Gary Moore Tone???? Urgent HELP!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    The DD3 is a great little pedal, I'd seriously look at a graphic eq pedal if you going after that "Corridors of Power" sound
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sorry about all the questions guys im just trying to learn as much as possible 

so what will the graphic eq allow me to do ??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It will give you that upper mid honk that was used on that album
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2606
    tFB Trader
    allot of his sustain comes from having the amp up loud and how that interacts with the guitar, it is not gain as in metal gain. the closest I have got to this at reasonable volumes is with a compressor pedal and an overdrive and the amp on the edge of overdrive... oh and learn to use your guitars volume control.

I used the compressor/overdrive/driven pre-amp in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvODpXTzpaw
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited April 2016
    TTony;1042640" said:
    Why's it "urgent"?
    There's a gang round my way which hold homeowners at gunpoint, until the hapless individual does a rendition of Parisienne Walkways which satisfies their tone-hound head-honcho.

Once he's heard a few seconds of fat, warm - yet clear, medium gain tone - with expressive vibrato and immense string-bending control, he's apparently reduced to tears and calls his men off.

They then leave quietly.

My guess, is they've paid the OP a visit....
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Or it's the spirit of Roy Buchanan coming round with. Telecaster ;)
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    edited April 2016
    Does your amp have a reverb? If so, that'll be before the loop, right (?), so have the reverb set low, then put the digital delay in the loop, set very quiet with 2 repeats, no more, to echo the reverbed signal and darken the clinical sound of digi delay (or get a cheap analogue delay). Set delay to around 300 - 400 ms. And turn up the mids on the amp, but quite flat so there's quite a bit of low mid and high mid too. And a tubescreamer set to mid drive, mid level; and maybe put a wah wah beforehand, just to boost the upper eq for when you're doing the long note in parisienne walkways, in case it starts to decay. And turn up the amp as much as you can. good luck!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited April 2016
    ICBM;1042648" said:
    dystopia251 said:

Im at low levels in a bedroom So i cant turn it up.

A friend of mine who is very into Gary Moore does it with a JVM410JS and a 1936 2x12", though. It's more about setting it right than the actual amp.
    The JVM seems to be able to do almost any Marshall era amp around....get your mate to post a photo of settings pls!!!
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    I'd sell the JCM 800 and buy an amp you can turn up above 1 in your bedroom.  Great amp that it is, you won't be getting any decent sounds out of it at those sorts of levels.

If you can't bring yourself to sell the amp then an attenuator is a must - you have to get the amp cooking to get the best from it.

It's a bit pointless copying someone else's amp settings imho, 2 guitarists can make the same setup sound drastically different . Another thing you have to take into consideration is that Gary was a lefty, so his strongest hand is on the neck, so the dynamics would be a lot more intense. Slavishly copying another player by using the same gear is scarily expensive and on the whole pretty fruitless, I'd certainly try something like a Peavey 5150 or similar with a Superstrat as a starting point
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    create your own tone you robbing bastard...yours sincerely Gary
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16334
    edited April 2016
    I watched a bit of the Andertons one ( YouTube thought I'd like it, bit of a change from Americans eating British candy ) but I didn't think they were particularly close. Bluesy Gary Moore used a shed load of reverb , quite often the Hardwrire one ( although I don't know on what setting). His 'secret weapon' during the metal years was a Boss Dimension C - there's a Behringer clone or the Dimension M toneprint on the tc chorus. He used a lit of different guitars - Les Pauls, Heritage Les Paulish thing, SG, strat, tele, Les Paul Jr, Charvel - so it is pretty much in the fingers.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Was it someone on here who married the daughter of Gary Moore's second cousin?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4374
    mgaw;1042869" said:
    create your own tone you robbing bastard...yours sincerely Gary

I arrived at my tone after many years of trying to rip off those of my favourite guitarists and realising I wasn't quite there and those tones didn't suit the way my playing evolved anyway. I don't think it's a bad way to go ;)
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2234
    Go rob his grave for his fingers...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Just get a Rat.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited April 2016
    I watched him up close. Sadly that option is no more.

Watch the DVDs.
    And then watch them again.
    And then get a Left Handed Guitar. Probably a Les Paul.

But better still. Just be a fan and allow your own technique to develop a slightly different flavour of sound. Your sound.

• newi123newi123 Frets: 902
    Couple of great but brief Gary Moore Vids from when he appeared on `Rock School` in the 80s. This is my fav Gary period I think.........

Note the pedals are all standard Boss - more importantly, watch how he attacks the guitar. This is def one time when an awful lot of the sound is in the players hands. Once you have the basic Marshall thing goig on it`s all down to you! :-)

• gubblegubble Frets: 1767

The answer is very simple I'm afraid.

To sound just like Gary Moore you need to be Gary Moore.

As always the majority of tone and technique comes from the fingers of the individual - sure we can replicate some of it but that core ingredient is individual to each of us.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited April 2016
    There's a really good Anderton's video on this very subject just up in the last couple of days. I'll get a link - I can't get into YouTube on my work computer... back in a minute... :)

(sorry, I've only just seen the mention of this above, but I don't think anyone had posted the link yet. Hopefully it's still useful.)