EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72948
    edited May 2016
    Garthy said:

Many soundbites can be deconstructed by pedantic twats.
    Nice.

Your snappy slogan is wrong, because whoever wrote it didn't bother to check a basic fact about the EU, which seems typical of the Leave campaign - although that does probably make it an appropriate slogan for it, as does continuing to use it after being told it's wrong.

Both sides are almost as bad though, I'll give you that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36401744

We need informed, accurate, even pedantic, facts about what staying in or leaving the EU means - not idiotic soundbites.

I see someone has posted that on the poll now too... brilliant.

It also sounds like it was nicked from Chicken Run.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Narrow lead for 'Out' at the moment.

I wonder whether Cameron and Boris will be monitoring the FB vote?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9969
    edited May 2016
    Emp_Fab;1088368" said:
    The EU is run by unelected officials.  Remaining in the EU means we are obliged to comply with a lot of legislation that originates from that organisation, run by unelected officials.  You have no say in who they are or what they decide.  That's not democratic.
    A bit like our own government then, what with the house of Lords and with more people not voting for the party in power than did vote for them
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24615
    Oh, absolutely !  However, at least our lot try to give us the impression we live in a democracy.  In the Govt's defence (and that's not a phrase you'll hear from me often !), they did give the public the opportunity to get a foot in the door of PR several years ago, and the majority of the electorate said "NO ! - We don't want anything that is closer to representing our real wishes, we want the current system where we all vote for one party and a different one gets in".

I sometimes wonder whether, given how demonstrably thick the majority of people are, it's really a good idea to conduct referenda on issues more complex than 'cake or death'.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24615
    P.S.
    Emp_Fab said:
    How are you guys grabbing the poll image ?  I wanted to post the latest state but it's not actually an image on the page.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    To be fair to the electorate, the government did rig the PR referendum too, by not making it about PR.

We were given the choice of the bad system we have or a slightly worse one, so it's not entirely right to blame the voters for the result.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Talked to many people about this and the overwhelming Remain vote is from people who do not like change and think that "Remain = Nothing Whatsoever In My Life Will Change!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    And the overwhelming Leave vote seems to be from people who think that unpredictable change will automatically be better, because Europe is foreigners telling us what to do.

There are valid arguments both ways, but probably at least three quarters of people will vote without understanding any of them... since that's what happens in elections.

Emp_Fab said:
    P.S.
    Emp_Fab said:
    How are you guys grabbing the poll image ?  I wanted to post the latest state but it's not actually an image on the page.

Click on the link, and the one the says 'view'.

Derrr.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ICBM;1088693" said:
    And the overwhelming Leave vote seems to be from people who think that unpredictable change will automatically be better, because Europe is foreigners telling us what to do.

There are valid arguments both ways, but probably at least three quarters of people will vote without understanding any of them... since that's what happens in elections.
    Agreed. People don't like complexity and will vote by their gut feel. If they vote at all...
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Latest poll results

Emp_Fab said:
    P.S.
    Emp_Fab said:

;) - Print screen, crop, upload to imgur
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Drew_fx said:
    karltone said:
    I don't think there is a possibility to reform the EU. The EU has been on a road which was always the same road virtually since its inception, it may of had a few minor diversions, but its still on the same road. The choice is whether you want to go to the that destination or to change path and go in a different direction. 
    This is kinda where my head is at too.

And fundamentally, the arguments all flying around are so impenetrable to me, that all I have are the raw principles... and the EU is not a democratic institution, therefore I am swayed by the Leave camp for that reason alone.
    Agree too, I'm pro Europe and pro European people.  I am anti EU though.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Sambostar said:
    Drew_fx said:
    karltone said:
    I don't think there is a possibility to reform the EU. The EU has been on a road which was always the same road virtually since its inception, it may of had a few minor diversions, but its still on the same road. The choice is whether you want to go to the that destination or to change path and go in a different direction. 

And fundamentally, the arguments all flying around are so impenetrable to me, that all I have are the raw principles... and the EU is not a democratic institution, therefore I am swayed by the Leave camp for that reason alone.
    For me, one of the most disappointing aspects of the Remain campaign and some of the media coverage is the seedy undercurrent of insinuating people wanting to leave the EU as racist/bigot/little Englanders (insert stereotype as appropriate) - One of the worst examples of this was that shocking Saatchi and Saatchi 'Black vote' poster with the thug pointing at the Asian woman. I'm pro Europe, I'm pro European trade agreements but there's plenty of good arguments for leave that are worth considering and completely valid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    It's the same treatment as if you ever voted UKIP, want independent and accountable politicians and a Parliament that has to work for a living and is democratic you are called a racist.  Like I said I am pro Europe, but we'll never get there by negotiating whilst staying within the EU.  Everyday we lose another part of our democratic freedom and our spineless politicians get weaker.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2950
    Yeah, if you could stop branding EU sceptics as dumb racists...

That'd be great.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4292
    edited May 2016
    Those who think that we can reform from within are blind

Merkel has her own agenda. She calls the shots and has the final say in everything that the EU passes

She trampled all over Cameron and his so called demands. The U.K looks pretty pathetic and weak right now
    eSully said:
    Sambostar said:
    Drew_fx said:
    karltone said:

For me, one of the most disappointing aspects of the Remain campaign and some of the media coverage is the seedy undercurrent of insinuating people wanting to leave the EU as racist/bigot/little Englanders (insert stereotype as appropriate) - One of the worst examples of this was that shocking Saatchi and Saatchi 'Black vote' poster with the thug pointing at the Asian woman. I'm pro Europe, I'm pro European trade agreements but there's plenty of good arguments for leave that are worth considering and completely valid.
    Where Saatchi and Saatchi went wrong was in not placing a suicide bomber on the other end of the see-saw.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9969
    Fortheloveofguitar;1088781" said:
    Those who think that we can reform from within are blind

Merkel has her own agenda. She calls the shots and has the final say in everything that the EU passes

She trampled all over Cameron and his so called demands. The U.K looks pretty pathetic and weak right now
    That suggests we need a less shit leader to me more than anything
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • thecolourbox;1088888" said:
    [quote="Fortheloveofguitar;1088781"]Those who think that we can reform from within are blind

That suggests we need a less shit leader to me more than anything[/quote]

Possibly yes but Merkel won't allow anyone to sway her from her agenda

There's nothing that will stop her even if we leave

At least we will be out of it and leave the rest to crumble in what is already a sinking ship
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929

The poll link won't work for me.

I vote LEAVE.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw