Gary Moore Tone???? Urgent HELP!!!

What's Hot
Hi, 

i have a jcm 800 2204 and heck of a pedal board. i have my gibo les paul and a fender strat. All amazing gear i dont mean to brag but!!!!!!

i still cant get that tone of the legend Gary Moore

what amp settings should i use and what should i have dialed on my tube overdrive, lets here your ideas guys ?
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10739
    Just turn it up.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Im at low levels in a bedroom So i cant turn it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    There's a decent 'Guitar Interactive' mag video on YT about this.

Clearly Gary was a high gain player but not always. It might help to have certain tracks in mind to try and emulate those specific tones.

I think it helps to have a trick up your sleeve in the form of an out of phase Les Paul too.

I think the core of the sound in later years though was at least one TS style pedal into an already cooking Marshall.

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Lots of mids!

What era are you going for?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27720
    Why's it "urgent"?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Tube screamer, set the amp to lower gains than you would need then add a tube screamer/mid hump OD pedal
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    TTony;1042640" said:
    Why's it "urgent"?
    Because with everything Gary Moore, you gotta get there as fast as you can
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    gain+gain+Compressor+volume

and practice pulling "ive just shit my pants" faces
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72723
    Im at low levels in a bedroom So i cant turn it up.
    Get a Marshall Powerbrake, and a Guv'nor pedal (Mk1).

Between the two of those you should be able to get the amp into the right ballpark. It will take a bit of experimentation to get it, at low volume - don't assume you need to crank the amp right up and turn the Powerbrake right down, although try that too. Most likely it will be a combination of master volume and attenuation, possibly with extra drive from the pedal.

If you use a TS-type pedal as well, put it in front of the Guv'nor.

A friend of mine who is very into Gary Moore does it with a JVM410JS and a 1936 2x12", though. It's more about setting it right than the actual amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    edited April 2016
    Andertons have just uploaded a video to YouTube about the Gary sound (more his blues phase) and there's an older one on there by guitar interactive. Both should give you some pointers.

You'll never sound exactly the same though because you haven't got his fingers......
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Is this a troll thread?

Maybe you just suck. Doing those descending pentatonic legato licks with your fist and second fingers the way he does gives a certain sound that's very particular.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know ill never sound like him!! i just want to try get as close as possible to his tone and the best way to do that is to find out other peoples views on it !
    dystopia251;1042661" said:
    I know ill never sound like him!! i just want to try get as close as possible to his tone and the best way to do that is to find out other peoples views on it !

Which particular tone are we talking about? He has varied wildly throughout his career.

My favourite sounds were on Back to the Blues

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    Whereas I preferred his Back on the Streets and Colosseum Il era tone
  • I love his tone when he was using the super strats !!!!!!!! that proper 80's sound< this is the sound i want to achieve with my strat!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5188
    I'd remove that heck of a pedal board, then add some gain from amp or one pedal, splash of reverb and you're done :)
    edited April 2016
    tone1;1042710" said:
    I'd remove that heck of a pedal board, then add some gain from amp or one pedal, splash of reverb and you're done :)
    Yeah its pretty much just an 80's shred tone

The JCM800 ain't going to do this at bedroom levels. Set it clean and run a Tubescreamer set for a cleanish boost into a medium dirty RAT.

Add some delay, aroun 314ms with the third repeat barely audible and some digital plate reverb

Make sure your Strats have modern voiced pickups.

Pretty much there

• johnonguitar;1042713" said:
    [quote="tone1;1042710"]I'd remove that heck of a pedal board, then add some gain from amp or one pedal, splash of reverb and you're done :)
    Yeah its pretty much just an 80's shred tone

The JCM800 ain't going to do this at bedroom levels. Set it clean and run a Tubescreamer set for a cleanish boost into a medium dirty RAT.

Add some delay, aroun 314ms with the third repeat barely audible and some digital plate reverb

Make sure your Strats have modern voiced pickups.

Pretty much there

[/quote]

thank you very much!!!!! i have a dd3 can u tell me the settings because i cant get nothing out of it its always to much 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7588
    With a digital delay pedal like the DD-3 to get those atmospheric 2-3 repeat delays for classic rock soling you need to run the fact level pretty low - fiddle about with the number of repeats and the overall level of the repeats until it sounds natural. It's a bit easier to achieve with a darker sounding delay or an analogue delay but you can get there with careful tweaking on a clean digital delay.

Also I second the advice to get an attenuator - gives you more options for dialling in a big amp
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • any Good Analogue Delays out there i can trade my dd3 for or sell then buy?