honestly, I've spent pretty much all the free time I have since before Christmas to get to this point, and there's still more work to do before the engine and box go back in. 

That manifold was part of a group buy, and cost £1,200. its made by a company called Alunox, who have a very good reputation. But, like the fuel tanks, it will be sadly hidden away from view.

The credit card is overheating..........

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I guess at least you'll know everything has been done properly before it goes back on the road and not lashed up like before. It does look like a nightmare to work on though, kudos to you for sticking with it. I think I would have given up and taken the hit on costs by now. :(
    edited March 2015
    I've finished the fuel tank install, had to make some new plywood retaining tops for them. Seriously, you wouldn't believe how amateurish the build quality is, considering this car cost £52,000 in 1995.. Still, I feel I've made some progress.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I had a blue 90s Elan behind me yesterday. The roof looked pretty ropey. I imagine it's much cheaper to maintain though.
    My V key is broken
    I think they were front wheel drive with an Isuzu engine, Hol?

I had a look under the engine hatch of one of the new Lotus Evoras last week. As a result, I shall no longer complain about access to any oily bits on the Esprit. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Saw a classic 60's Élan today. Blimey, so tiny!! Bright yellow paint though, looked revolting.