Gary Moore Tone???? Urgent HELP!!!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Really? Are the JVM's pretty good?
    The Satriani one is - the other one is average.

All the modes on all the channels sound like a Marshall, so it's not the most versatile amp there is, but within that it does pretty much everything from true clean up to more gain than almost anyone would need, and very controllably even down to quite low volume. It won't sound truly like a Plexi or a 2203 - it doesn't have that big open roar - but it can sound quite like a more studio-polished version of one… if you see what I mean.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    ICBM;1044600" said:
    johnonguitar said:Really? Are the JVM's pretty good?

The Satriani one is - the other one is average.

All the modes on all the channels sound like a Marshall, so it's not the most versatile amp there is, but within that it does pretty much everything from true clean up to more gain than almost anyone would need, and very controllably even down to quite low volume. It won't sound truly like a Plexi or a 2203 - it doesn't have that big open roar - but it can sound quite like a more studio-polished version of one… if you see what I mean.

Yeah I get you. Started trawling some demos, the high gain sounds great but some of the lower gain sounds miss a little bit of something even though they sound nice.

It's a pleasant surprise to be honest!
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    and practice pulling "ive just shit my pants" faces
    I thought it was I've just caught my dick in my zip rather than I've shit my pants, clearly that's where I'm going wrong.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited April 2016
    I just picked up a second hand JVM Joe Satriani a few weeks ago. My mate that came along on the day was so impressed he's just got a second hand one himself.

My other high gain amp is a Friedman. For £600-700 second, the JVM must be one of the best high gain second hand buys out there IMO.

Reliable too by all accounts.

Try it with a 425a or 1960ax cabinet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    The best I ever heard Gary Moore was at the Manchester Apollo on the "Scars" tour where he played in a three piece with Cass Lewis and Darrin Mooney. There was a more variation in guitars from his "blues" albums; he played the red Strat played on the Hendrix-like numbers and there was a reverse Explorer.

That three-piece gave everyone so much space and his tone, from all the guitars, was majestic. I was in the balcony, only about 10 metres away from him in a perfect viewing position and his touch and control was utterly phenomonal.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I saw that tour in Nottingham at Rock City, even got to spend a few minutes with them on the tour bus after the gig.

Agreed, it was one of the best times I've seen him.. Totally jaw dropping at times, and he played the shit out of that red strat!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14676
    tFB Trader
    The best I ever heard Gary Moore was at the Manchester Apollo on the "Scars" tour where he played in a three piece with Cass Lewis and Darrin Mooney. There was a more variation in guitars from his "blues" albums; he played the red Strat played on the Hendrix-like numbers and there was a reverse Explorer.

That three-piece gave everyone so much space and his tone, from all the guitars, was majestic. I was in the balcony, only about 10 metres away from him in a perfect viewing position and his touch and control was utterly phenomonal.
    I thought that was one of his best albums - almost Free like and Hendrix like from that late 60's early 70's period - Great band behind him - would have liked to have seen more of this format -  - I've not played it for a while and will put it on again tonight

That Strat will be making a come back very soon with a John cruz limited run of 60 for the world and 6 for the UK - John is a big GM fan and sees this project as some form of homage to GM
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    Interesting on the JC strat run, wasn't aware of that. Beyond the obvious and already discussed attacking notes, mid-gain, volume etc I find that having bigger strings and a higher action will also help. If you've got 9s,top wrapped with a wafer low action you wont get close.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Any idea how much that JC Strat is likely to be?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14676
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:
    Any idea how much that JC Strat is likely to be?
    details to follow but looks like an 8kish - masterbuilt by John Cruz - 6 for the UK and 60 world - I can add more to this with a new link once I get additional info - Fender have not yet officially launched it but apparaently there are leaks from Fender on twitter
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    ouch! Thanks - please share when you get the details, but that's a chunk of change
  • randellarandella Frets: 4374
    edited April 2016
    peteri said:
    ouch! Thanks - please share when you get the details, but that's a chunk of change
    Chunk of change alright - you can't help but feel we're moving away from uncle Leo's vision just a touch.

Mind you, you can get a new, perfectly serviceable Fender-branded instrument for a few hundred quid, so maybe not.  Hourses/courses I guess, I don't doubt they'll sell the lot in minutes, even at circa 8,000 bones.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199