A black Henry VIII

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    You're talking about the characters. I was talking about the audience. If the portayal is neither redemptive (I want to see how evil is beaten, how he gets his comeuppance) nor attractive (I want to see more of this character and what he will do) to the audience, then they won't engage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    edited June 2016
    Chalky said:
    You're talking about the characters. I was talking about the audience. If the portayal is neither redemptive (I want to see how evil is beaten, how he gets his comeuppance) nor attractive (I want to see more of this character and what he will do) to the audience, then they won't engage.
    Both those examples I gave the audience engages with - Ganz's Hitler in particular. I've heard a lot of people say that the most disturbing thing about that film is how you almost sympathise with Hitler. His portrayal isn't redemptive or attractive - Hitler comes across as a domineering monster who will destroy everyone around him - but it's absolutely compelling to watch.

It takes a great actor to do that.

I'd also argue the case for Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd - easily his best performance, exactly because he makes no attempt to soften the character but you still end up sympathising with him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I don't think it matters one way or the other, the idea is to suspend belief and if the actor playing the part is good you will do.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Chalky said:
    Clarky;1099265" said:
    I think the actor chosen should be all about who has the best most convincing fit for the roleespecially if it has historical significance

it'd be all wrong if Optimus Prime was cast as a girl
    The key phrase is 'most convincing'. But its also weasel-wording. Two main problems:

To convince an audience requires not only an actor to deliver with conviction but also an audience to suspend disbelief and accept that conviction. Casting is as much about understanding audience acceptance.

Convincing in which ways? For example, it is no good being utterly convincing as the evil bad guy if there is nothing in the actor's portrayal that is either redemptive or attractive. The audience will not engage.
    I doubt I'd be quite so convinced of the super evilness of Darth Vader if he had the voice of Paul Gascoine
    play every note as if it were your first
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Some people losing it over a black Hermoine in the stage Harry Poter, here's a pretty clear cut case of it not being important.

Fictional, literary character.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

Clarky said:

I doubt I'd be quite so convinced of the super evilness of Darth Vader if he had the voice of Paul Gascoine
    Or David Prowse, for that matter...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    lloyd said:
    Some people losing it over a black Hermoine in the stage Harry Poter, here's a pretty clear cut case of it not being important.

Are they right or wrong though?
    ICBM;1099702" said:
    Chalky said:

Both those examples I gave the audience engages with - Ganz's Hitler in particular. I've heard a lot of people say that the most disturbing thing about that film is how you almost sympathise with Hitler. His portrayal isn't redemptive or attractive - Hitler comes across as a domineering monster who will destroy everyone around him - but it's absolutely compelling to watch.

It takes a great actor to do that.

I'd also argue the case for Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd - easily his best performance, exactly because he makes no attempt to soften the character but you still end up sympathising with him.
    But Ganz portrayal IS attractive - the audience wants to see more of this character and what he will do.
    I'm not sure you'd call that "attractive".

• SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    Clarky said:

Joe Pasquale?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    ICBM;1099965" said:
    I'm not sure you'd call that "attractive".
    Attractive is not limited to likeable. The popularity of crime drama, true crime and other documentaries of violence, even the kill scenes in wildlife programmes, all rely on being attractive in a non-likeable way.

ICBM said:
    Clarky said:

Or David Prowse, for that matter…
    good spot…. wis awarded
    Sporky said:
    Clarky said:

Joe Pasquale?
    that I'd love to see… lmao
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    lloyd said:

Read the books .. her background and colour were never revealed. The film directors cast a white actor but the author never specified her colour or ethnicity. And besides, it's a stage play - open to artistic interpretation. All the actors could be black.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Fretwired;1100292" said:
    lloyd said:

Read the books .. her background and colour were never revealed. The film directors cast a white actor but the author never specified her colour or ethnicity. And besides, it's a stage play - open to artistic interpretation. All the actors could be black.
    Fretwired beat me to it :D

It doesn't bother me at all that Hermione was given to a black actress for the stage play and as Fret said her ethnicity was never divulged.

While I agree with the actor or actress cast having to portray a character well enough to convince the audience for a couple of hours I'm not in favour of just any old actor being given a part of a real life figure simply because they happen to be a better actor for reasons already mentioned

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    In the upcoming Dark Tower movie, Roland Deschain will be played by Idris Elba.

What they're gonna do with the whole split-personality-racist Detta Holmes who ends up falling in love with a white Roland Deschain despite her best wishes, is anyone's game.

This stuff isn't really clear cut.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    quarky said:
    lloyd said:

Are they right or wrong though?
    Who? The casters or the people moaning about it?

I think that's pretty clear in my post no?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Yep, your opinion is pretty clear, but I guess it was a general question. A lot of people obviously felt that it was wrong to cast a black Hermione, just as they would about HVIII. I know there posts here saying that it is different because Hermione is fictional and is not described as being black/white or whatever, but to my it shouldn't really matter in either case.