Picking New Monitors

What's Hot

Comments

• Awesome.  Good to hear you're liking them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I know this is a revived thread and all but I thought I would give some praise for Dynaudio. I have a set of BM6 mkii' sand they are lush.
  • I swear every time there are shots from within a BBC studio there are Dynaudios.  Unless they just keep showing the same studio and there's enough time between me watching the news on TV that I've forgotten it is the same place as last time.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I didn't get a chance to try any Dynaudios. What are they like?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4992
    I had to check that I was logged on to theFretboard as the comments were so similar to any Hi-Fi forum discussion.  Speaker break in, isolation supports, room, stereo imagery, passive -v- active etc., all standard fare on Hi-Fi websites.  The reality that cables do affect the sound you hear has crept in on this forum too.  Initially it is guitar leads that are deemed to 'sound different'.  Give it time and someone will state that mains cables affect the sound.  There will always be naysayers who disagree.  Same on Hi-Fi forums BTW. Fascinating how our understanding evolves through time.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26732
    edited April 2016
    Rocker said:
    Initially it is guitar leads that are deemed to 'sound different'.  Give it time and someone will state that mains cables affect the sound.
    Except...guitar leads sounding difference is a known function of the capacitance of the cable directly affecting the signal. Repeated actually scientifically-executed tests have shown that mains cables make no difference.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Mains cables definitely affect the sound. Without a mains cable the things won't even turn on!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cirrus said:
    Mains cables definitely affect the sound. Without a mains cable the things won't even turn on!
    Smartarse :P
    <space for hire>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    But he's right nevertheless !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    guitarfishbay;1042278" said:
    I swear every time there are shots from within a BBC studio there are Dynaudios.  Unless they just keep showing the same studio and there's enough time between me watching the news on TV that I've forgotten it is the same place as last time.
    Lots of broadcast facilities and trucks have either genelecs or Dynaudio's in. They seem to be the go to brands in most cases.
    @digitalscream, people can always 'explain away' the reason for changing their opinion. Nothing wrong in changing ones mind/opinion, but at least be honest in the reason for doing so. Capacitance in cables always existed. It is not something that started early this year. It is good that people are using their ears a bit more as human hearing is exceptionally good at picking up differences in sound if only given the chance.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    @digitalscream, people can always 'explain away' the reason for changing their opinion. Nothing wrong in changing ones mind/opinion, but at least be honest in the reason for doing so. Capacitance in cables always existed. It is not something that started early this year. It is good that people are using their ears a bit more as human hearing is exceptionally good at picking up differences in sound if only given the chance.
    Capacitance in cables has been known for a lot longer than this year.

Facts don't need belief or opinions...
    <space for hire>
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3003
    No such thing as a fact, only confirmation of a hypothesis.

(Running away quickly ;-) )

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    blobb said:
    No such thing as a fact, only confirmation of a hypothesis.
    Don't let the axioms hear you say that!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3003
    Postulator, alligator.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Rocker said:
    I had to check that I was logged on to theFretboard as the comments were so similar to any Hi-Fi forum discussion.  Speaker break in, isolation supports, room, stereo imagery, passive -v- active etc., all standard fare on Hi-Fi websites.  The reality that cables do affect the sound you hear has crept in on this forum too.  Initially it is guitar leads that are deemed to 'sound different'.  Give it time and someone will state that mains cables affect the sound.  There will always be naysayers who disagree.  Same on Hi-Fi forums BTW. Fascinating how our understanding evolves through time.
    this post made m laugh, nice one Rocker
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22242
    Rocker said:
    Speaker break-in is measurable. Different cables do affect the sound: this is also measurable and doesn't rely on human perception. Monitors sat on a desk compared to decent floor standing mounts will sound different. 

I'm waiting to see similar data on mains cables from you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Heartfeltdawn, you are a living example of how people change their opinions over time. A decade ago nobody apart from hi-fi people said that cables affect the sound. What proof can you offer that they do?

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    @Heartfeltdawn, you are a living example of how people change their opinions over time. A decade ago nobody apart from hi-fi people said that cables affect the sound. What proof can you offer that they do?
    First it was a year ago, now it was a decade ago. Care to keep going? Because I remember my dad telling me about it in the 80s, and knowing exactly why.
    <space for hire>
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22242
    Rocker said:
    Rocker, what of my opinions have changed over time? I've only been aware of your presence since the FB started so fucked if I know how you apparently know of my opinions a decade ago. 

My opinion on cables has been the same since 2003 and spending time in Long & McQuade in Toronto with various cables and then analysing them at home. When going "guitar-->cable-->DAW" and recording direct, it's possible to see variations between guitar cables. What I also found is that a lot of expensive cable doesn't sound "better" to me because I like the rounded off sound. I also found that my 40ft Yorkville guitar cable which is still going 13 years after buying it gave similar results to some far more expensive cables. 

If I am a living example of someone whose opinions change over time regarding audio equipment, then you are a prime example of a man who spouts a lot of nonsense and has a superb record in providing sod all data/evidence whatsoever to back up his nonsense. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom