The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• @strumjoughlamps ;

Riverside Garden Centre were doing a special on the official Weber pizza attachment. 

I think they are end of line - don't know if Weber are replacing them or just ending the product, but it might be worth a look.
    cannot find anything online. bet its still too rich for my cheap ass :)

Bowks said:
    I'm in the market for a new barbecue. @fretmeister @strumjoughlamps ;which Weber should I go for and where do I get a decent deal from?

I have the Weber 57cm Bar B Kettle, think its about the most basic they come, best BBQ I have ever owned.

end of summer you will be seeing offer pop up, the cheapest prices usually come from B&Q/Homebase/Argos when the season is over.. my £100+ bbq cost me £30 in a B&Q fire sale, £40 pizza stone was £8.. so wait a few weeks see what happens.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24337
    The basic Kettle has the solid grill - the one up has hinged sections that mean more coal / smoke wood can be added without removing the grill.

I find it really useful!

• Bowks said:
    I'm in the market for a new barbecue. @fretmeister @strumjoughlamps which Weber should I go for and where do I get a decent deal from?

http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-compact-47cm-charcoal-bbq-black.asp

extra 10% off ends tonight
    As I haven’t got much else to do. Thread bump.

Just got a rotisserie unit for my Weber. Hopefully going to give it a run with some chickens this weekend. Going to run it over hickory smoke.

Should be fun!

The unit I got is really well regarded and under half price of the exorbitant official one. I assembled it this evening and tested the motor.
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    As I haven’t got much else to do. Thread bump.

Just got a rotisserie unit for my Weber. Hopefully going to give it a run with some chickens this weekend. Going to run it over hickory smoke.

Should be fun!

The unit I got is really well regarded and under half price of the exorbitant official one. I assembled it this evening and tested the motor.
    Im very interested the rotisserie goes, ive been looking at them for my weber. Lockdown and good weather = bbq action
    As long as I can get something to cook for the weekend I'll let you know.

The quality seems very good for an aftermarket unit.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited April 2020
    Has any seen "BBQ pit boys" on youtube

Last one I saw of theirs was beer steamed burgers. they seem to do some mad recipes but at the same time it all looks rather nice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I’ve tried a lot of the BBQPB recipes.

Some are really good.

Check out Malcolm Reed on the channel How to BBQ Right.
    He’s a legend. 
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    H’well..

I'm strictly Propane.

yep.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    H’well..

I'm strictly Propane.

yep.
    thats not a BBQ just a glorified camping cooker

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    I have the Weber Kettle 57cm. I like it, it sat out all winter under a cover and is good as new this season. I am having trouble keeping heat with charcoal briquettes from local Tesco though over last couple of cooks. I Used them last year and they retained heat well but can't get much more than 45 minutes proper heat this year. Old stock? Might order some Weber charcoal. 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

On the recipe front, last year I made some armadillo eggs. Recommended.

https://heygrillhey.com/bacon-wrapped-armadillo-eggs/

edited April 2020
    OK how do make your burgers

just meat?
    add a binding ingredient?
    mixing in seasoning and sources
    mixing in onions
    do you mix in cheese or other fat
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12383
    Mixing in onions, 1 egg and some breadcrumbs and seasoning, herbs.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1108
    Anyone use a Kamado style? Looks like Aldi have a 'cheap' one on special soon.

phil_b said:
    OK how do make your burgers

just meat?
    add a binding ingredient?
    mixing in seasoning and sources
    mixing in onions
    do you mix in cheese or other fat
    Simple for me.
    If they are beef ones - just salt & pepper.
    But I use 20% mince so make sure there is enough far content.

wibble said:

I've never tried one. BBQ forums are quite split between Weber and Kamado style fans. It's worse than Strat v Les Paul! :D 

I've got a Weber Kettle 57 cm and a Weber Smokey Mountain water smoker.

I use the kettle 90% of the time, but nothing beats the WSM for proper long slow cooks of 10 - 20 hours. 

I'm planning my annual 15 lb full pack brisket smoke at the moment. If I set up the WSM properly then it will burn for 20 hours + without needing to be refilled, holding a temp of 250F to 275F. I've got a wireless thermometer unit with meat and air temp probes so it warns me if the fire is going out, and when the meat has hit my target temp. I usually put it on in the late afternoon so it will be ready for about lunchtime the following day.

But first, this weekend is rotisserie chicken time.

I'll be rubbing them in a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil with some smoked paprika, and also injecting the breast meat with the same mixture.

Can't wait!
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1108
    wibble said:

I've never tried one. BBQ forums are quite split between Weber and Kamado style fans. It's worse than Strat v Les Paul! :D 

I've got a Weber Kettle 57 cm and a Weber Smokey Mountain water smoker.

I use the kettle 90% of the time, but nothing beats the WSM for proper long slow cooks of 10 - 20 hours. 

I'm planning my annual 15 lb full pack brisket smoke at the moment. If I set up the WSM properly then it will burn for 20 hours + without needing to be refilled, holding a temp of 250F to 275F. I've got a wireless thermometer unit with meat and air temp probes so it warns me if the fire is going out, and when the meat has hit my target temp. I usually put it on in the late afternoon so it will be ready for about lunchtime the following day.

But first, this weekend is rotisserie chicken time.

I'll be rubbing them in a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil with some smoked paprika, and also injecting the breast meat with the same mixture.

Can't wait!

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    @fretmeister ; - pics or you're just making this up while cracking one off to old Nigella re-runs...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

@McToot ;

Last years...

Bare brisket. 15 lb of amazing beef from Turner & George butchers

Salt, pepper, and a little garlic

Minion method for coals, Oak and Hickory woods

About 2AM

Ready for resting

After I split the flat from the point - using the point to make burnt ends. The cubes could have been a little smaller, but so what!

and just for fun, a pic from a few years ago of a butterflied pork shoulder with a lovely bark, you can see how moist the meat is in the cracks in the bark. That was a rub with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, garlic, onion and a shit load of brown sugar, with a little american yellow mustard to help it get in the cracks.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom