David Cameron has resigned

What's Hot

Comments

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited June 2016
    Mkjackary said:
    I think that is one of the best speeches he has ever given, and I think he has rather selflessly "taken one for the team".

He has lost his legacy, and therefore was unable to stave off his new title : 'The most woefully inadequate prime minister of the UK - ever'.

So at the last minute to regain some kind of credibility, he filled his speech with empty words. Even when he his sinking, he's unable to admit the job was too much for him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Bank of England giving a very strong speech aswell, fingers crossed this calms down some of the sterling and ftse madness
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    siremoon said:
    He clearly had no choice.  The EU didn't take the leave threat seriously and the "deal" he got reflected that.  He could and should have negotiated something better.  If he had then the outcome today might have been different.
    Even Thatcher or Blair in their pomp would have not got a better deal from the EU. Merkel & Junker thought the UK was bluffing and acted accordingly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    edited June 2016
    rlw said:
    At least he didn't call an election, which would have the icing on the cake....
    Give it time. It's only ten to nine on day one.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72416
    Mkjackary said:
    Fingers crossed either another candidate comes out and is strong, or that Boris wisens up and stops being a goofy wanker. 
    Boris isn't a goofy wanker, he's a dangerous right-winger.

rlw said:
    He needs to.

He has lost his legacy, and therefore was unable to stave off his new title : 'The most woefully inadequate prime minister of the UK - ever'.
    Sir Anthony Eden can now rest peacefully, no longer Britain's worst PM.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    Give it time. It's only ten to nine on day one.
    It's not his job to do that anymore. 

The next leader will need to decide if they want to shore up their mandate before starting negotiations.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Mkjackary said:
    Bank of England giving a very strong speech aswell, fingers crossed this calms down some of the sterling and ftse madness
    Carney, you mean. 
    BoE are useless. They've done nowt other than keep interest rates at all-time lows and give handouts for people to take on massive mortgages they can't afford.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    ICBM said:
    Sir Anthony Eden can now rest peacefully, no longer Britain's worst PM.H
    He sure can, Cameron took his badge within a year of office.

ICBM said:
    Sir Anthony Eden can now rest peacefully, no longer Britain's worst PM.
    How long do you reckon Cameron can hold the title? I don't see any pro-Brexit Tories who are exactly Pitt the Younger. 

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    DiscoStu said:
    Cameron called the referendum but lost it. He couldn't have possibly governed a country who voted against him, he had to go.
    He also said he would trigger article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty if we voted out. By quitting, will that still happen? 
    If the people want out he has to invoke Article 50. There is 'no, let's wait a bit' it is 'in' or 'out' and the people want 'out'.

Good luck to what's left of the UK, I'm pleased I can watch the train wreck from afar.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Excellent news. In a couple of weeks time to buy UK and short France
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Independently wealthy public school boy resigns.........'Dummy spat out' shock.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    It'll be interesting to see which other EU governments submit to demands for having their own referendums. Currently political parties from France leading the way, with Belgium, Italy and Denmark all making similar noises. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I thought it was fairly common knowledge that Cameron would have to resign if he lost? Actually, part of me wonders if this whole referendum was an elaborate Yes Minister style plot by the Tory grandees to ease Cameron out of power. Call me Dave wasn't nearly right wing enough for them.

Can't see Boris getting elected as party leader tbh, he still has too much of the scruffy buffoon about him. Osborne will get it I think. Oh joy.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Richardj said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Cameron called the referendum but lost it. He couldn't have possibly governed a country who voted against him, he had to go.
    He also said he would trigger article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty if we voted out. By quitting, will that still happen? 
    If the people want out he has to invoke Article 50. There is 'no, let's wait a bit' it is 'in' or 'out' and the people want 'out'.

Good luck to what's left of the UK, I'm pleased I can watch the train wreck from afar.
    It's not that straightforward. By constitution, only the PM can trigger Article 50. Parliament can pass a motion instructing him not to trigger it.
    Plus the referendum vote was just an open question to the populace. He said he would stand by the decision but he doesn't have to if he decides it is not in the country's interest.
    boogieman said:

Can't see Boris getting elected as party leader tbh, he still has too much of the scruffy buffoon about him. Osborne will get it I think. Oh joy.
    Nah, Osborne's wagon has been hitched to Cameron's all along. I suspect he'll resign too. 

First signs are that Boris, Theresa May, Michael Gove (who says he's not interested) and Ruth Davidson are potential candidates. Telegraph says Osborne too, but I still think he's tainted by having been Cameron's right hand man.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Also, he doesn't have to do it right away. I mean, he doesn't have to do it at all, but it'd be madness not to. We do need some breathing room before we set the clock ticking though.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Cameron hinted at an interim PM, which the new incumbent may well turn out to be.

I can see Daniel Hannan being parachuted into a safe seat and becoming a front-runner in the post-interim period.

Actually, I'm not terribly busy at the moment, I dare say I could have a go.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited June 2016
    DiscoStu;1123475" said:
    Richardj said:

DiscoStu said:

Cameron called the referendum but lost it. He couldn't have possibly governed a country who voted against him, he had to go.He also said he would trigger article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty if we voted out. By quitting, will that still happen? 

It's not that straightforward. By constitution, only the PM can trigger Article 50. Parliament can pass a motion instructing him not to trigger it.

Plus the referendum vote was just an open question to the populace. He said he would stand by the decision but he doesn't have to if he decides it is not in the country's interest.
    I don't know if you missed his press conference this morning but he won't invoke article 50. He'll let the new pm do it when that person comes to power so article 50 won't be invoked until October at the earliest and maybe later

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited June 2016
    ICBM;1123364" said:
    Mkjackary said:Fingers crossed either another candidate comes out and is strong, or that Boris wisens up and stops being a goofy wanker. 

Boris isn't a goofy wanker, he's a dangerous right-winger.

Oh I agree he is a right winger, and I think the reason he is dangerous is because nobody realises he so right wing, because it is hidden behind the zip lining and stupid hair.

To become a serious candidate he will have to become less goofy, and in doing so move over to the middle a bit. Imo anyway.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?