Gary Moore Tone???? Urgent HELP!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    Hopefully this works...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4374
    That video for me sums up this whole thread - there's no magic box or secret pedal involved in getting Gary Moore's tone.  Just decent equipment and his technique is what made him sound like that.

And it's nice to see that they've avoided the Marshall DSL40C for a change - they threatened to in the last vid, even they admitted they'd been hammering the same amp a bit too hard!
  • I know the "tone is in your fingers" thing is not what you want to hear but..^They're all right, those who have said it above.

Dig in hard, be really strong with your left hand too (assuming you play right-handed).

• randellarandella Frets: 4374
    edited April 2016
    I know the "tone is in your fingers" thing is not what you want to hear but..^They're all right, those who have said it above.
    There's a beauty to it though - once you get good enough to realise this cast-iron truth, you'll have your own tone and won't give a toss about chasing Gary Moore's. 

Or Billy Gibbons's, Paul Kossoff's, Stevie Ray Vaughan's, or the bloke down the pub's (at least, that was my selection) :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    Did we ever find out why this was URGENT?
    How very rock and roll
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1767

Maybe the 23,400 day anniversary of his birth? That's coming up next Thursday week I believe?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14676
    edited April 2016 tFB Trader
    Guitar Players like Gary Moore have a fairly long career with various change in direction, so no definitive set-up that defines GM to the nth degree

I saw him live many times, but recall seeing him twice in 1 week in the early 90's - One night he had Soldano Heads, yet Marshall heads could be seen in the wings (not turned on) - The next night he must have reversed this set-up - Is this down to him not been happy with his rig and tone, or a different venue required a slightly different set-up - I suspect the former - He did tend to play with higher gain levels when playing life and to me he used to much

I tend to agree with various comments above that you develop your own rig that suits you, but still take the GM influence as your base camp or a reference point - A good valve Marshall set-up with a good distortion/overdrive pedal is your base camp, but obviously that still gives you a wide scoop - My advice would be to buy the best Marshall valve rig that suits your budget and indeed power requirements, then try 2/3 different pedals to enrich the tone and gain requirements - Even 2 different pedals might be an idea for subtle gain and hi-gain - Experiment and create your own voice out of such a journey
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Im at low levels in a bedroom So i cant turn it up.
    That's you're problem. Gary had his amps on 10 .. you can't get close with a valve amp on 1. Your best bet in a bedroom is a modelling amp.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72947
    Fretwired said:
    That's you're problem. Gary had his amps on 10 .. you can't get close with a valve amp on 1.
    Actually you can with a JVM and the right player.

And that's even without an attenuator.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 31087
    sweepy said:
    It's a bit pointless copying someone else's amp settings imho, 2 guitarists can make the same setup sound drastically different . Another thing you have to take into consideration is that Gary was a lefty, so his strongest hand is on the neck, so the dynamics would be a lot more intense. Slavishly copying another player by using the same gear is scarily expensive and on the whole pretty fruitless
    This is true.

David Gilmour has owned virtually everything I've owned and still, he sounds absolutely nothing like me.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited April 2016
    Fretwired;1043663" said:
    dystopia251 said:

That's you're problem. Gary had his amps on 10 .. you can't get close with a valve amp on 1. Your best bet in a bedroom is a modelling amp.
    With an attenuator you can get about 90% of the way there, all you losing at that stage is the speaker movement and the feeling of power
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    ICBM;1043727" said:
    Fretwired said:

dystopia251 said:

That's you're problem. Gary had his amps on 10 .. you can't get close with a valve amp on 1.

Actually you can with a JVM and the right player.

And that's even without an attenuator.
    Really? Are the JVM's pretty good?
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1767
    Fretwired said:

For anyone who heard Gary Moore live - from close to the stage or at the side of the stage - oh yes his amps were loud.

Painfully loud.

A glorious sound but probably responsible for my noise induced hearing loss in my left ear - thanks Gary !

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    gubble;1044319" said:
    For anyone who heard Gary Moore live - from close to the stage or at the side of the stage - oh yes his amps were loud.Painfully loud.A glorious sound but probably responsible for my noise induced hearing loss in my left ear - thanks Gary !
    Jeff Beck knackered my right ear on the Guitar Shop tour.

His tech tested his guitar before the gig started - just through the back line it was deafening. Terry Bozio's drums through the PA were a full on aural assault.

The loudest gig I've ever attended - and unpleasantly so....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    gubble;1044319" said:
    For anyone who heard Gary Moore live - from close to the stage or at the side of the stage - oh yes his amps were loud.Painfully loud.A glorious sound but probably responsible for my noise induced hearing loss in my left ear - thanks Gary !
    Jeff Beck knackered my right ear on the Guitar Shop tour.

His tech tested his guitar before the gig started - just through the back line it was deafening. Terry Bozio's drums through the PA were a full on aural assault.

The loudest gig I've ever attended - and unpleasantly so....
    I saw this tour at Manchester Apollo and recall the volume above all else so somewhat of a sad memory as I should remember it for other reasons - On the odd passage you could feel your jaw vibrate if you left your mouth slightly open - yes unpleasant
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    guitars4you;1044349" said:
    I saw this tour at Manchester Apollo and recall the volume above all else so somewhat of a sad memory as I should remember it for other reasons - On the odd passage you could feel your jaw vibrate if you left your mouth slightly open - yes unpleasant
    Exactly Mark - that was the gig I was at.
    tFB Trader
    guitars4you;1044349" said:
    Exactly Mark - that was the gig I was at.
    Coincidence we had the same 'complaint' Richard - I was near the desk/engineer and felt like asking him to sort it out
  • gubble said:
    Fretwired said:

For anyone who heard Gary Moore live - from close to the stage or at the side of the stage - oh yes his amps were loud.

Painfully loud.

A glorious sound but probably responsible for my noise induced hearing loss in my left ear - thanks Gary !

Second time I saw Gary Moore - probably 2/3 of the way back in a seated Wolves Civic Hall - my ears were still ringing by about 4 days later, and it is all down to him playing through 100-watters at deafening volumes. Nowt wrong with the volume of his band (in fact, the ratio of guitar to rest-of-band in the overall mix was totally out of whack, but what can the guys on the desk do when most of Moore's volume is coming directly from his amp not the PA?)

No wonder his own ears were f*cked!

Easily more punishing and damaging than Motorhead live. Sorry, Lem, but it's true!

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Gary Moore was my first ever gig (Run for Cover tour, Leicester De Montford Halls).

Agree on the mind numbing volume, we were right at the front and it was unreal - my mate fell off his motorbike when stationary the following day (it'd affected his middle ear).

How he controlled that I have no idea.

My favourite tone of his was the Victims of the Future strat era, I find the Les Paul sound easy to get - Les Paul, Marshall like amp, tubescreamer and delay - there you go. Getting that sound out of a strat? Never been close.

Reminds me of a quote I saw from Stevie Vai, he was a big Brian May fan and got to play through Brian's full rig. He said he sounded like a Brian May tribute act and then he handed the guitar back and heard the real thing.

I don't like Stevie Vai, but admire his technique and if he can't do it...
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    edited April 2016
    I'm probably in the minority here but I never really "got" Gary Moore, I can appreciate the stuff he did do and the earlier rockier stuff (Parisienne and Empty Rooms etc) made more sense to me but whether it was his solo gurns or what I don't know there was just something I didn't get.

As far as his tone is concerned to me its just a loud straight ahead Rock Tone, a lot of Gary's sound was his attack and Vibrato rather than what guitar/amp/pedal he used - from all of the footage I have seen of him, one thing that was immediately noticeable was the way he attacked notes and the confident authority in the way that he did this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom