Every CD I own . . .

What's Hot

Comments

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Lee Perry is responsible for my favourite reggae music. Like you said, weird and grrovy!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    lasermonkey;1015196" said:
    Lee Perry is responsible for my favourite reggae music. Like you said, weird and grrovy!
    He also worked on Big Muff with John Martyn - who described him as 'mad as a snake'.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27681
    I bought a load of Lee Perry stuff a couple of years ago - good stuff.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7842
    Day 13

CD#55 The Bluetones - Expecting To Fly

This was released in 1996 and since then I must have listened to it about three . . . times.

Slight Return is the stand out track but it's not enough to raise the album above "it's ok, I guess".

CD#56 Dixie Chicks - Taking The Long Way

I'm not a huge country music fan, but this is pretty good, well played and powerfully sung.

CD#57 Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club

Not sure why I've never bought more than this album, there are some great songs on here, Run, Baby Run being my favourite. 

CD#58 Blue Öyster Cult - Secret Treaties

For a long time the only thing I owned of theirs was of course (Don't Fear) The Reaper, but a few years ago I bought this album. According to Wikipedia, in 1975 a poll of critics of the British magazine Melody Maker voted Secret Treaties as the "Top Rock Album of All Time", so there you go.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_C said:
    CD#24 David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name . . .

Groovy.

CD25# Gene - Drawn To The Deep End

I love this album, Fighting Fit is one of my favourite "get the adrenaline flowing" songs and there are plenty of other great tunes too. Despite that I have never bought anything else by Gene, no idea why, maybe this all I need.

CD#26 Tubeway Army - Tubeway Army

After Tubeway Army with guitars and synths gave way to Gary Numan and the guitars were dropped I lost interest, apart from buying the single Cars. I certainly heard some of the subsequent GN stuff but it didn't thrill me the way this and Replicas did.

Gene did some other good stuff aside from Drawn....although Drawn... probably IS their peak. I love the way they vary the rhythm on the chorus of Fighting Fit each time so that it sounds a bit different every time - listen back to it if you've never noticed, it's really clever :)

• vizviz Frets: 10720
    Susch an interesting thread. I've only heard one of your CDs so far.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Wow, it just goes to show that we all like different things - though I'm not sure I like all of them either ;) 

There are a few I've glanced at and decided to leave for later.

It might be that the albums we both like are in my vinyl (250+) or downloads (150+) or maybe that one CD is it !

• vizviz Frets: 10720
    Well that one CD is a stonker.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23084
    Paul_C said:
    viz said:
    Wow, it just goes to show that we all like different things - though I'm not sure I like all of them either ;) 

I own 5 or 6 of your list so far - the rock/hard rock stuff, pretty much - but I'm familiar with some of the others.  There are a few artists I've never heard of, I must admit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Paul_C said:
    CD#57 Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club
    Not sure why I've never bought more than this album, there are some great songs on here, Run, Baby Run being my favourite.

And a couple of really irritating ones, All I Wanna Do and the Na Na Song, which almost put me off her completely. Can't Cry Any More is my favourite.

The second album - just called Sheryl Crow, with the picture of her looking miserable on the cover - is even better, it has Redemption Day on it which was covered by Johnny Cash on one of his last albums. The Globe Sessions is pretty good too. After that I slightly lost interest after I heard the appalling Live From Central Park album, and although I've got a couple of her later albums too I haven't made much of an effort to get into them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2016
    I've listened to a couple this morning . which takes me up to 60 and so as to see how I'm doing I've had a quick tot up of what's left.

If I take out a whole load that are downloaded albums written to CD, cover disks and compilations where I later bought all the albums (The Smiths, for example, I had all the albums on vinyl so bought a Best Of CD, then bought all the albums on CD).

This has compressed the target to 456 CDs (I can include the rest on another listening challenge if I'm daft enough to).

Just added another 10 so the total is now 466 and I've listened to 79

So I make that nearly 17% of the way there.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    ICBM;1016871" said:
    Paul_C said:CD#57 Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club

And a couple of really irritating ones, All I Wanna Do and the Na Na Song, which almost put me off her completely. Can't Cry Any More is my favourite.

The second album - just called Sheryl Crow, with the picture of her looking miserable on the cover - is even better, it has Redemption Day on it which was covered by Johnny Cash on one of his last albums. The Globe Sessions is pretty good too. After that I slightly lost interest after I heard the appalling Live From Central Park album, and although I've got a couple of her later albums too I haven't made much of an effort to get into them.
    I bought TNMC on the strength of All I Wanna Do but remember not liking anything else. I don't think I've listened back to it since I first had it so that might be up for reappraisal.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    so far today:

Day 14

CD#59 Michael Manring - Soliloquy

Like the Eric Roche CD, this loses something from only being able to be heard, especially some of the more extreme noises and rhythms.

CD#60 Michael Rattray Allstars - Smile At Who You Need To

As far as I can recall I got this from gigging with him/them but I have no idea where or when (which shows I can't remember much). Perfectly passable indie/pop/rock.

Here's one everyone's got, I'm sure:

CD#61 Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - How I Long To Feel That Summer In My Heart

I discovered the Mynci's (no idea if they mind me abbreviating their name like that, but it saves writing Gorky's Zygotic Mynci again) on a compilation that will turn up later. Patio Song was the tune, but it's not on this album, one of a number of theirs I own. I'm not sure I've listened to them all up to now but thanks to this blog it's only a matter of time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2016
    CD#62 Blues Traveler - four

Back in the days before the internet I used to watch a US comedy import called Roseanne.
    Apart from the episode where they replaced the eldest daughter with a new actress (who I last saw on Scrubs) when they included some "we know you know" gags, and at least three of the actors ending up on The Big Bang Theory at various points, there was an episode where Roseanne and Dan had something to do with a band (no memory as to why and I can't be bothered to look) and it finished off with the band playing a song which I thought was fantastic, with some mad harmonica playing. 
    I had no way of finding out who the band were until a few years later when I was watching a film about bowling and the Amish (Kingpin - Woody Harrelson, Randy Quaid) and it ended with THE BAND playing over the credits.
    Because it was on VHS and my TV wasn't great I could barely make out the credits, but I made my best guess and went to a record shop in town (Spinadisc, no longer there) to ask about what I thought might be the name of the band. They had one CD, which I bought and took home.
    Skipping through I got to track nine and there it was, a song called Hook.

There are some other tunes which are pretty good too, but nothing beats Hook and the journey I went on to find it. (apart from my two-year search for Lorraine Ellison's original version of Stay With Me, which is a whole other story, but on vinyl - stunning song though)

Nowadays I'd google it and be listening to it on YouTube before the credits had finished.

CD#63 Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom

One of his best, when he made interesting music that didn't follow an EC formula, which is how his more recent stuff sounds to me. I don't think his song writing has necessarily changed, but to my ears what comes out of the studio has been diluted over time, probably from Spike, maybe before.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Paul_C;1017515" said:
    CD#62 Blues Traveler - four

Back in the days before the internet I used to watch a US comedy import called Roseanne.

Apart from the episode where they replaced the eldest daughter with a

new actress (who I last saw on Scrubs) when they included some "we know

you know" gags, and at least three of the actors ending up on The Big

Bang Theory at various points, there was an episode where Roseanne and

Dan had something to do with a band (no memory as to why and I can't be

bothered to look) and it finished off with the band playing a song which

I thought was fantastic, with some mad harmonica playing. 

I had no way of finding out who the band were until a few years later

when I was watching a film about bowling and the Amish (Kingpin - Woody

Harrelson, Randy Quaid) and it ended with THE BAND playing over the

credits.

Because it was on VHS and my TV wasn't great I could barely make out the

credits, but I made my best guess and went to a record shop in town

(Spinadisc, no longer there) to ask about what I thought might be the

name of the band. They had one CD, which I bought and took home.

Skipping through I got to track nine and there it was, a song called Hook.

There are some other tunes which are pretty good too, but nothing beats

Hook and the journey I went on to find it. (apart from my two-year

search for Lorraine Ellison's original version of Stay With Me, which is

a whole other story, but on vinyl - stunning song though)

Nowadays I'd google it and be listening to it on YouTube before the credits had finished.
    IIRC they also appear in Blues Brothers 2000. Which is a terrible film but great for spotting various musos.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    here's the Lorraine Ellison song.

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    ICBM;1016871" said:
    Paul_C said:CD#57 Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club

I bought TNMC on the strength of All I Wanna Do but remember not liking anything else. I don't think I've listened back to it since I first had it so that might be up for reappraisal.

The Globe Sessions has 'Riverwide', which I think is the best song she's done.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    This thread has inspired me to go and listen to Silver Sun, whom I'd never even heard of before but they're SO right up my street.

Awesome!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Day 15

CD#64 XTC - English Settlement

A great album which for some reason I rarely used to listen to all the way through when playing the vinyl and haven't listened to much at all since buying the CD. It's not my absolute favourite but there's some really good music here. 

CD#65 Eurogliders - This Island

Or is it ? Bought from Exmouth Indoor Market, the sleeve declares it to be On This Island by 6 Day Riot, who are described as alt-pop with folk and pop influences. The CD agrees that what you're about to hear is indeed their 2010 album, however . . . the music which issues forth is that of an Australian indie pop band called Eurogliders and their 1984 release This Island, which isn't bad at all despite not being as described.

CD#67 R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant

This one's a bit hit and miss, but it has Fall On Me, which I like a lot.

CD#68 The Cure - Galore

I bought this as part of a opening offer for Britannia Music Club - four CDs for £4 (apart from a Hootie and the Blowfish album yet to be listened to I don't recall the others) and for some reason thought it was an album, but in fact it's a singles compilation 1987 - 97.

I really like The Cure but for some reason I only own this CD, and A Forest on vinyl.

I'm off to Exmouth tomorrow so no more updates until Friday - it's a four hour drive so I'll be able to get my four CDs a day listened to except for Wednesday . . . when I'll be down at Exmouth Indoor Market buying some more :)