The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• anyone fancy trying BBQ smokers this is worth a punt at £31.90 delivered, not worth the RRP but worth what they are asking.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Beer Can Chicken.

Any of you guys done it?

I've never tried it. Is it sufficiently different from just marinating to make it worth the "has it fallen over" worry? :D 
  • Beer Can Chicken.

Any of you guys done it?

I've never tried it. Is it sufficiently different from just marinating to make it worth the "has it fallen over" worry? :D 

I have done it with cherry coke in the oven not with beer on the bbq..

cannot say I noticed anything special.. juiciest chickens I do are in the pressure cooker but you lose the roasted outer.
    Well, I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain

And I did some meat

The 2 bits of pork went very well.

The brisket was a bit dry. I should have taken it off about 30 mins earlier I reckon.

But look at that smoke ring!

I made up a dirty mayo and stuck it in a big sandwich. Tasted fantastic. The rub was just SPG with some chipotle flakes for a bit of heat.

and for fathers day my kids got me one of these:

If only they had given it to me on Saturday then I could have used it with the brisket! Still, the next weekend isn't far away!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • excellent stuff fella.. shame RE brisket buy you'll soon have it bang on, how much fat was on it? did you keep any liquid in the smoker?

how long was the total cook?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited June 2016
    Do you have the required uniform for being a BBQ smoker?

Cargo shorts, Hawaiian shirt, socks & sandals.
    You get to choose between an unkept goatee or an overly manicured moustache.

Basically these guys:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    If you can grow that beard, then I'll allow it.
    excellent stuff fella.. shame RE brisket buy you'll soon have it bang on, how much fat was on it? did you keep any liquid in the smoker?

how long was the total cook?
    There's wasn't a lot of fat on the brisket. It was a supermarket special rather than from a butcher as I ran out of time.

As for the time - how long does it take to drink a case of beer? About that long!

I could do with temp probe that I can leave in. Temp when I took it off was about 220f. I think that is too hot and that's why it had started to dry.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Well, I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain

And I did some meat

The 2 bits of pork went very well.

The brisket was a bit dry. I should have taken it off about 30 mins earlier I reckon.

But look at that smoke ring!

I made up a dirty mayo and stuck it in a big sandwich. Tasted fantastic. The rub was just SPG with some chipotle flakes for a bit of heat.

and for fathers day my kids got me one of these:

If only they had given it to me on Saturday then I could have used it with the brisket! Still, the next weekend isn't far away!

Nice one, I've got the same smoker. I did brisket and chicken on mine yesterday. The brisket had a salt sugar onion garlic paprika and coffee home made rub. The recipe has the last hour in foil with a cup of coffee chucked in. Really nice.

The chicken was cooked in a home made bbq sauce, sugar salt, mustard powder and tomato puree. Both were cooked for 4 hours and rested for 30 mins.

The brisket was ok but the chicken was the best ever. It was impossible to carve it. Oh I forgot instead of injecting brine the recipe said to put the chicken in a sealed bag with garlic and onion brine. I should have taken pictures.

I've never done a coffee based rub.

I'll have to try that.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I don't actually know what I'm doing so I follow the book we have. It's an American one. The coffee does work though.
    I have a couple of books

"Slow Fire" beginners guide to BBQ
    "Let there be meat"

Both pretty good for ideas.
  • think its time for me to invest in a Smokenator
    Got one of these

It's excellent for a long smoke.

The thick probe get the internal air temp and the long bent one goes in the meat. The wires are ok up to 700 degrees so the probes are just left in.

The receiver unit can be set to make a noise if the temp is too low, or too high or even when the meat internal temp has hit target.

• mmm this has caught my interest, fits on a 57cm Weber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW5aK28Rbmg
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited August 2016
    BBQs should be banned.  As should private fireworks and garden bonfires.  neighbours, too.

If you want to eat outside, then cook it inside and then take it outside.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @strumjoughlamps ;

Riverside Garden Centre were doing a special on the official Weber pizza attachment. 

I think they are end of line - don't know if Weber are replacing them or just ending the product, but it might be worth a look.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    I'm in the market for a new barbecue. @fretmeister @strumjoughlamps ;which Weber should I go for and where do I get a decent deal from?

Prices vary quite a lot over the year.

For a BBQ (rather than a dedicated smoker) - I'd go with a Weber Premium Kettle. 57cm size.

RRP is about £230 - but a few places have them at about £160

http://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/weber-original-kettle-premium-57cm.html

https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/weber-57cm-original-kettle-premium-kettle-barbecue.html?gclid=CJjMjbmOqM4CFWIW0wodBVICtw

Riverside have a few deals with other stuff - like chimney starts and covers etc. Sometimes they can be good value, but sometimes it's a better deal to buy the extras elsewhere.

There is a cheaper Kettle than the Premium, but then you don't get the ash catcher on the bottom - and that thing is really worth having.

If you want to spend over £400 you can get the kettle BBQs built into a rolling table, but I think they are over-priced. I have good folding garden tables for £12 !

BUY GOOD COAL

If you are just doing burgers, then cheap coal is fine. But if you want to do some low & slow smoking then cheap coal burns out too fast and you'll be topping it up every 5 mins.

I get my Weber briquettes from Wowbbq on line. If you order four (or more) 8kg bags then there is free delivery. On a low and slow I can get a good 4 hours out of a chimney full (and even more with minion or snake methods)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom