Picking New Monitors

What's Hot
So I fancy a new pair of speakers for mixing. I've kind of got an insane shortlist that ranges from Yamaha HS-7s and Focal Alpha 65s at the lower end (Because I think they're the least I could spend money on and still improve my current monitoring situation), up to Focal Solo 6s which are at the absolute top end of what I could reasonably afford if I got them on finance.

Anyone got any monitoring thoughts? Know any good stores where I'll be able to compare? I went to PMT Birmingham, they had the Yamaha and Focal Alpha range set up to Demo but I'd have liked to compare them to more expensive stuff - Adam A7s, aforementioned Focal solos and CMS65s... where's a good place I could actually hear this stuff?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I think you will have to jump up a severe price bracket to beat value on the HS7's

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Try Guitar Guitar, the one in Epsom certainly has those models in stock
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    We've had this topic or similar a few times, and usually it comes back to the Yamahas. They are very good, very pleased with mine.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Aye, I know the HS7s are well respected in these parts. Was just wondering if anyone'd had the chance to compare them to some more expensive offerings.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited February 2016
    I think @Clarky uses HS7s, and has a wealth of knowledge and experience with recording in different studios, so I reckon he could give you some useful advice on comparisons with more expensive monitors, even if not with the specific models you mentioned.

I would love to be able to join in with some advice here, but it is so long since my involvement with studios and production, that I don't even recognise most of the brand names, let alone model numbers.  I am on the same path of (re)discovery, so have to declare more than a bit of self interest in this discussion  ;)

edit: The irony is that whilst I still have a pair of original NS10s somewhere around, they were designed to give an approximation of an average speaker for the average listening environment.  Now their offspring are budget home studio monitors in their own right, and presumably with release mix decisions being judged on them, so I am very interested in how detailed and accurate these newer generations really are.

• Focals are nice, can be a bit bland. Adams are good too. Most decent monitors are very subject to preference, just like guitars. I am biased to the Neumann KH120's as I have a pair, they are fantastic.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2163
    I like Genelecs. But that's just me. I also like PMC's. And Avantones.

the room is far more important though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Cirrus said:
    Aye, I know the HS7s are well respected in these parts. Was just wondering if anyone'd had the chance to compare them to some more expensive offerings.
    most discussions, the concensus seems to be that unless you want to spend a load of cash, the HS7s, or 5s are great. Even better if you add a sub, though I don't ahve one, and I really like the open even sound
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I have the Focal Alpha 65s and like them muchly. I've also used the Adam A7s quite a lot, they're good too. As stated above, a lot of it comes down to personal preference and the room you're listening in.
  • I have Solo 6's. Long story short I didn't want to spend that much but I couldn't sell my Roadster so part ex'd it against the speakers. They genuinely do need break in time and I was concerned about lack of bass to begin with but as they loosened up the bass response is great.

The comment about them being bland may be fair - they have smooth not hyped high end to me but I don't feel they lack detail. I love that I get no fatigue from using them, but as always YMMV.

My decision was between Solo 6 and Genelec 8040 and I slightly preferred the Focals. Genelecs were also nice, did seem like they had a deeper reaching bass.

I had HS8s before these and found them fatiguing in the presence region. The HS7s seemed better balanced.

Room is definitely the most important though.

Adam A7x are nice but the highs sound quite different to most other monitors I've heard. Definitely listen to them before worrying about user reviews. You'll either like it or not.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I'm getting Genelec 8010s as I have limited space. 
    I love the iso-pod feet - no need for acoustic isolation pads.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but also looking at small studio monitors. I'm currently recording mixing through my Denon stereo speakers. which actually sound pretty good, but are perhaps lacking the detail and accuracy that good studio monitors would bring. Size is critical as I'm in a small space. I've heard good thing about the Equator D5's although they seem quite large size wise. Any other recommendations. There seems to be endless advice online about this, but I'm suspicious of a £120 pair of monitors really being much better than what I have currently.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I tried loads at various price points and settled on HS7s - they are fantastic.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Ah, I'd forgotten about this thread!

I think i've narrowed it down to Focal CMS65s or Genelec 8040Bs - *possibly* Solo 6s but they're slightly above what I want to pay, I suppose it'd depend on finding a deal.

Now I just need to find somewhere I can compare them.
    Much difference between the HS7's and HS5's? Just thinking about space really.
    edited March 2016
    I heard both last month, though I was focusing more on the -7 and -8 versions so I only flicked to the -5 a couple of times. It had less bass, I woudn't have liked to judge what's going on down there critically really. The -7s were much better in that regard, and the -8s had even more but it was starting to get in the way of the midrange and it was a bit less clear so I liked it less. The HS7s are definitely the best of the bunch. Actually to my ears I preferred the Focal Alpha series at like for like woofer diameters, sounded a bit clearer and the midrange seemed flatter. Though again the 8" woofer version was a bit too boomy.
    Great, thanks. The focal alphas are a bit too expenisve for me. What about the
    Presonus Eris 5's?
    I've heard of those.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The Pres
    domforr said:
    Great, thanks. The focal alphas are a bit too expenisve for me. What about the
    Presonus Eris 5's?
    The Presonus E5's are surprisingly good for the price, I've found. We have some at work to replace a pair of KRK R8s (one of them blew it's amp - cheaper to get new speakers!) and they are actually much sweeter for the room and have bags of headroom.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Genelec, Genelec!