The Ugliest Car Ever Made?

What's Hot

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    Maxi's were brilliant cars, you find me a modern car that can fit 5 kids on the back seat!
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72828
    edited May 2016
    FX_Munkee said:
    Maxi's were brilliant cars, you find me a modern car that can fit 5 kids on the back seat!
    At least six actually, and two on the front passenger seat. All without seat belts, of course.

Where I grew up in Herefordshire a woman who ran the local small bus company would occasionally do that taking school kids home, if she thought there weren't enough for it to be worth using the actual bus! My parents forbade me and my sister from ever getting in it when they found out that's what she did. The fact that she was as blind as a bat even before the car filled up with tobacco smoke probably didn't help…

My aunt had one too - the colour was called something like "Autumn Russet" officially, but my dad always called it Dog Shhh Brown.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @icbm If your Aunt's Maxi was Dog Poo Brown, did it have the orange upholstery too?

The Maxi was a hatchback wasn't it? Legend has it that the Allegro should have been a hatchback, but that the BL heads wanted to reserve that feature only for the Maxi, to-ahem- maximise it as a USP.

Honestly, though, I don't mind that BL brown colour too much. I've seen Stags in brown and it looked okay. But then I do like Triumph Stags.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    My Dean got resprayed in a fabulous BL shade called Tara Green - here it is on yet another Maxi.

Say what you want about British Leyland, some of those colours were gorgeous.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Ive used Tara Green on a whole load of DIY pedals. I'm on my third can of it!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I always liked the shade of orange BL used to use from the late 70s right through to the early 80s Austin days.

A nice orange MGB with black rubber bumpers always appeals to me. Purists will probably shudder. Who cares.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22409
    This.

I don't care how fast it goes and that you pay seven figures for one. It looks like a deformed Audi R8 designed by a six year old and then built by the same factory in China that does Hot Wheel knockoffs sold on market stalls. Expensive tacky shite. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    You can get a whole 3-piece band in a Maxi incl PA columns on the roof rack. The engines were not over-stressed either so were unlikely to blow up if you opened the taps up. Shame there were other aspects of unreliability cause by British Leyland "design" and manufacture.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    This is pretty bad. Owners used to say you could fit a proper mattress in the back but neglected to mention no women would even talk to you if you had one.

My parents had a maxi in that colour 'black tulip' iirc. Load lugger extrordinair for it's time. So much so that years later my sensible head got a rusty faded red one, that however had a 1500cc engine that made hard work of things. Also the exhaust had that flexiblejoint at the back of the engine to take up the slack of the transverse engine torque movement, always seemed to blow just after 12 months warranty on a new one. Good for gear lugging but rusted badly and draughty with poor door seals.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Bucket said:

Say what you want about British Leyland, some of those colours were gorgeous.
    If you drove around the longbridge area of Brum back in the 70s pretty much all the house doors were BL colours, I can't think why they went out of business?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    nick79 said:
    I love Princesses, my Mum had one when I was a kid.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

Plenty of cars in here, but here's the ugliest bike ever made. Morbidelli V8, it's a pile of sick with tyres.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    Also the Maxi was the first British Hatchback IIRC
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    Blimey - all this Maxi love! I grew up in a Ford only household so anything built by Red Robbo and his mates was off limits. Maybe this has affected my judgement. :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    [quote="ICBM;1087007"]kjdowd said:In the "how to ruin a great car" category, may I present the jaguar xjs estate

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22705/lot/308/Be fair. At least there's somewhere to sleep when it breaks down miles from anywhere, unlike the normal version.

:)

Very true. I had 6.0 V12 XJS for while. Lovely car, but it was always a toss up as to what would stop it first - a breakdown or the need to spend several thousand pounds filling it with petrol again. Neither was ever more than an hour away though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    hobbio said:

Plenty of cars in here, but here's the ugliest bike ever made. Morbidelli V8, it's a pile of sick with tyres.

That looks cool, like an 80s toy robot.

My V key is broken
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12463
    edited May 2016
    holnrew;1088410" said:
    hobbio said:

It looks like it should be made of Lego. Or came out of a kinder egg.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Ford KA was/is unpleasant 
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    holnrew said:
    hobbio said:

I see you and raise you a Velocette LE

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Classic/Velocette LE.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ZX9EKfbk--/dmnbdbaymxa4jur97uwh.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>